It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Noise Canceling
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:20 pm 

I was thinking about applying Noise Canceling tech to my pc. Ive always said I want my pc quiter on then off, and this seems like the only way :).

So lets start a discussion about difrent Negative noise techs.

Me and my father think fundamental is the anti-phase of a single tone sorce. Using a mic at desired usage position

Am I insane, can you hear the water heater request water or hear your lcd turn on and off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:54 am 

Well... Noice cancelling is a good tech, but I think that it dosen't work with pc:s very well. Because it's normally reduces noice to one direction and ad it to another. I suggest that you build a air/water cooled system in a insulated cabin with noise traps in air canals.

I have an watercooled system and an only fan is in psu. Adda 120mm in a 5 volt and only thing I can hear is an really silen humm from water pump and a little whine from my Samsung 950b TFT

-fixed some typos-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:37 am 

But if you want to use active noice cancelling, you should use it on canals. Because it wont work on open air as I mentioned earlyer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:15 am 

This has been discussed many times already:

thread 1

original thread

Conclusion:

Quote:
@NeilBlanchard:The only thing that can work along these lines is a headphone type setup (and the Bose units used to cost a lot less, BTW -- like $70-80 IIRC). Because in order the cancel a noise, the "antidote" MUST be exactly 180 degrees out of phase, and since the sources of the various noises in a computer case -- are in various places, there is no practical way that a single device could cancel all the noise!

And as you move around, your ears change the distance from those noise sources -- and from the cancelation device, so again, there is no practical way that a cancelation device can work EXCEPT if it is attached to your head!

Quote:
Me and my father think fundamental is the anti-phase of a single tone sorce.

Noise from a computer is not a pure tone, it is broadband.

Like pollution, it is a lot easier to stop it being produced in the first place than to clean it up once it is in the environment.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]