Thermalright HR-01 impressions

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ultrachrome
Patron of SPCR

Thermalright HR-01 impressions

Post by ultrachrome » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:24 pm

Just built a new E6600 system with the HR-01. I've been really happy with my first generation Ninja but the combination of some negative experiences folks have been having with mounting and performance as well as the desire to try something different led me to the HR-01.

I was not happy with the surface preparation. I was even more unhappy when I laid a razor blade to check for flatness. The first pic shows a significant depression. The worst part was that the C2D core would have laid across the depression instead of in it. The second helps highlight the roughness of the surface.

ImageImage

I did the same test for the CPU but I deemed at as acceptable.
ImageImage

Using the sandpaper I had on hand, I flattened the base with 600 and followed with 800 and 1000 to achieve the following result.

I assembled the system (e6600, p5b, P150) with the 775 bolt-through kit and used ArcticSilver 5. Although I'm not sure if it has an impact, the AS5 sat on the CPU for about 45 minutes while I lapped the heatsink. I only checked the heatsink on a whim just as I was about to install. Not sure if this had any negative effect on the AS5.

My fan is the JMC 1225-12LB PWM mounted on the case using the included orange duct. The fan speed at idle is about 640RPM.

TAT reports 22-25C at idle and 39C after running Orthos blend for about a half hour. My room temp is 21C.

Seems like a pretty good result but would have probably been not so great had I not lapped the base.

cmthomson

Re: Thermalright HR-01 impressions

Post by cmthomson » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:25 pm

ultrachrome wrote:Although I'm not sure if it has an impact, the AS5 sat on the CPU for about 45 minutes while I lapped the heatsink. I only checked the heatsink on a whim just as I was about to install. Not sure if this had any negative effect on the AS5.
Nah, letting AS5 sit for a while is harmless. Nice job flattening the heat sink base.

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:41 pm

what heat sink is that in the backround

ultrachrome
Patron of SPCR

Post by ultrachrome » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:57 pm

cmthomson, thanks. I ended doing some extensive reassembly and had another chance to apply AS5. Temps where the same.

PopCorn, that's the stock Intel heatsink.

diesalher

Post by diesalher » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:33 am

Hi, first of all sorry for my english, not my home language;
I was searching in google for info about e6600 + HR-01, and found his topic. I've been here sometimes reading your reviews, but as u can see, this is my first post, so thanks in advance for ur time.

I'm planing to build a pc based on E6600 + HR-01 775 ( in a p5b, p5w, comando or 680i one), with an Antec P182 case.

I'm not sure if this passive cooler is enough for this CPU and case. I play games frecuently, but i have never overclocked a PC, maybe i want to do a timid overclock, but nothing extreme.

I would be eternally thankful to u if u can share ur experience from this 1 and 1/2 month with your e6600 + HR-01.

If anyone knows about this cpu+cooler configuration, please, tell me. Thanks!

ultrachrome
Patron of SPCR

Post by ultrachrome » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:15 pm

If you look at the temps I posted, it's more than enough for an E6600 at stock speeds. I haven't yet tried to overclock but I don't anticipate I would have much of a problem.

diesalher

Post by diesalher » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:36 pm

the main difference is that i have an antec p182 case with different distribution, i've heard that there are problems to fit the duct in this case. I've not found not images or post of anyone having p180 or p182 with hr-01, and i swear i have done an intensive searching. I'm a newbie assembling my own computer, so i'm a bit afraid of making the wrong choice :? .
Your temps are good, but u are a skilled one, im just...well :roll: .

ultrachrome
Patron of SPCR

Post by ultrachrome » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:38 pm

If others got higher temps it might be because they didn't flatten the base. Flatness is worth checking especially with heat-pipe designs.

Something about the assembly process is warping the base. The pieces are clearly machined so they should be flat but possibly they are warping from heat if the heat pipes are being soldered to the base for better heat transfer.

The P182 should have an almost identical fan location with respect to the motherboard. If the duct doesn't line up, you could fashion one out of cardboard that would work just as well.

diesalher

Post by diesalher » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:38 am

thank for your time, i think, i'm gonna try thr hr-01, when i finish the build (2-3 weeks) , i'll post the results.