Samsung SM-2232BW annoying buzz / whine

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zenzero-2001

Samsung SM-2232BW annoying buzz / whine

Post by zenzero-2001 » Fri May 16, 2008 11:52 am

Hi everybody!

I'm currently in the middle of a new build and I decided to try out my new monitor on my existing system. The monitor is a Samsung SM-2232BW, which I have read many good reviews about.

The first thing I noticed when I powered it up was how incredibly bright it was. After awhile my eyes started to hurt and a got a bit of a headache. So I had a brainwave to turn the brightness down :)

Unfortunately, turning the brightness down causes an annoying buzz to emanate from the monitor. The buzzing first becomes faintly audible at 92-93 brightness but by 70 brightness it is very annoying. I would like to be able to set the brightness to a comfortable level without the irritating sound!

Clearly, this is unacceptable and I will be returning the monitor. What I would like to know is do all Samsung SM-2232BWs have this problem? If so, then there is no point in me getting a replacement.

Are there any high quality screens that do not exhibit this behaviour without costing too much? I do not mind paying a little bit more, say up to £300. After reading all the good reviews for this screen, I am very disappointed.

I would much appreciate and value your opinions!

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Fri May 16, 2008 4:40 pm

This is a common issue with many LCD monitors. It's from the inverter powering the backlight. Many brands have lower quality inverters that tend to buzz when not at full power. There really is no fix and another of the same model is likely to do it as well. You can do a search of "LCD whine" or "LCD buzz" and see other monitors to see which ones also produce this noise.

I don't think it's any worse than CRT buzz that we've all been accustomed to over the years, but it's something people don't expect.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Fri May 16, 2008 10:06 pm

You should add your monitor and description of symptoms in this topic: viewtopic.php?t=16658

I was about to buy the Syncmaster 2493HM, but now I have my doubts. I guess we'll see next month when I get paid and won't have to spend all my money fixing a system bust caused by an Asus mobo gone bad. :P

zenzero-2001

Post by zenzero-2001 » Sat May 17, 2008 1:34 am

Thanks for the replies.

I have not noticed any buzzing coming from the LCD screens at work and I am normally very sensitive to such things.

I agree that CRTs can buzz as well, so too do some CRT televisions. The buzz from CRTs tends to be at a higher frequency than what I have experienced with the Samsung LCD. I find that very high pitches buzzes (that are hardly audible) make me feel nauseous and give me a headache. Usually, nobody else can hear it and I think that they think I am nuts!

Anyway, are there any LCD display manufacturers that are less likely to have buzzing in their product? I was thinking about purchasing the Lenovo L220X. It is a PVA panel and a higher resolution than the Samsung, but still 22 inches diagonal. Does anybody have any opinions on this screen or any recommendations for a quiet 22" LCD?

Thanks.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sat May 17, 2008 7:55 am

The L220x was recommended to me in my topic about the Samsung. Sounds very interesting as a concept - a VA Samsung panel in IBM housing, capable of Full HD resolutions in a relatively compact 22" package, complete with reasonable pricetag.

I was only left feeling concerned about the resolution being too high, making everything either tiny at native resolution or blurry at lower resolutions.

HP and Dell monitors are the only ones I have yet to hear buzz complaints about, all the other manufacturers have fielded models that buzz or whine.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Sat May 17, 2008 8:48 am

zenzero-2001 wrote:I agree that CRTs can buzz as well, so too do some CRT televisions. The buzz from CRTs tends to be at a higher frequency than what I have experienced with the Samsung LCD. I find that very high pitches buzzes (that are hardly audible) make me feel nauseous and give me a headache. Usually, nobody else can hear it and I think that they think I am nuts!
Like I said, it depends more on the quality of the inverter, and it's a crapshoot cause theirs nothing preventing a manufacturer from changing parts in the middle of production. Generally the buzzing will be lower pitched in an LCD as the backlight cycles at a frequency of 60Hz. The CRTs are different in that they use a refresh rate a little higher in frequency (usually 75-85Hz) depending on the settings. I'm not saying those are the frequencies of the sounds you are hearing, just the affecting factors.

