Quite PC via Cold Outdoor Air Intake

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

streety

Post by streety » Thu May 20, 2004 7:34 am

None of the images seem to work for me. :(

Retro_Phil

Post by Retro_Phil » Thu May 20, 2004 12:53 pm

Having visited several times, Vancouver can get pretty hot and humid in the summer.... What are your plans when that happens ?

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Thu May 20, 2004 1:10 pm

Hey dude

I dont think he has to really worry about summer, Me and ralf both live in really hot places and are systems are just like his expect we dont have that cold air blowing from the back. It has alrdy hit 95F here in tampa and my system after gaming a whole alot is only 58C. Barton 2500 OC to 3200 with a thermalright 947C and a acoutica fan on top

You might want to consider a 92mm panaflo for the front to help the HDD a little more. I can say it doesnt make any noticeable noise from a meter away and cools like 5-8C more.

~RaNDoM

Retro_Phil

Post by Retro_Phil » Thu May 20, 2004 1:23 pm

RaNDoMMAI - do you have a duct bringing in air from outside directly in your case ???

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Thu May 20, 2004 6:09 pm

Retro_Phil wrote:RaNDoMMAI - do you have a duct bringing in air from outside directly in your case ???
No duct or anything like that. my case is as simple as ralfs expect with different fans and an athlon system.

I dont really do anything with my comp expect play games and watch anime.
Type up a report every now and then, surf the web and shop. this site and fatwallet are my favorite!

~RaNDoM

streety

Post by streety » Fri May 21, 2004 3:34 am

I'm surprised you are getting much airflow through your duct from the negative pressure. I would have thought that the impedance to the airflow would have been greater than through the front air intake.

Retro_Phil

Post by Retro_Phil » Fri May 21, 2004 5:32 am

rukawa wrote:Do not be deceived by the summer in Vancouver. Vancouver is always dry especially in summer when we don't get that much rainfall. The only thing hot is the sunshine, but air is still plenty cold. This you'll feel when you're in the shades.
I must have had bad luck when I was there - I recall a few days that were quite humid and hot... :? Beautiful city, however - god I love it there ! :D

Randomai - you can't say "no worries about summer, my place is much warmer" if you don't have a duct directly to the outside - because that's what the original poster is doing !

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri May 21, 2004 6:32 am

Retro_Phil wrote:
Randomai - you can't say "no worries about summer, my place is much warmer" if you don't have a duct directly to the outside - because that's what the original poster is doing !
Yeah, but if Ramdom and I ducted our intakes to the outside we'd be pulling in air with a temp of 95-110°F for six months out of the year. That wouldn't help our system cooling at all.

Even in the middle of the summer, the average high temp in Vancouver is a whopping 70°F, so you can see where ducting outside air to cool his system would work considerably better than for us poor schmucks down here in the tropics.

Retro_Phil

Post by Retro_Phil » Fri May 21, 2004 5:51 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:Yeah, but if Ramdom and I ducted our intakes to the outside we'd be pulling in air with a temp of 95-110°F for six months out of the year. That wouldn't help our system cooling at all.
I understand that - that's why I was saying the comparison was not valid.
Even in the middle of the summer, the average high temp in Vancouver is a whopping 70°F, so you can see where ducting outside air to cool his system would work considerably better than for us poor schmucks down here in the tropics.
Fair enough - 70F will surely help. But what do you do when the temp hits 88f (according to that site, that's the top end) ? Not run your PC ? Close off the duct ? If you rely on that 70F air to cool it down, wouldn't the PC overheat without ANY air ? The average temp is great and all, but to me at least, it seems the extreme would be the big concern... I'm not trying to be difficult - just trying to understand why there's no concern for the really hot days.

Incidently, I surfed that site some more: I don't know why I live here ... Extreme low -31F, extreme high 95. Geeeeez... :shock:

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:18 pm

rukawa --

Hiya fellow Vancouverite!

I was using ducted outside air to cool one of my systems like you a couple years back. Worked well. No more. Got tired of the duct.

Interestingly, the temp in my room right now is ~28C. My systems are both folding @ home (24/7). Both are encases -- one is a P4-2.53 right now and the other is the A64-3200+ in the YY Mars case: CPU temps are 59C and and 56C.

Pretty cool, considering.