HDT-S1283 socket AM2 clip or HR-01-K8

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ch0z3n

HDT-S1283 socket AM2 clip or HR-01-K8

Post by Ch0z3n » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:48 pm

So apparently the HDT-S1283 only mounts on AM2 so that the fan will either blow up or down, not out the back of the case. Is this still true or is there maybe an aftermarket mounting system to let it face the proper way?

I know in the review it says that it isn't designed as a passive cooler because the fins are too close, but would it be able to passively cool a 5400+ that has been slightly undervolted? I have a Ninja-Mini with a 92mm Kama Flex on it right now but am looking to move that to a different computer that is going to serve as an HTPC/File-Server.

I would rather get the HDT-S1283 than the HR-01-K8 if possible because it is $14 cheaper, $21.99 after MIR on newegg as opposed to $35.99 for the HR-01-K8.

Is the HR-01 just that much better at passive cooling than the HDT-S1283? Well, passive in the sense that there won't be a fan directly mounted on it, but I have an exhaust fan a few inches away and a getto-rigged Kama-Bay* blowing over a 2 suspended hard drives in the optical bay.

*Getto-rigged Kama Bay: I used Stretch-Magic to suspend an 800rpm S-Flex. Right now there is nothing covering it so I have to be mindful of fingers. I need to get some kind of mesh to cover it.

EDIT: Fixed the prices.

Blacktales

Post by Blacktales » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:58 pm

Hello Ch0z3n,

I also considered the HDT-S1283 for my AMD setup, but never could find a way to mount it in a "front-to-back' orientation. The only product that could have done the trick is the thermalright S-clip used to mount thermalright products in the right orientation on AMD sockets but i never could get an answer as to whether or not it would be compatible with the Xigmatek and judging from pictures on the net, it is not.

I finally went with the Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer (CCF) which is basically the same cooler (a bit bigger and one more heatpipe) but the latter has a proprietary mounting solution that allows you to mount it properly on a AMD socket. If you look at reviews, the performance of the CCF is basically the same as the S1283 or even a bit better, depending on the reviewer. It certainly does the trick in my setup, replacing a Ninja Rev.B on a 89W CPU with a 500RPM 120mm fan.

I'll let others handle the HR-01 cooler as i never actually tested it.

Have fun tinkering !

Zenphic
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zenphic » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:01 pm

If you can find the Noctua NH-U12P at a bargain price, that would be great. It can be mounted in two different positions on AM2 motherboards: either with the fan blowing upwards or sideways. It's one of the reasons why I went with it. :)

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: HDT-S1283 socket AM2 clip or HR-01-K8

Post by dukla2000 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:40 pm

Ch0z3n wrote:I know in the review it says that it isn't designed as a passive cooler because the fins are too close, but would it be able to passively cool a 5400+ that has been slightly undervolted?
My 1283 is passive when CnQ is active on a 4850e. My psu has a 12cm fan more or less just above the 1283 so there is some case airflow near to it. Depends also on your ambients - YMMV.

As per Blacktales the Sunbeam is probably a better cooler for AMD anyway and orientates differently. (From what I could see in all the comparative reviews the tests where the 1283 beat the Sunbeam were on Intel cores, which are physically smaller, so only 2 of the 4 Sunbeam pipes came into play. On AMD CPUs all 4 pipes do a bit of work.)