Silverstone Sugo SG-06 and Intel DH57JG

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hnyman

Silverstone Sugo SG-06 and Intel DH57JG

Post by hnyman » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:44 am

I said farewell to Shuttle for a while and built a new system based on Intel's H57 based DH57JG motherboard and Silverstone Sugo SG-06 chassis.

DH57JG doesn't offer any real "performance" features, but still has a rather nice feature list and the Intel boards have usually been pretty stable. SG-06 is not the smallest chassis available, but if offers possibilities for later expansion, if needed (e.g. a separate graphics card).

SG-06 next to SP35P2. SG-06 is about 4 cm shorter than Shuttle P2 both regarding height and depth. Width is about the same.

The chassis and motherboard would allow even for a double-wide graphics card, but currently I am trying to see if I can live with the built-in CPU graphics in i5-660 (as I do not game). There is the slim DVD drive on top and the 2.5" HDD attached to the bottom of the DVD cradle.

In the inside I have got plenty of room, as using a 2.5" HDD enabled me to remove 3.5" HDD cradle completely, which leaves the fan pretty open and enables good airflow. I changed the default 3-pin fan to a 4-pin PWM fan, but otherwise no mods. Speedfan takes care of fan speeds.

The left side of the SG-06 has a rather large vent, which helps with a large video card, but might cause trouble when there is no card. I tackled that risk by covering 3/4 of the large vent on the left with a black plastic sheet taped inside the chassis cover. That prevents air escaping too early and forces it to go towards back of the chassis.

I bought short SATA cables - one 30cm long for HDD and one 20cm long for DVD (just enough). That made the cable management really tidy and makes it to look rather spacey:

Last edited by hnyman on Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:35 am

Nice and simple so you can get real work done.

Hazelrah

Post by Hazelrah » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:09 am

Excellent post and appreciate the comparison to the Shuttle. My primary system is an SD11G5 that I can't bear to part away from, but the Silverstone seems the best successor. How is the stock Silverstone noise compared to your SP35P2?

Also good to see the pics with the stock cooler. The SPCR review used some large aftermarket coolers so maybe the large left vent was not a big factor.

It would be nice if Silverstone made a Micro-ATX version of the SG05/SG06 -- a little larger footprint but with the same height (maybe a little higher to fit a full optical drive). Looking at your pics, there is a lot of "wasted" space at the bottom of the case where a larger motherboard could go. Micro-ATX is still significantly cheaper and there are many more options for integrated graphics and other features (especially for AMD boards).

Alternatively, it would be nice if Shuttle just became a case maker as I still prefer the look of their cases. The barebones market is dying if not already dead. But seems like Shuttle would rather become more of an all-in-one builder than a case maker.

hnyman

Post by hnyman » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:18 am

Hazelrah wrote:How is the stock Silverstone noise compared to your SP35P2?
Silverstone is much quieter, even with the stock CPU cooler.

I am using Speedfan for fan control: the CPU fan and the case fan run normally at 40% of max. speed and then ramp up if needed.
Last edited by hnyman on Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

SST Guy
-- Vendor --

Post by SST Guy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:55 pm

Hazelrah wrote:It would be nice if Silverstone made a Micro-ATX version of the SG05/SG06 -- a little larger footprint but with the same height (maybe a little higher to fit a full optical drive). Looking at your pics, there is a lot of "wasted" space at the bottom of the case where a larger motherboard could go. Micro-ATX is still significantly cheaper and there are many more options for integrated graphics and other features (especially for AMD boards).
Even though the cooling layout is a bit different, I would consider our SG01/SG02 to be larger Micro-ATX versions of SG05/SG06 too.

Hazelrah

Post by Hazelrah » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:48 am

Thanks SST Guy. The SG01 and SG02 seem like fine choices, but (in my opinion) the SG05 and SG06 have a much more "clean" look on the front face. I like stealth external drive doors and stealth (or at least subtle) front I/O ports. Silverstone's recent cases seem more headed in that direction, so hopefully you will revisit the SG01 and SG02 design as well.

By the way, I live in Taipei now. Do you have a showroom or store location where I could see and compare all your models at once? Most stores in Guang Hua, etc. seem to have only a couple Silverstone cases (if any).

SST Guy
-- Vendor --

Post by SST Guy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:58 pm

In Guang Hua, you can go to the second floor of Dospara. I believe they have nearly all of our Sugo cases on display there.

Hazelrah

Post by Hazelrah » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:24 am

This thread inspired me to go find an SG06 of my own, although I actually came back with an SG05. I went for the SG05 primarily because it came in a very nice white. It also has some other advantages such as better spacing between the front USB slots and the better airflow, although SPCR's tests seems to show that the SG06 would do just as well.

Downsides are that there are holes everywhere, which is a bit of an eyesore for a white case. I understand that this is intended as a "gaming-ready" case, but with the small size and 300W PSU, I think many people will be running these with integrated or low/mid-tier graphics. As hnyman pointed out, too many vents can also be a problem if you don't fill up all the space. Silverstone might consider reducing the vents on just the white case because I suspect most gamers are buying the black one anyway. ;)

I have not gotten a mobo/CPU to go with this yet, but will post my thoughts when I do.

SST Guy: I checked out Dospara today, thanks for the suggestion. It's a good place for towers but they don't carry any of your mini-ITX cases. Luckily, I just happened to pass by a hard-to-find place called 數ä½

Hazelrah

Re: Silverstone Sugo SG-06 and Intel DH57JG

Post by Hazelrah » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:09 am

For anybody that followed this thread, I posted my completed build in the General Gallery here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=60480