It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Seagate FreeAgent Go 1TB and 640GB portable USB drives
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:21 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11788
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Seagate FreeAgent Go 1TB and 640GB portable USB drives

_________________
Mike Chin,
Editor/Publisher, SPCR
Support SPCR with your donations!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:21 pm
Posts: 553
Location: Scotland, UK
Great review :)

For an external backup solution I searched long and hard for a 2.5" enclosure that actually had a power switch! I eventually found one (IcyBox 250StU). It's not particularly quiet but I only use it for backups so I can easily switch it off after so I don't need to disconnect it to power it down.

Being unable to power them down without disconnecting them is my only issue with most of these drives, but this one seems like it might be quiet enough to leave connected and not notice it. It means it's potentially still prone to a power spike, though.

_________________
CPU & HS: i5 2500K | Noctua Noctua NH-U12 - fanless
Case & PSU: Antec P180 | Antec Phantom 500
Components: 8GB G.SKILL | Gigabyte Z68 | Sapphire Ultimate HD7750 | Samsung 840 250GB
Cooling: Nexus RS 120mm top controlled by mobo (very low RPM)
Storage: HP MediaSmart EX495 WHS2011 - 2x1TB WD Red


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:46 am
Posts: 55
Location: The Netherlands
Excellent review - too bad it doesn't have USB3 or E-SATA indeed, i could've stored my games on it if it had.

Considering how few people i know that have a problem with the noise level of their external hard drive, it's great that Seagate pays attention to the noise.

One question on the measurements: Wikipedia says that to be able to hear tones at 2 Khz or lower, they must be above 0 dB. However, this harddrive is probably still hearable from 1 meter in a quiet room at night, while according to SPCR's measurements it never crosses 0 dB below 2 Khz... So, is Wikipedia wrong or is there something i missed :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:34 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11788
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
wouterr5 wrote:
One question on the measurements: Wikipedia says that to be able to hear tones at 2 Khz or lower, they must be above 0 dB. However, this harddrive is probably still hearable from 1 meter in a quiet room at night, while according to SPCR's measurements it never crosses 0 dB below 2 Khz... So, is Wikipedia wrong or is there something i missed :)

There are so many ways that "dB" is used that w/o the actual Wikipedia reference, I can't answer. However, I can say that there's a difference in SPL -- the total sound pressure at a specific distance -- vs the peak in a spectrum. The curve never actually reaches 0 dBA at any frequency, but the overall SPL is still 12.3 dBA/1m: SPL is the "sum" of all the pressure at every frequency.

_________________
Mike Chin,
Editor/Publisher, SPCR
Support SPCR with your donations!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:31 pm
Posts: 822
Location: Melbourne, Australia
I've owned the 500Gb version of the Seagate FreeAgent Go for about six or so months now and have been really impressed with its very low noise levels. Nice to have my impressions confirmed by a SPCR review.

The dis-assembly was really interesting - good to know how well the inner cage works! Great review Mike!

_________________
My PCs:
Main PC (E5200, G31, Lian Li Q07) | Gaming PC (E6850, X38, 5870 Vapor-X, P182) | HTPC (4850e, 780G, 3450, NSK2480B)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:14 pm
Posts: 129
Location: New Zealand
wow, nice review, and nice product

I wonder how they compare against the WD passport essentials.
I got a 320GB version of the WD and the only time i hear it is when they turn off and the spinning slows down, during operation they are inaudible.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 14
Location: Plymouth, UK
Interesting. I've recently bought a completely fanless pc with the aim of putting it in the living room. Just playing about with it at the moment and so have a 2.5" internal hard drive installed (Western Digitial 1200 BEVS from memory) but the noise from it is distracting when nothing else is happening in the room, e.g. I'm reading. Just mulling over options in my head but any ideas on how the noise from these Seagates would compare with putting the existing hard drive in a Scythe hard drive enclosure mounted in a rubber-grommet bay or elastically suspending my current drive?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:11 am 
Offline
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:21 pm
Posts: 1252
Location: 15143, USA
Nifty little drive. Thanks for taking it apart for the review.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:29 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11788
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
david_f1976 wrote:
Interesting. I've recently bought a completely fanless pc with the aim of putting it in the living room. Just playing about with it at the moment and so have a 2.5" internal hard drive installed (Western Digitial 1200 BEVS from memory) but the noise from it is distracting when nothing else is happening in the room, e.g. I'm reading. Just mulling over options in my head but any ideas on how the noise from these Seagates would compare with putting the existing hard drive in a Scythe hard drive enclosure mounted in a rubber-grommet bay or elastically suspending my current drive?

