My New HTPC Build - with Antec NSK2400

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

spaceman_spiff

My New HTPC Build - with Antec NSK2400

Post by spaceman_spiff » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:56 pm

I've been lurking here for a while, and I wanted to post this build log here. SPCR seems to be the main place of interest for the new Antec cases, and it was the source of inspiration for my version of it.

Here's my new setup - put together before the SPCR review came out ;)
Honest...

Case - Antec NSK2400
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice
MB - DFI RS482
HSF - Thermalright XP-90 & Nexus 92mm
HDD - Samsung MP0402H 2.5", Hitachi 250 GB 3.5'
DVD - NEC ND-3550A
RAM - 512 x 2 Corsair Value Select
Video - XFX 7600GS
Sound - onboard plus M-Audio Transit
TV - VBox TDA-151, Hauppauge PVR-500MCE
OS - MCE 2005

My previous machine was an Intel CPU in a Silverstone LC-03. Worked well, but was always too hot and too loud. I knew the 2400 would be my next case as soon as I saw the pics from CES.

OK, so here's some pics of my own. First, some shots of the empty case.

Image Image

One of the things I don't like about the case is the silver color. Why, oh why can't they offer it in all black? Anyway, I've been painting things lately so I decided to try painting the faceplate black. Here's a shot with the front panel removed.

Now the front panel separates into 2 parts, only the outer panel is silver as noted in the review.

Here's the painted front panel. I had mixed success with this - the material is very slick and the paint does not adhere well, even though I used plastic primer and prepared the surface, etc. In the end, it just looks OK, not great, and it scratches very easily.

My other idea for the system was to use a 2.5" drive for the OS, and a 3.5" for the recorded TV programs, using elastic suspension for both. The 2.5 would be suspended vertically in the regular HD cage, and the 3.5 horizontally in the 5.25 cage. I'm using the 1/8" round elastic, and I've come up with what I believe is a new way to attach the drives. It uses heat-shrink tubing to attach regular HD mounting screws to the ends of the elastic. Pic=1000 words.

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image

One thought I had about the 5.25 cage in the 2400 at first was - this things gonna rattle. The "feet" on top do seem to press firmly against the top panel which helps alot. Also, by wrapping the elastic around the top and sides of the cage, it acts as a damper between the cage and the rest of the case. Happy accident.

The Hitachi HD is not the quietest, but it was in my old machine with my recorded shows already on it. So I just transferred the drive data and all to the new machine. I thought the drive bay cover would be a noise leak so I lined it with a small piece of Acoustipack.

The rest of the components went together as expected. The wiring holes inside the case make it easy to do a decent job with the wires. I ran the fan wires and the 4-pin power lead underneath the MB. I wanted to run the front-panel wires underneath, but the wasn't enough room between the edge of the MB and the case wall for the wires to exit.

Here's a couple of shots of the inside, showing the HSF, etc.

Image Image

And finally, the finished product alongside my Denon components.

The drive bay cover obviously came out a different shade and texture than the rest of the front panel. In the harsh light of the camera flash it looks really bad, but in the semi-darkened HT room it's no big deal. Better than the silver anyway.

So how's it run? In a word - great! My standards for silencing aren't as strict as some of the SPCR regulars. In my environment, this thing is effectively silent with the Tri-Cool fans on low. I can hear what sounds like a flutter coming from them if I put my head right next to the case. This may be the "resonance" referred to in the review.

I'm running the Cool & Quiet software, and confirmed it's operation with CPU-Z. In addition to the Media Center functions, I do some moderate gaming with the machine, which is why I wanted the 7600GS graphics card. My temps for the CPU are 31 C idle, 45 C after running CPUBurn for an hour. The GPU temp is 68 after playing Unreal for an hour. The air exiting the vents seems cool to the touch. Based on my example, the reports of this card running super-hot seem exaggerated.

What would I change? Well the silver of course. Also, I wouldn't mind if the case was a half-inch wider with a little more room around the edges of the MB. It's tight to work with as it is.

Otherwise, this thing flat-out rocks. I know some people will take issue with the mATX form factor, but I have my main storage on a separate media server, and the 2400 is perfect for a front-end machine. Kudos to MikeC and Antec for a terrific product.

DE

toNka

Post by toNka » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:59 pm

Wow, what a great concept for HDD suspension!
You should post those pictures in the HDD Suspension Sticky.
Doesn't look like a Ninja would fit with your motherboard layout.
Would be interesting seeing that there are two 120mm fans right there.
Want to donate those soft rubber HDD gromets your not using.
I'm trying to get my hands on a set or two. :wink:

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:09 am

Very nice HDD suspension.

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:35 am

What kind of primer/paint did you use?

I bet if you used Plasti-Kote Vinyl Color it would have turned out very durable. I have use this for an entire 17" CRT Viewsonic monitor (no primer needed) years ago and it is still perfect today. I even painted the rotating swivel base and it still functions without flaw.

spaceman_spiff

Post by spaceman_spiff » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:43 pm

Thanks for the replies.

