CPU Idle Performance??

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jimbobUK

CPU Idle Performance??

Post by jimbobUK » Mon Aug 26, 2002 7:58 am

I was just wondering if anyone else had tried this.. after reading about it in a post i thought i'd give it a try.. someone with a similar machine to mine was getting a really good result.. down to 35 degrees.. I had mine at 45 usually.. idling up to 53 max when working hard.. with my fan on at max rate all the time.. i've just tried CPU Idle.. and have found the following

Asus A7V333
Athlon XP 2100

Flower cooler (no the aluminium one, all copper) and supplied FAN on max

Old Idle Temp: 45
New Idle Temp: 42

Problems:
Possible slow down of my USB ADSL modem whilst using it, and ripping a CD with EAC (not compressing)..
Audio glitches as reported on their site..

One final thing.. should my CPU fan be blowing onto the heatsink.. its just I'm sure i read on the site for CPU Idle to feel the heat of your CPU fan.. well my fan is blowing on it?!? I dunno should it be blowing away from it, sucking the heat out?

Cheers

yunez
Friend of SPCR

Re: CPU Idle Performance??

Post by yunez » Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:48 pm

jimbobUK wrote: One final thing.. should my CPU fan be blowing onto the heatsink.. its just I'm sure i read on the site for CPU Idle to feel the heat of your CPU fan.. well my fan is blowing on it?!? I dunno should it be blowing away from it, sucking the heat out?
that depends on your HSF. Ive got 2 older HSFs and they blow air into the heatsink, but my Alpha PAL6035 sucks air away.

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:25 am

Yeah, in general only Alpha heatsinks perform better by having the fan sucking air off the heatsink. Apparently its due to the flange around the top of the HS.

They possibly meant feel the heat of the HS itself rather than the air being blown by the fan.