The first option is probably better than the second because it tackles both airborne and vibration noise. WD1200BEVS is a 120gb model, which suggests it's a bit older, maybe? If so, a newer drive might be quieter. Hard to say.

I can tell you that after playing around a bit with the bare 1tb Seagate drive from the FreeAgent Go, I think it's actually quieter than the 640gb model (which I did not take apart)... and it will probably find a home in my own htpc, where a single 500gb drive is running out of space. Sample variance in HDDs isn't that bad, but whether they are all like this is hard to know without trying out at least a few, not just one, but if one can be this quiet, there's hope for more of them to be this way, or at least close.

_________________
Mike Chin,
Editor/Publisher, SPCR
Support SPCR with your donations!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: How fast is the bare drive directly connect via sata
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:11 am
Posts: 15
I would be interested in how fast the bare drive is outside of the usb case. Can you test the speed of the 1tb drive direclty connect to sata or e-sata?

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How fast is the bare drive directly connect via sata
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:49 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11788
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
jstyles wrote:
I would be interested in how fast the bare drive is outside of the usb case. Can you test the speed of the 1tb drive direclty connect to sata or e-sata?

Thanks

w/HD Tune Pro on Win7-Intel SSD system via SATA: Avg. read - 67mb/s, random access - 21ms

_________________
Mike Chin,
Editor/Publisher, SPCR
Support SPCR with your donations!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How fast is the bare drive directly connect via sata
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:11 am
Posts: 15
MikeC wrote:
jstyles wrote:
I would be interested in how fast the bare drive is outside of the usb case. Can you test the speed of the 1tb drive direclty connect to sata or e-sata?

Thanks

w/HD Tune Pro on Win7-Intel SSD system via SATA: Avg. read - 67mb/s, random access - 21ms


Thanks again


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:56 pm
Posts: 189
Location: Houston, Texas
Jordan wrote:
For an external backup solution I searched long and hard for a 2.5" enclosure that actually had a power switch!

Another solution you might consider is a USB hub with independent power switches for its ports, like this, this, or perhaps this (if you can find one).

_________________
License to Silence!
Antec SLK3700AMB | ASUS M2R32-MVP (AMD 580X) | AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ (Brisbane) | 2x1GB Corsair XMS DDR2-667 | ATI RADEON X1950 XT w/ AC Accelero S1 | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | 320GB WD Caviar SE 16 (WD3200AAKS) | Samsung 16X DVD+/-RW, Lite-On DVD-ROM | abit AirPace PCI-E Wi-Fi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:21 pm
Posts: 553
Location: Scotland, UK
tempeteduson wrote:
Jordan wrote:
For an external backup solution I searched long and hard for a 2.5" enclosure that actually had a power switch!

Another solution you might consider is a USB hub with independent power switches for its ports, like this, this, or perhaps this (if you can find one).


That's pretty neat! Would never have even thought to look for them. I have the enclosure now though :)

_________________
CPU & HS: i5 2500K | Noctua Noctua NH-U12 - fanless
Case & PSU: Antec P180 | Antec Phantom 500
Components: 8GB G.SKILL | Gigabyte Z68 | Sapphire Ultimate HD7750 | Samsung 840 250GB
Cooling: Nexus RS 120mm top controlled by mobo (very low RPM)
Storage: HP MediaSmart EX495 WHS2011 - 2x1TB WD Red


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:49 pm
Posts: 305
Location: Sweden
I wish the drive without the chassis where available for purchase.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:51 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11788
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
bozar wrote:
I wish the drive without the chassis where available for purchase.

I think the reason the 12.5mm thick 2.5" drives are not available bare is because the demand for them would be extremely low. They don't fit in any notebooks. The 640gb 9.5mm thick Momentus is available, but it's not the biggest capacity bare 2.5" model Seagate offers right now. Oddly, the biggest is a 750gb 7200rpm model.

_________________
Mike Chin,
Editor/Publisher, SPCR
Support SPCR with your donations!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:57 pm 
Offline
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:49 am
Posts: 54
Location: Nashua, NH - USA
An excellent topic for review. I would debatable whether your review is 'overdue', but I wouldn't think to argue with your decisions :wink:.

