Noise Canceling

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

salzar

Noise Canceling

Post by salzar » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:20 pm

I was thinking about applying Noise Canceling tech to my pc. Ive always said I want my pc quiter on then off, and this seems like the only way :).

So lets start a discussion about difrent Negative noise techs.

Me and my father think fundamental is the anti-phase of a single tone sorce. Using a mic at desired usage position

Am I insane, can you hear the water heater request water or hear your lcd turn on and off?

CyberDog

Post by CyberDog » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:54 am

Well... Noice cancelling is a good tech, but I think that it dosen't work with pc:s very well. Because it's normally reduces noice to one direction and ad it to another. I suggest that you build a air/water cooled system in a insulated cabin with noise traps in air canals.

I have an watercooled system and an only fan is in psu. Adda 120mm in a 5 volt and only thing I can hear is an really silen humm from water pump and a little whine from my Samsung 950b TFT

-fixed some typos-

CyberDog

Post by CyberDog » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:37 am

But if you want to use active noice cancelling, you should use it on canals. Because it wont work on open air as I mentioned earlyer.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:15 am

This has been discussed many times already:

thread 1

original thread

Conclusion:
@NeilBlanchard:The only thing that can work along these lines is a headphone type setup (and the Bose units used to cost a lot less, BTW -- like $70-80 IIRC). Because in order the cancel a noise, the "antidote" MUST be exactly 180 degrees out of phase, and since the sources of the various noises in a computer case -- are in various places, there is no practical way that a single device could cancel all the noise!

And as you move around, your ears change the distance from those noise sources -- and from the cancelation device, so again, there is no practical way that a cancelation device can work EXCEPT if it is attached to your head!
Me and my father think fundamental is the anti-phase of a single tone sorce.
Noise from a computer is not a pure tone, it is broadband.

Like pollution, it is a lot easier to stop it being produced in the first place than to clean it up once it is in the environment.