The primer is Rust-oleum Plastic Primer. The paint is Createx Auto Air, which is a water-based custom automotive paint. Then 2 coats of automotive urethane clearcoat.

I've painted some other plastics - a couple of laptops, keyboards and mice, etc. and they turned out great. There's just something weird about this material. Maybe Antec will take pity on me and release a black faceplate option.:)

I did post the suspension pics in the HDD suspension sticky - thanks for the suggestion.

DE

nick705

Post by nick705 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:49 pm

I wonder if it's a good idea though suspending the 250GB drive in the 5.25" bay? It doesn't look like it's in any of the case's airflow paths, and as it's decoupled from the chassis it won't be able to shed heat by conduction either...

spaceman_spiff

Post by spaceman_spiff » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:31 am

I thought about that too. I actually considered modding the case to include some vent holes on the case bottom on that side. But I decided to hold off. I'm going to monitor the drive temps for a while first.

DE

garmpe

Post by garmpe » Tue May 02, 2006 9:00 pm

Spaceman_spiff I'm just about to order almost the same setup you have (same case, mobo, 3200 cpu) but was planning on an SI120 heatsink. From what I can see on your pics it looks like it wouldn't fit next to the exhaust fan. Do you think there is room for it with both exhaust fans in?

Garmpe

ultrachrome
Patron of SPCR

Post by ultrachrome » Wed May 03, 2006 7:08 am

You only need another centimeter of width on each side for the SI-120 so you shouldn't have any case fan clearance issues.

However, the SI-120 is taller than the XP-90 (and XP-120) and it appears that with a 25mm thick mounted on top you might have less than a centimeter of clearance between the lid.

I'm only guessing but you might actually starve the fan in that scenario and create added noise unless you went with a thinner fan.

spaceman_spiff

Post by spaceman_spiff » Fri May 05, 2006 12:41 pm

I thought about going with one of the 120mm HSF's, but the 3200+ is a pretty cool running CPU anyway and I figured it wouldn't matter if the temps were only a few degrees warmer. I'm happy with the XP-90 - it's a great fit for this case and mobo.

Another issue you might want to consider - it was tough to get to the memory and the 4-pin power connector past the 90mm HSF. If you went with the 120 those components would be even harder to reach. The upside is they would also get more cooling.

DE

aerodynamics

Post by aerodynamics » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:49 pm

Does anyone have extra drive bay blanks for this case they'd like to sell me? If so, PM me or email [email protected]. Thanks.

esmit

Post by esmit » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:22 pm

I did my first (simple) Silent PC attempt using the following components

Case - Antec NSK2400
CPU - Intel P4 2.66 GHz S775
MB - AsRock 775-TWINS-HDTV R2
Heatsink - Thermalright SI-120 (fanless).
HDD - WD SE16 500 Gb SATA
DVD - LG something
RAM - 512 x 2 Corsair Value Select DDR
Video - onboard ATi X300 (+ HDTV-out)
Sound - onboard
TV - Hauppauge PVR-500MCE
OS - MCE 2005

I replaced the TriCool fans with Nexus 12 cm units. They run (Fanmate 2 controlled) at 950 RPM, barely audible. They touch the SI-120 heatsink sideways and cool it quite (quiet?) well, fully stressed 55 degrees C, normal load 40 degrees (ambient temperature 26 degrees). No need for an extra HSF. Indeed, it would leave less than a cm headroom if I would have put one of those Nexusses on it.

I forgot to order the S775 adapter first time round :shock: and had to cope with the stock Intel cooler at first. NOT good.

The AsRock 775 Twins HDTV R2 board is ok-ish (cheap, but old style capcitors) http://www.asrock.com/product/775Twins-HDTV%20R2.0.htm. Onboard ATi X300 looks good enough for HDTV. display quality on my Dell 20" is somewhat less than the standalone Ati 9500 I have. To be replaced by a fanless 7900 card.

The board can cope with both DDR and DDRII (not together though) so I could test it with some old DDR memory I had lying around. To be replaced by 2GB of DDRII-6400 memory when I replace that cheapest P4 with a Core 2 Duo 6600.

Maybe I will replace the PSU fan for a Past 8 cm fan I use currently for my Shuttle SN41G1. I could not get that thing silent enough, that is why I got the NSK 2400.

The case is bigger than I anticipated. As the review said it would look nice as it matches audio equipment, I somehow assumed it would be around 43 cm wide but it is at least 10 cm more, and proportionally deeper too (of course). On the other hand, it IS very quiet.

esmit

Post by esmit » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:15 pm

In the previous setup I added an MSI NX7900GT-VT2D256EZ card: a Geforce 7900 GT that has passive cooling (see http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/ ... p?UID=744)) and beware! It just barely fits. To be honest, it does not fit, but you can force the top of the NSK2400 back on again while it touches the top of the heatpipes.

Impressive card, after running rhtdrbl for about 45 minutes it stabelizes on a GPU temperature of 80 degrees celcius and case temperatures around 42 degrees C.