Tagan 380W PS - Big change (BAD)

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

render

Tagan 380W PS - Big change (BAD)

Post by render » Tue May 04, 2004 6:48 pm

TAGAN TG380-U01 380 Watt Review
http://www.gamer-network.com/reviews_re ... 507&id=249

Here's the one I bought:
Last edited by render on Tue May 04, 2004 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NeilBlanchard

Welcome!

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue May 04, 2004 6:51 pm

Hello & Welcome to SPRC!

A quick comment -- you can use the [Img] rather than the [url] to get those pictures to show up here...a second comment is that they are not working for me. :cry:

So, without the benefit of the pictures, are you saying that you got a different unit than the one in the review?

[edit] Aha! Now they are showing up -- you must be editing them as I'm looking... :P Yup, that's a different looking unit: smaller and more plain heatsinks, and different circuit boards... :x

render

Post by render » Tue May 04, 2004 7:23 pm

Before: Universal 95 - 250 Volt 3 year warranty
After: 115/230vac 1 year warranty

I just got the power supply for ajump.com. crap, I'm pissed.

NeilBlanchard

...have you tried it?

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed May 05, 2004 2:56 am

Hello:

Have you tried this PS in a system? The drop in the warranty is not great, but they may have actually *improved* things -- the large circuit board the was right above the intake fan probably messed up the air flow. And who's to say the other HS's actually were better -- if the air flow is improved in yours, then the HS would not necessarily need to be as big.

I would try it before making a judgement on how good or quiet it is.

[Edit] the change in the voltage (does yours have a switch?) may indicate that yours may have either passive PFC or no PFC -- did the reviewed unit definitely have active PFC? If you want active PFC, hopefully you can still RMA it after opening the case... :? [/Edit]

render

Post by render » Wed May 05, 2004 8:16 am

I have not installed this PS yet. (will do it tonight after I add extra heatsinks)

"did the reviewed unit definitely have active PFC?"

Yes, and mine doesn't.
"the large circuit board the was right above the intake fan" - I think this is the active PFC unit.

Greg_R

Post by Greg_R » Thu May 06, 2004 2:25 pm

It looks like they only changed the 380W model. I recently received a 480W model and it has the huge black heatsinks...

Ragnarok

Post by Ragnarok » Sat May 08, 2004 4:33 am

whats this PSU like noise wise? I ask because none of the review that i've seen ,and there are many, haven't gone to the same detail as an SPCR review, though no one appears to say a bad word about it.

These 480w versions are appearing all over online stores in the UK and Europe at a very reasonable £60-70.

I hope one of the reviewers here gets one to review soon.

alglove

Post by alglove » Sun May 09, 2004 7:48 am

Actually, I seem to recall a few months ago, there were two 380W models on Tagan's website, though there is only one now. I seem to remember that the second one sounded a bit more like a "standard" power supply, so that is probably the one you got.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Sun May 09, 2004 1:05 pm

alglove wrote:Actually, I seem to recall a few months ago, there were two 380W models on Tagan's website, though there is only one now. I seem to remember that the second one sounded a bit more like a "standard" power supply, so that is probably the one you got.
Ah, now I can provide an answer to render: look at this review (made by our friend Kostik!). Count the differences. :D

Does the PSU have any revision code etc. marked anywhere? (not that the limited voltage range would be an excellent way to ID these "duds" from the good ones... or maybe this is a problem in US/Canada models only?)

Cheers,

Jan

GlassMan

Post by GlassMan » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:15 am

This will be a problem for a while, active pfc is required in Europe. You got caught in the transition . Always check part #'s at the site, on the invoice and the package. This is a good rule of thumb for any pc part as there are always updated parts coming out, and older parts in the system.

A-jump is an authorized reseller, but their policy is if you open it, it's yours.