I have had the 500GB version of this drive for several months now. I did not consider its acoustics when I bought it since I only planned to use it infrequently, but was impressed by how quite it was when I started using it. I'll add my 'thumbs up' to this product for anyone who is considering purchasing an external drive.

_________________
Anyone who thinks they have a fool-proof system
underestimates the ingenuity of fools.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:09 pm
Posts: 143
Location: here
[deleted]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:36 pm 
Offline
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:12 pm
Posts: 380
Location: Toronto, ON
Excellent review. I hope you get to do a follow-up on the GoFlex. It's a neat idea, but having separate cables is a PITA. The G-Drive Mini is what I'm using now.. plenty fast over FW but boy is it noisy as heck.

BTW noticed a booboo, page 4, paragraph 1:
Quote:
Seagate's Scorpio 2.5" notebook drives are much quieter than the 3.5" models, but they aren't exceptional

_________________
solo ii: i7 3770k - p8z77-v pro - 4x4gb - gtx660ti - crucial m4 256gb - ax750
t61p: t9300 - 2x2gb - intel 330 240gb
win2008: i3 2100 - z77pro3 - 2x4gb - arc-1231ml 12x2tb wd eads r6 - cx400


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 2:57 pm
Posts: 507
Location: England
I'm not sure why you're bothering to try and give power consumption figures for these drives. It's not possible for them to use more than 2.5W.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:34 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11788
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Monkeh16 wrote:
I'm not sure why you're bothering to try and give power consumption figures for these drives. It's not possible for them to use more than 2.5W.

Simply not true, as reported. That's close to what they draw in idle, and in seek it doubles. I actually tried it on 3 different systems; the notebook had the lowest power draw. Besides, measuring and reporting power consumption is standard on every review we do.

_________________
Mike Chin,
Editor/Publisher, SPCR
Support SPCR with your donations!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 2:57 pm
Posts: 507
Location: England
MikeC wrote:
Monkeh16 wrote:
I'm not sure why you're bothering to try and give power consumption figures for these drives. It's not possible for them to use more than 2.5W.

Simply not true, as reported. That's close to what they draw in idle, and in seek it doubles. I actually tried it on 3 different systems; the notebook had the lowest power draw. Besides, measuring and reporting power consumption is standard on every review we do.


USB 2.0 is limited to 500mA @ 5V. The drive would be unable to draw more from a single port on most systems (some are not strict about it). The AC consumption is a widely inaccurate measure, especially under I/O load.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:56 pm
Posts: 189
Location: Houston, Texas
Mike,

I agree with Monkeh16. Power consumption of twice what the USB 2.0 specification allows is not right. Heck, even USB 3.0 provides a maximum of only 4.5 W. You do caution in the article that this figure might not be accurate, but you state in your post above as if it is. I feel that this shouldn't have been reported in the first place.

_________________
License to Silence!
Antec SLK3700AMB | ASUS M2R32-MVP (AMD 580X) | AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ (Brisbane) | 2x1GB Corsair XMS DDR2-667 | ATI RADEON X1950 XT w/ AC Accelero S1 | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | 320GB WD Caviar SE 16 (WD3200AAKS) | Samsung 16X DVD+/-RW, Lite-On DVD-ROM | abit AirPace PCI-E Wi-Fi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:36 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11788
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
OK, Monkeh16 & tempeteduson...

...you're probably right in that I either should have done a more through job of covering power consumption or not done it at all. So, since I already did it, I went back and studied the issue some more and rewrote more complete findings in that section.

Reproduced here:

Quote:
We know from testing many 2.5" drives in the past that they typically idle at 1W or less, and peak at about 2.5W during write/read operation. A reading of the USB 2.0 and 3.0 Specifications indicates that maximum rated current for each port is 500mA and 900mA, respectively, at 5V. This translates to 2.5W per USB 2.0 port. The current is supplied by the 5V standby line in a PC, usually rated for at least 2.5A. However, the specs appear to be recommended ratings for external USB devices. The Intel ATX12V Power Supply Design guide v2.2 mentions, for example, that on wakeup, an external USB device may cause a "peak currents as high as 3.5A lasting no more than 3 seconds", referring probably to spin-up of an external hard drive. It's not clear whether there is current limiting in the port circuitry; non-compliant devices might be able to draw more than 2.5W, with potential higher than normal long-term stress on the USB circuitry in the PC.

