Antec Solo 1 becomes 2

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nicolas

Antec Solo 1 becomes 2

Post by nicolas » Thu May 23, 2013 4:29 am

Hello all,
This is my first post on SPCR. Many of your posts here were useful for me to build my PC, so I wanted to say thanks and register to show you that build. If it can give an idea for someone, then I'm glad :)
Well, it's not a powerful system neither recent one. See my signature for details.
I run Debian GNU/Linux, and the hardware is enough for browsing Web, listening to music, or watching some DVDs.
I made a few modifications on Antec Solo case, mainly cutting a top vent for a fanless PSU and removing 3.5" trays. Now it looks like an Antec Solo 2.
Here are some pics:

http://pix.toile-libre.org/upload/origi ... 310676.jpg
http://pix.toile-libre.org/upload/origi ... 311225.jpg

Next upgrades I plan to make are replacing my 500GB Scorpio Black to a Scorpio Blue 1TB and put some foam inside the case, since I can hear some kind of "echo".
But this build is pretty quiet now^^

alisonc

Re: Antec Solo 1 becomes 2

Post by alisonc » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:19 pm

Nice. :) So you're running two video cards... how many monitors do you have?

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:45 pm

Welcome to SPCR !!

Fun rig. What kind of temps do you get ?
I assume you are using the fan door for your 92 mm fan ? I suggest you move it closer to the video cards, they will thank you for it !! And if you happen to have a 120mm fan, even better !

I like that you removed the drive bays... how did you do it ? I'm thinking about doing this next time I change my hardware. Nice cut to the bottom of the case ! Do the cable just hang under the case ? I don't remember the Solo having a double bottom... I might steal this idea too :)

(nice to see a frenchman around !!)

nicolas

Post by nicolas » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:51 am

Hi,
Sorry for being late to reply.
alisonc wrote:Nice. :) So you're running two video cards... how many monitors do you have?
Thanks! I have only 2 monitors: one 19" Samsung (4:3 aspect ratio) and one 32" LCD TV screen (16:9 aspect ratio).
I need two video cards for easily setting up a multiseat configuration: I can use two independant PC sessions at the same time.
frenchie wrote:Welcome to SPCR !!

Fun rig. What kind of temps do you get ?
Thanks!
With 23°C as a room temperature, I got:
  • 43°C/41°C for cores 1 and 2
  • 42°C for northbridge
  • 39°C for southbridge
  • 33°C for bottom fanless VGA (520GT)
  • 39°C for upper VGA (GT430)
  • 33°C for both SSD and HDD
Recently, room temps are higher (summer time) so PC temps increased:
With 26°C as a room temperature, I get now:
  • 47°C/44°C for cores 1 and 2
  • 47°C for northbridge
  • 44°C for southbridge
  • 39°C for bottom fanless VGA (520GT)
  • 44°C for upper VGA (GT430)
  • 39°C for both SSD and HDD
frenchie wrote:I assume you are using the fan door for your 92 mm fan ? I suggest you move it closer to the video cards, they will thank you for it !! And if you happen to have a 120mm fan, even better !
Well, I don't use any fan on the fan door.
Actually, I did some update since I uploaded pictures on the topic. I removed the 92mm fan of the upper VGA card and I put it vertically closer to the video cards, on a custom wood frame (I will put an updated picture of it).
So now the 92mm fan is blowing also on motherboard and specially on north and southbridge.
But I'll put a 120mm fan, as you suggested (I still have a Noctua that I can use for that purpose).
frenchie wrote:I like that you removed the drive bays... how did you do it ? I'm thinking about doing this next time I change my hardware.
For removing drive bays, I simply drilled a few rivets at front and bottom side of the case chassis. Something I wanted to do next was to suspend the 3.5" adapter to the remaining 5.25" drive bay (but I don't have enough time now). that way, there could have been an optimal air flow inside the case.
frenchie wrote:Nice cut to the bottom of the case ! Do the cable just hang under the case ? I don't remember the Solo having a double bottom... I might steal this idea too :)
Thanks! Actually, I didn't cut bottom of the case. I created a custom double bottom (~10mm thick) by cutting an aluminium plate and putting it on standoffs. Using a fine aluminium plate (0.6mm) makes easy to cut it. The only thing to do at the bottom of the case was to drill small holes for standoffs.
Please feel free to steal anything you wish! As a reminder, I did put steps of this mod on my blog (address is in my profile).
frenchie wrote:(nice to see a frenchman around !!)
:) you're the first frenchman I see on SPCR forum.

nicolas

Post by nicolas » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:34 pm

Hi!
Here is some updated pics of my rig. No more 92mm fan attached by plastic clamps on the upper graphic card.
As you can see, there is only a few milimeters between CPU heatsink and Antec Solo right side panel, but it's fine.
Image Image

I changed my WD Scorpio Black for a WD Scorpio Blue (500GB, 2.5", single platter, 7mm-thickness). I really cannot listen to it compared to Scorpio Black :)

On the last pic, I installed one 120mm Noctua fan in front of the graphics. NB and CPU temps did rise a little (respectively 50°C and 51°C), but I assume it's because of summer weather.