I've had many Dell LCDs at work (I do most of the purchasing and setup) and I have not noticed any buzzing from any of them. But then it is a much noisier environment than at home.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sat May 17, 2008 11:35 pm

Wasn't it Dell who were accused of using high-quality components in monitors until they received glowing reviews, then switching the insides for something much cheaper (and worse)?

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sun May 18, 2008 12:36 am

Das_Saunamies wrote:Wasn't it Dell who were accused of using high-quality components in monitors until they received glowing reviews, then switching the insides for something much cheaper (and worse)?
Wouldn't surprise me, and to be honest I'd be surprised if they were the only ones doing it.

I've had mixed experiences with Dells, my 2001FPs and 2407WFP didn't buzz, my 3007WFP does which given the price of the monitor is rather annoying to say the least.

croddie

Post by croddie » Sun May 18, 2008 2:37 am

I haven't found any quiet LCD which has an internal power supply. LCDs with external supplies are generally quiet (you can place the power supply where it can't be heard).
Unfortunately LCDs with external power supplies are very rare now. I don't know of any apart from the Apple cinema displays.
Therefore I have an Apple cinema display. The inverter is in the power supply unit and the monitor contains minimal electronics:
http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showd ... i=2400&p=5
(No analog-digital conversion or between resolutions, which are completely unnecessary for a monitor. And a potential source of noise.)
I recommend this display as a very good display which is very quiet and worth the premium.

Manufacturers have been demonstrating very thin displays these days, which is a good sign as to make a very thin display the power must be external.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Sun May 18, 2008 8:32 am

Das_Saunamies wrote:Wasn't it Dell who were accused of using high-quality components in monitors until they received glowing reviews, then switching the insides for something much cheaper (and worse)?
They used to use high quality components in all of their displays, then they started rolling out the value-brand and UltraSharps. Not to mention when they went retail and sold more expensive versions of the value-brand (same components, different colors/base). If you're going UltraSharp, you won't have anything to worry about if you're comparing them to standard retail models from other manufacturers.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Sun May 18, 2008 9:00 am

I recommend again the LG L227WT, it has no input lag, ghosting and is supposed to be silent. It's the best 22" gaming monitor according to Anandtech forums.
Since you seem to be in the UK: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... subcat=949
I already recommended it here: viewtopic.php?t=46646&highlight=l227wt& ... 57236c040a
AFAIK many Samsung monitors have this buzzing issue, especially when lowering the backlight.

zenzero-2001

Post by zenzero-2001 » Sun May 18, 2008 3:23 pm

Thanks for all the info so far! I will check out the LG L227WT.

I have been looking at the Dell 2408WFP, but am afraid of getting a buzzer.

Hazro are a UK company that make LCDs with an external power supply (like Apple). They use S-IPS panels. Their 23" model uses the same panel as the Apple Cinema Display. You can buy them through Overclockers:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productli ... &mfrid=441

TFT Central have a review of the 24" and the 26" models.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hazro_hz24w.htm
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hazro_hz26w.htm

Torn between one of these and the Dell. I would think that there is little chance of a buzzer with Hazro.

Hmmmmm, I'm sure I started this thread in "The Silent Front" and not "Off Topic" .... never mind :)

croddie

Post by croddie » Sun May 18, 2008 10:16 pm

Thanks for the info. Looks nice. Could be as good as the Apple but with HDCP and a lower retail price!

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Mon May 19, 2008 11:21 am

LG looked nice until I noticed that it's not heigh-adjustable (shall I adjust my monitor or desk, hmm) and it doesn't have pivot. Those are extremely important, and I couldn't live without pivot when it comes to writing out and proofreading those long documents. The colour space was more than adequate though, so it's not doubt a hi-quality panel.

croddie

Post by croddie » Mon May 19, 2008 1:30 pm

Das_Saunamies wrote:I couldn't live without pivot when it comes to writing out and proofreading those long documents.
I just read on Wikipedia that Vista supports cleartype in this mode. That's good to hear. Not sure if the setting is the "tablet PC" setting?
Do you find that with good LCDs you get problems with the lower vertical viewing angle becoming lower horisontal viewing angle when rotated? (Do your two eyes see slightly different brightnesses/colours?)
I have tried pivoting before (current LCD does not pivot) but I think it may be better now with better viewing angles and working cleartype.