It is currently Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: too chep to get a quiet PSU so..
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:44 am 

ok i had this fan lying around, its a 92mm NMB something-or-other and i noticed on 5v it moves alot more air than the 80mm in my PSU :? my PSU fan was the only thing making noise in my case and i was getting annoyed with the loud whining (its now the only fan left :D ) so i thaught about it for a while and decided i'd make a shroud/duct thing, for the fan so i could put it on my PSU and i also cut out the vent where the air goes in the PSU and replaced it waith some fine mesh so it wasnt so restrictive...

i had some aluminium sheet metal lying around so i decided to use that and using some tinsnips i cut it to shape, i used an old 80mm fan and broke out the motor part so it was prettymuch the shroud bit then made the aluminium shroud so i could screw them together, i didnt screw the 92mm fan to the shroud, instead i just put some rubber spacer things in there and glued it in with silicone to try to stop some vibration.

the whole thing is just screwed onto the PSU with some small self tapping screws with 6mm hex heads so i could put them in with a spanner

im going to also put some sound proofing foam stuff (i think this stuff i have here is neoprene but im not too sure) on it to try to stop some more sound not that its bad but still.. might as well, also i didnt make it look that great because i knew i'd be putting this stuff on so it will look alot better once its done :D

a couple of pics...

Image - when i took that one i wasnt looking through the camera so its a bit dodgy hehe..

so yeah.. thats it :wink:

Samsung 120gb HDD (with 'U' waterblock and soundprofing)
Resun King2 pump - 1000LPH, 2m head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:34 am 
SPCR Reviewer

So is it any quieter than the 80mm fan that it replaced, or will you just have to be content that it looks better? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:49 pm 

nah its ALOT quieter, that fans only on 5v and its not mounted straight to a metal casing like the 80mm was so theres no more stupid vibration noise also with the mesh where the small holes on the inlet of the PSU were theres no air noise like before so its all good :P

its the only fan left in my computer and im pretty happy with the low ammount of noise it makes, i can finally sleep in my room with the computer on :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:18 am 

more pics of it finished, its just covered in neoprene

dosnt look the best but its a hell of alot quieter :wink: i think ill watercool it or another one some time soon prettymuch the same way WildMaN[DND] did (or is doing)... http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=13973 ...there