It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Vantec, Nexus fan controler buzzing!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:13 pm 
*Lifetime Patron*

I have a Nexus fan controller hooked up to 3 "low-flow" fans in my system. One 92mm Pabst, and two 80mm Panaflo's. When I turn one or all of the fans right down I get a very noticeable buzzing sound that I can hear up to 6 feet away. I am positive that the buzzing is coming from the fan controller and not the fans themselves.

Has anyone else noticed this?

With my new fans and psu, this is by far the loudest component in my system. What can I do? Does anyone know of another fan control solution that is silent?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:12 pm 

It probably is your fans and not the controller. I am not sure of this but I do know that fans can start to make some strange noises when they are turned downed extremely low.

Try stopping or unplugging fans as the computer is running and see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:20 pm 
Friend of SPCR

Yes it is the controller. That Nexus is a cheap PWM controller that is noisy. It may vary between batches since they had different revision, but the one I had was buzzy after you get around 50-60%.

The Sunbeam units support 4 fans without PWM so they are not going to make noise, but will generate some heat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:44 pm 
*Lifetime Patron*

Yes it is most certinly the controler and not the fans.

PWM? What does that mean?

I'll take some heat if that means I dont have this noise! Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:29 pm 
*Lifetime Patron*

Quote:
PWM? What does that mean?

Pulse Width Modulation.

It acts like a strobe, rapidly allowing full voltage to go through the circuit for just a moment and then shutting it off. When there's no power going through the fan continues to run on momentum. The speed of the fan is controlled by the timing of the on/off cycle. Though cheap PWM circuitry will create buzzing noises.

Post subject: Vantec Nexus, PWM, and buzzing
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:04 am 

I read many reviews on the Nexus fan controller before getting one. Nearly every review mentions the PWM, but few mention the audible buzz. As previously noted, the buzz only occurs at lower fan speeds. Therefore, to avoid the buzz one must run fans faster (and consequentially more fan noise). Vantec really should make a note of this issue on their product.
My case has a door which blocks much of the buzzing. However, the control knobs are long and impact the door slightly. This has required a little case modding on the door.
Unless you have extremely quiet fans that can be run at medium-to-high RPM, I would not recommend this fan controller... which is a shame because it looks quite cool. I suppose if your case sits more than 2 feet away from you (and has a door) then the Nexus fan controller would be a decent solution. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:45 am 
Friend of SPCR

Here's a review of the Sunbeam

http://www.gamingin3d.com/reviews/sunbeam/

Thing I read is you can supply voltages other than 12V to it which is useful. This one goes down to 0V so you can really bring the speeds down to the minimum.