In the recent past, some external 2.5" drives were supplied with a USB cable that had two plugs on the PC side to ensure enough current could be drawn safely. As you know from photos above, the cables for these FreeAgent Go drives have just one port per end. Still, the drive in our FreeAgent Go 1TB is rated for 0.75A at +5V or 3.75W, probably the maximum at spin-up. (See the last page for photos and details.)

It's not easy to test the power draw through a USB connection. About the best we could come up with was to monitor the power draw of a laptop while running these USB 2.0 external drives from it. The battery from the notebook was removed altogether to prevent any extra power going to charge the battery.

The result aren't exactly definitive, but it appears that the 640GB and 1TB draw about the same power from the USB line when idle. The 2.6~2.7W AC additional at idle seems inordinately high given that the drives actually pull no more than 1W DC, even if you includes the power lost through the AC/DC conversion of the laptop. During read/write, the power jumps to around 5~6W AC maximum, which again seems too high. In any case, running these (or any) USB-powered drives off a laptop will have some impact on overall run time on battery; many low power laptops draw just 10~15W AC in normal use, so even the minimal additional load of a USB drive in idle could result in a 10~20% reduction in untethered run time.

_________________
Mike Chin,
Editor/Publisher, SPCR
Support SPCR with your donations!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 2:57 pm
Posts: 507
Location: England
Some root hubs have current limiting circuitry, some don't, hence my comment on less strict systems.

You may want to note that most laptops will entirely disable the root hub unless a device is connected, and that USB has very high (relative) CPU load, which easily pushes up the AC power consumption.

You could fairly easily make a cable to check USB power consumption: Cut the insulation open, break the +5V line, and patch it through a reasonably accurate ammeter (a good quality multimeter would do the trick). Be aware of the risk of data corruption, however.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:16 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11788
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Monkeh16 wrote:
Some root hubs have current limiting circuitry, some don't, hence my comment on less strict systems.

You may want to note that most laptops will entirely disable the root hub unless a device is connected, and that USB has very high (relative) CPU load, which easily pushes up the AC power consumption.

You could fairly easily make a cable to check USB power consumption: Cut the insulation open, break the +5V line, and patch it through a reasonably accurate ammeter (a good quality multimeter would do the trick). Be aware of the risk of data corruption, however.

Good points... and a good idea re- USB cable power monitor. I made a shunt resistor cable-break to monitor the power of SATA and ATA drives, so this should be no problem. Still have a 0.01 ohm resistor or two. Next time I break out the soldering iron and want another project to tackle...

_________________
Mike Chin,
Editor/Publisher, SPCR
Support SPCR with your donations!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:56 pm
Posts: 189
Location: Houston, Texas
Mike,

May I ask why you need an external shunt resistor to measure voltage and apply Ohm's law? You can easily splice in an ammeter directly.

_________________
License to Silence!
Antec SLK3700AMB | ASUS M2R32-MVP (AMD 580X) | AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ (Brisbane) | 2x1GB Corsair XMS DDR2-667 | ATI RADEON X1950 XT w/ AC Accelero S1 | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | 320GB WD Caviar SE 16 (WD3200AAKS) | Samsung 16X DVD+/-RW, Lite-On DVD-ROM | abit AirPace PCI-E Wi-Fi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:46 am
Posts: 55
Location: The Netherlands
Eum, Mike - on the last page, there is a link to the sound of the 640 GB version, but the link points to:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/sou ... d18dba.mp3

The sound sample doesn't sound like a hard drive indeed :)

_________________
Lian-Li PC-G7 | Nexus & AC - fans @ 600 RPM | AC Freezer 7 Pro @ 500-2500 RPM | 9600 GT w/ Accelero S1 | BeQuiet 350 Watt fan @ 5v


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:29 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11788
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
wouterr5 wrote:
Eum, Mike - on the last page, there is a link to the sound of the 640 GB version, but the link points to:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/sou ... d18dba.mp3

The sound sample doesn't sound like a hard drive indeed :)

Strange... amazing no one commented before. Corrected, btw, w/ this file:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/sou ... tgo640.mp3

_________________
Mike Chin,
Editor/Publisher, SPCR
Support SPCR with your donations!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group