hd4870 fit in solo?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rei

hd4870 fit in solo?

Post by rei » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:53 pm

can't find any people running this config.

Suosaaski

Re: hd4870 fit in solo?

Post by Suosaaski » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:43 pm

rei wrote:can't find any people running this config.
I had it. It will fit, but the PCI-E power cables might block some HDDs from installation. It is pretty easy to check though as the cables go straight back from the bottom side of the card. I might also have some pics somewhere that I could post later if you like.

rei

Post by rei » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:28 am

sure if you could.

it seems that it would prevent one hd from being used there i think.

Suosaaski

Post by Suosaaski » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:45 am

This pic shows the slot that the HD4870 is installed to:

And this shows that at that particular slot, it takes up one HDD slot:

However, all other slots are fine, and if you use the rubberband slots instead, all three of them are usable (the power cables go over the HDD, just barely (they touch the HDD)).

rei

Post by rei » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:40 am

i got one last night for $280.

http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/ ... ek_HD4870/

it's amazing that the box is so SMALL like a low-end video card. it's barely the width of the card itself with no frills at all. no 'borrowed' gawdy taiwanese cgi art, fold-out covers or moulded plastic within another plastic capsule like any of the other 20 (sigh) video cards i've had over the past 3 years.

everything's so damn...low-key. there is no pack-in mass effect though contrary to the box art. the stock cooler is just red with 'radeon' on it and is very understated. no lame art cyber dog or elf girl.

this is surprising.

i slide a hd in underneath where you have the pic and the bottom of the power connectors still touch the hd.

i slid one of those rubber fan mount things in between the 2 connectors to provide a bit of separation between it and the top of the hd, resulting in some slight downwards pressure on the hd, lifting the end that's near the front of the case upwards i think.

rei

Post by rei » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:48 am

since the guys at ncix.com who put my system together didn't attach the 2 92mm nexus to the fan headers but into a molex, i am not controlling the 2 intake fans--they are on full blast but still relatively quiet, not altogether unpleasant soft fan sound.

the wires for the fan are wedged behind the hd cage (Which took me hours to take off and put on due to the tight constricted wiring and some twisted metal where it clasps onto) and so i can't detach them and put them to the proper headers to have asus q-fan control.

i LOVE the noctua nh-c12p i have.

that said, this is the quietest system i've had with the fans on 12v. going to set the hd4870 to 50% or 30% via the fan profile.