Lian-Li PC-Q08 File Server.

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

protellect

Lian-Li PC-Q08 File Server.

Post by protellect » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:50 am

This feels a little hurried, and I don't have any nifty power readings for it. But my power supply and the 945gc chipset isn't really going to knock out any people's eyeballs with low power consumption.

There has been some hype with this case, and I have to say I'm pretty happy with it. Other that I'm an idiot and thought I bought a ITX motherboard, and didn't.

Fixing that involved a thin piece of wood, some motherboard mounting pegs, some glue, and a drill, and rotating the motherboard platform 180 degrees. And cutting the IO panel a bit.

Initially wanted to roll free-NAS, but in the end chose W2K8 Server.

So, some things I like about it are that:
  • Nice sized.
    Six Drive bays, and a seventh 2.5" drive bay below the CD tray. Not to mention what you can squeeze in the 5.25" bay [potentially 4 2.5" drives]
    It's pretty quiet. You will hear drive noise over the case fans, especially in an aluminum case
    Fantastic Construction, feels sturdy even with the weight of six 3.5" drives
    Love the power and reset buttons
  • Con's
    Easy to lose black, nonstandard [flat top] screws
    Six phillip's screws to remove to get either side off. It's certainly set it and forget it.
    Power supply is directly over motherboard. Not much you can do about it.
    Cable management is tight. The space between the side panel and your power/sata cables is tight, 90 degree connectors recommended.
A ton of stuff to fit in a fiarly small case. Image

But I jammed it in there anyways. And it was kinda ugly. and I hate the lit-up 140mm fan.... need to figure out how to kill the fan's LED's.

More Full sized, crap iphone pictures
idle drive temps

wouterr5

Post by wouterr5 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:10 am

Thanks for sharing your NAS with us :)
Nice temps for the HDD's as well, my samsung is suspended in front of a 500RPM Nexus, and gets to 30 degrees :lol:

bozar

Post by bozar » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:26 pm

Cable management looks bad but the case looks really hard to build tidy in. I really like small file-servers though and the case is really pretty on the outside.