I've been working on these system specs for a while now. I'd appreciate any advice you might have on this build.
The goals of this build are:
- A nice looking HTPC for in the living room.
- Energy efficiency, as it'll be switched on (asleep) 24/7.
- As silent as I can get, given the desired performance.
- As silent as I can get, without being to costly.
- Functions as a Tivo (PVR).
- Functions as a mp3 JukeBox.
- Functions as a save (redundant) photo storage.
- Playback on 1080p.
- Enough performance for gaming (able to run 'Overlord' at high quality).
- Case: Silverstone LC16m
- ATX, Lost of HDD space, I think it's pretty, Known GFX clearance issues.
- Case Fans:
Nexus 9.2cm - 2x Front intake, HDD cooling.
- Case Fans:
Nexus 8.0cm - 2x Back exhaust (replacing existing exhausts), 1x Side exhaust (near CPU & Memory).
- CPU: AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400
- Dual Core, fast enough, 45W.
- Motherboard: ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe
- Lots of features, OnBoard Raid5, 100% Passive.
- CPU Heat Sink Thermalright SI-128
- Confirmed compatibility, Ninja Mini does not fit, fits a 12cm fan, blows down on motherboard.
- CPU Fan
- Memory Kingston KVR667D2N5K2/2G
- Should be enough.
- GFX Sparkle SF-PX86GTS256D3-HM Cool-pipe II
- Allows some gaming, Passive (Zalman VNF100), Heatsink on CPU Side, Decoding on GFX, unsure about clearance.
- or GFX Alternative Sparkle SF-PX86GTS256D3-HP Cool-pipe II
- As above, but different outputs.
- or GFX Alternative MSI GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB DDR3
- As above, but different heat sink.
- or GFX Alternative SF-PX88GT512D3-HP Cool-pipe 3
- Good value for money, breaks several of the builds goals, might not fit case.
- TV Hauppauge WinTV PVR-500MCE (OEM)
- Should do the job, bit boring, everyone has it.
- HDD Samsung SpinPoint T166, 500GB
- 3 of these in RAID5, might change depending on max. HDD capacity motherboard.
Any Player - Short enough to clear the GFX.
- PSU Corsair CMPSU-520HXEU
- Modular, Low noise, Possibly overkill.
Vista Home Premium.
- Have outstanding emails for GFX Heatsink clearance at Sparkle & Zalman.
- Might have to plave the GFX in the second PCIe x16 slot, due to Heatsink clearance issues.
- Build requires plenty of airflow, due to passive GFX.
- Plan to use lots of slow fans, disabling them if they are not required.
- Unsure if Hauppauge card produces heat.
- Considering ducting, if build is not cool & quite enough.
- Considering DIY HDD suspension, if required & feasable.
- Considering flipping PSU, as described elsewhere on this forum.
p.s. Yes, I agree, this build might have turned into an obsession.