SPCR's influence on our buying behavior

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

How has SPCR affected your buying habits?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:51 am

None at all
3%
I buy more stuff
17%
I buy less stuff
3%
I use SPCR's "Recommended" lists as a shopping list
53%
I submit all potential purchases to the SPCR forums for approval
10%
MikeC is my personal shopper
13%

Total votes: 30

tm
Friend of SPCR

SPCR's influence on our buying behavior

Post by tm » Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:51 am

I know it's influenced mine. I see it in my credit card statements. :shock:

aristide1

Also

Post by aristide1 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:13 pm

I was totally concerned with just fan noise initially, the forum changed that around for me, not to mention I won't be buying anymore IBM hard drives (my is 2 years old). HD isolation here I come. :D

slippy

Post by slippy » Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:40 pm

I use SPCR's "Recommended" lists as a shopping list = MikeC is my personal shopper :D

tm
Friend of SPCR

Post by tm » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:35 pm

slippy wrote:I use SPCR's "Recommended" lists as a shopping list = MikeC is my personal shopper :D
Well personal shoppers generally have the credit cards and handle all the nitty gritty of ordering stuff for their clients ;)

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:44 pm

I didn't know what answer to pick! Since I DO buy more stuff AND I use SPCR's "Recommended" lists as a shopping list AND I submit all potential purchases to the SPCR forums for approval AND MikeC is my personal shopper!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:05 am

Silent computers are priceless!

:shock: $$$$ :shock:
:shock: ££££ :shock:

seishino

Post by seishino » Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:35 am

What about "I buy all of my stuff through the hot deals section?"

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:33 am

both of:

I buy more stuff

...and...

I use SPCR's "Recommended" lists as a shopping list

I have been getting more work as a tech since I started quietening peoples' systems. So I buy for them too. Everybody happy! The computer industry needs to find a new gig, now that most/many machines are all fast enough to do what the users want. The horsepower race is not the only show in town any more. Most of my users are happy with 1-2GHz ballpark, now they want quiet things that are nice to live with. With the help of SPCR, I am happy to oblige.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:38 am

crisspy wrote:The computer industry needs to find a new gig, now that most/many machines are all fast enough to do what the users want. The horsepower race is not the only show in town any more. Most of my users are happy with 1-2GHz ballpark, now they want quiet things that are nice to live with. With the help of SPCR, I am happy to oblige.
Boy, ain't that the truth. That's why I think SPCR has a good future.

I've actually built a few 1.1A Celeron-based systems for people over the last few months. That's plenty of speed for about 95% of normal users' needs and they run so cool that it's easy to make a "Quieter than Dell" system built around a Tualeron.

CRT_Leech

Post by CRT_Leech » Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:14 am

I based a lot of my decisions on what I've read on this site.

My new system consists of:
GlobalWIN YCC-61F1-B (for 120mm fans, front and back),
Antec TruePower 550 Watt power supply,
Asus P4G8X Deluxe mainboard,
P4 2.66GHz 533MHz bus processor,
SLK900U with a 92mm Panaflo L1A (Artic Silver 2),
2x Panaflo 120mm L1A's for the case,
Maxtor Diamond Max 9 80GB ATA133 (Fluid Dynamic Bearings),
A Serial ATA to PATA adapter for the above hard drive,
2x512MB sticks of Corsair TWINX CAS 2-2-2-5-T1 rated matched memory,
Audigy 2 Platinum sound card (Black faceplate and buttons),
ATI AIW 9700 Raedeon Pro 128MB video card,
Toshiba 16x DVD-ROM (Black),
Sony 3.5" FDD (Black)

I wanted a fast and quiet computer for gaming and home theater setup, using it for a PVR, MP3 player and my sole DVD player (at the moment).

Tonight I see if it actually works. It's fully assembled, but, I didn't have time to hook it up and install the OS yet. Hopefully, it's as quiet enough. The only thing that I worry about is the video card fan/heatsink. If that's the loudest component, I'll throw a Zalman heatpipe/heatsink on it.

Thanks to this site and MikeC for all the great information!

Laters,
CRT_Leech

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:59 am

Leach that power supply is wayyy overkill. A 300w would run that system easy. Im betting that antec power supply will be one of the louder components.

CRT_Leech

Post by CRT_Leech » Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:52 pm

The specs on the ATI AIW 9700 list a 300W as a bare minimum. I'm running the Live Drive front bay for the Audigy 2 and all of the additional USB and Firewire ports up front, so I wanted to make sure I had more than enough power. I rather have overkill not working at full (and heating up) then just barely making it and having my system crash or run buggy.

Also, with it not utulizing it's maximum output, or near that, the power supply run should run cooler and quieter, since it's fans are thermally monitored.

CRT_Leech

Post by CRT_Leech » Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:07 pm

Well, it works, it's quiet, fast, looks cool and so far lives up to my expectations. I will run Memory and video benchmarks on it to make sure it's running at full speed and at my expected performance levels.

The only problem I have had, is I'm getting some EMI that is creating half inch high horizontal bands in my monitor, on occasion and it interferes with my tv set on some of the channels (cable tv). I'm thinking it may be the Panaflos or the power supply. I'll test the system without any case or CPU fans, just to see if that's the case.

The holes for the front and rear case fans are about 1/4" across, so that may not be enough shielding. Maybe a fine mesh that doesn't restrict airflow that much may help? I was also thinking of wrapping a copper wire around the fan casings and grounding them to the case... I don't know, anyone have any ideas?

I really need to get it figured out, since this is supposed to be a Home Theater PC, which would be ruined with interferance on the HTPC output channel.

Thanks,
CRT_Leech