Justchill's HTPC Build (NSK2480)

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Justchill

Justchill's HTPC Build (NSK2480)

Post by Justchill » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:19 am

Hi guys,

It's been a while, how are y'all doin' ? 8)

After my first showcase:
viewtopic.php?t=45857
I'm now showing my silent HTPC project. The main goal was to create a very silent, decent and as cheap as possible HTPC.

I mainly use my HTPC for watching movies, pictures, listening to music, playing old console but with MediaPortal there are much more possibilities.

Hardware specification page.
>> http://specs.tweak.to/17145 << (this page is dutch, but you'll understand)
I guess there's no explanation needed.

Pictures
>> http://users.pandora.be/chs/HTPC%20Build/ <<

Notes
- Overview of different 'mods' I've done to silence the computer.

1. I've used the Ninja Passively, so no CPU cooler fan.
2. Replacing the antec tri-cool casefans by 2 X yateloon D12SL.
3. Replacing the Earthwatts PSU by a very silent Enermax modu82+ 425W. I must say it's way too powerfull and I regret buying it.
4. I've used BE Quiet dampening materials to the room where the harddrives are.
5. I've put the hardrives in 2 Scythe Quiet drive cases.
6. I've used extra foam to absorp harddisk vibrations.

Software
- Windows VISTA Ultimate 32 bits
- Media Portal 1.0

Well this is it. Now it's up to you to give comments. I'm very open for improvements.

Best Wishes

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:14 am

Are you using that PlayStation controler to control your whole computer :shock: ???????? or is it just to play games :lol: ?

Nice setup btw :)

Just out of curiosity, which fan is the loudest (PSU or exhaust) ? How do you regulate fan speed (if you do) ?

Justchill

Post by Justchill » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:24 am

Microsoft MCE Remote for controlling the OC
Playstation controllers for the games (emulators)

Exhaust fan is slighty "louder". Actually you can't hear them..
Both exhaust fans are connected to the motherboard; 1 to the CPU fan header and the other one to the SYS fan header.

hybrid2d4x4

Post by hybrid2d4x4 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:52 pm

Wow, I really like how you managed to integrate everything into MP so well. I'm tempted to give that one another try now. What version and skin (is it included or custom) are you running? Are the emulations plugins for MP or does it run standalone emu's like MAME?

Good job with the HDD chamber, but aren't you worried about overheating since they get essentially no airflow?

Justchill

Post by Justchill » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:21 am

Hi,

well the skin is called "purevision" and the version of mediaportal is V1.0 RC2.0. It does require some tweaking though.

Well, you have to install the separate emulator programs like mame, zsnes, project64.... and then you will have to install the "myemulator plugin" and configure everything (= emulator programs, roms, covers) overthere.

Well the quiet drives cool very well (passively) actually, so there is no heating problem..

best regards

geolgiya

Post by geolgiya » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:53 am

What is the best music writing software for marching band and orchestra music? I just graduated from high school, when I was in the band I would make stuff up on the marimba all the time. My band director told me I would be a very good composer. I just need to know what the best tools are to compose marching band music and orchestra music.