Clicking / popping noises coming from Dell LCD monitor

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ugly

Clicking / popping noises coming from Dell LCD monitor

Post by ugly » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:42 am

Hello,

For the past few months, I have noticed a loud, intermittent popping/clicking noise coming from my Dell LCD monitor. It sounds like an electrical issue, though it's not the same 'pop' sound that you hear from static electricity, generally.

It occurs while the monitor is both on and off, as well as when it's unplugged from the power source. After a few hours (?) of being unplugged, I believe the popping noises stop.

I have moved my speakers away from the monitor, which didn't seem to make a difference. I've also tried plugging the monitor directly into the wall instead of my surge protector.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Felger Carbon

Re: Clicking / popping noises coming from Dell LCD monitor

Post by Felger Carbon » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:32 pm

ugly wrote:Any ideas what could be causing this?
LCD monitors often have built-in loudspeakers. Although you have other loudspeakers, perhaps the audio channel built into the mobo and designed to play thru the monitor is active, and shoving electrical noise at the monitor's speakers?

This would fit the "stays on for 2 hours" scenario, because the monitor power being off does not affect its loudspeakers, which are not powered from the monitor's power circuitry.

ugly

Post by ugly » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:33 pm

Sorry for the late reply.

The LCD does not have built-in speakers.

I unplugged the monitor (power and DVI cable) and moved it to the other side of the room after it had been on for several hours. I heard the pops once every 1-3 minutes for 15 minutes or so, becoming less frequent after an hour or two.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:53 pm

It's probably just plastic expanding/contracting from heat/cold. Same as cars really, you hear a lot of pops as metal contracts after you shut down engine after a long ride.

ugly

Post by ugly » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:02 pm

You may be right. Squeezing the frame by hand makes similar noises.