My first proper post!
I decided about a month ago that I needed a new PC - my Core 2 Dual laptop was beginning to feel slow, despite having a ram & ssd upgrade. Also had an AMD Phenom X4 / HD 6870 Gming machine, which I never used cos I rarely play games (and that PC used to draw about 300W... Which is a lot considering our house is solar powered...)
I decided on a low profile 2U rackmount case I will be building myself, to complement my other studio gear. Will need to be as quiet as possible, so it doesn't interfere with recording in the same room, and also as energy efficient as possible. I have currently built it open on the bench, to check everything is working OK
Main uses (other than general browsing etc)
- Photo Editing using Photoshop & Lightroom
- Video Editing using Premier Pro
- Music Recording / production / Mastering (Cubase, Logic etc)
- CAD Drawing (Mostly electronic, however I do do mechanical stuff)
- Light gaming
So far I have:
- Asus P8H77-M Pro motherboard
- Intel Core i3 3225 Processor
- 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz RAM (from Gaming PC)
- PicoPSU 160XT & 192W 12V Brick (V Rated)
- Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD (System Drive, from Gaming PC)
- Western Digital Blue 1TB 2.5 HDD (Documents)
- Hitachi 320GB 2.5 HDD (VST Samples)
- 2x Sony Optiarc BD-5750H Slim Blu Ray Burner
- Unbranded USB 3.0 Card Read & Hub
- Intel 5300AGN Mini PCIe Wireless card & PCIe Adapter
- Firewire 800/400 Card with TI Chipset to connect to my firewire audio interface
Cooling consists / will consist of
- Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev B CPU Cooler
- 3 x Noctua NF-R8 PWM 80mm Fans
- Homemade Chipset Cooler
I am also using the HD6870 from my Gaming PC in the x4 Slot, until I can replace it with a low profile Graphics Card (I'm thinking Sapphire Low Profile HD 7750???) (It won't go in the x16 slot, as I have a larger cooler on the chipset.)
Also considering upgrading the CPU to a i7 3770 at some point.
Everything has been undervolted a little. CPU is down by 60mV, Ram down to 1.35 from 1.65. GPU is down to 1075mV still at stock speeds.
So far noise levels are impressive, Without the HD 6870 in, it is as near silent as can be (Using Speedfan to control fan speeds) The Scythe Big Shuriken 2 is a gem, idles about 550rpm, reaches 750 when stressing iGPU & CPU, and CPU never gets above 50 C.
Power Draw is also very good, 22W Idle without dGPU, 45W with dGPU, reaching to 55W without dGPU, 168W with when stress tested with Furmark & Heavyload.
I have made a new Chipset Cooler heatsink, the stock one was reaching 65C without airflow, so I used an old heatsink I had around which reduced temps to 44C with no airflow. (remember this is on the benchtop. I do have 2x 80mm Nocutas plugged in, but at idle they shut off)
I have yet to start building the case, although I am slowly ordering all the parts needed. I'll pop up a CAD drawing once I've done a rough mock-up... It will be constructed from 8mm aluminium plate for the sides & a central divider, 1.2mm plate top, bottom & back with bracing, and a 3mm 2U rack panel for the front.
Unfortunately no photos yet, but I'll get posting as I start building the case! (If not before!)