nforce 5.10 causes PSU (antec phantom) whine?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

silencery

nforce 5.10 causes PSU (antec phantom) whine?

Post by silencery » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:24 pm

Okidoki, not quite sure where this goes but anyways...

So I installed the nforce 5.10 unified last night and right afterwards, I realized that my PSU, an Antec Phantom, started exhibiting a rather annoying whine.

It's a high-pitched noise, but it goes away after I use audio such as playing an mp3, any system sounds, games, etc. After sitting idle for a while however, the whine comes back. I'm using the onboard audio on my A7N8X.

I know this sounds odd, but I was wondering if anybody ever had a similar experience?

I haven't rolled back the drivers yet, but installing the 5.10 drivers was the only change that was made before the whine started happening, so I'm fairly certain one of the drivers was the culprit... perhaps its ACPI related?

silencery

Post by silencery » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:44 am

anybody?

hvengel

Post by hvengel » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:31 pm

I would back out the new driver to test if this is really part of the problem. It could have been a coincidence that the new driver installation and the PSU whine started at the same time. If it is not a coincidence then the whine will go away. If the whine does not go away then you will need to look some where else for the source of the problem.

One of the things I have learned from my many years working in IT is that it is easy to jump to the wrong conclusion that there is a relationship between two events when fact it was just a coindidence. So when two events occur at what appears to be the same time you must do some testing to know for sure that there is or is not a cause-effect relationship between these two events.

silencery

Post by silencery » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:57 pm

yeah, thanks for the tip. The first thing I do when i find the opportunity is to roll back the drivers. I was just curious if other people have experienced anything like this; i'd rather find a fix for it if such a problem has come up before.

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:12 pm

silencery, not really necessary to bump a post after 20 minutes is there? Shame on you. Go to your room ;)

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:21 pm

Pjotor wrote:silencery, not really necessary to bump a post after 20 minutes is there? Shame on you. Go to your room ;)
I counted 12 hours and 20 minutes between his 1st & 2nd post. :?

silencery

Post by silencery » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:30 am

haha, ok, embarrasing, but hvengel, you were completely right.

When I was checking, i was pretty tired and eager to get to bed so I didn't properly check where the sound was REALLY coming from. It turns out that the USB port directly above the Phantom was making the whining noise and not the PSU itself.

There's a setting in windows under device manager which allows you to disable windows power management of USB ports; I happened to have a similar problem on my laptop. Once disabled, the whining went away!

silencery

Post by silencery » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:33 am

Oh yeah, thanks for pointing that out sthayashi. I know better than that :oops: