Passive cooled radeon?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BFG

Passive cooled radeon?

Post by BFG » Wed May 07, 2003 8:32 am

I have no idea about the radeon range of graphics cards. I have the 7200 vivo card which I picked up for $30. It has a little fan on it which makes a crap load of noise.

I have an old AMD aluminum heatsink (you know the one you get with the retail chips). I am thinking of dremeling it down to about an inch high and cutting the sides off so it is around and inch square, and attaching it to the GPU with heat tape stuff.

Will this provide enough cooling? It will be in a desktop (remember those) case with no system fans.

dgouldin

Post by dgouldin » Wed May 07, 2003 10:33 am

My 7500 came with a fan. I just disconnected it, and I haven't had any stability problems. But I don't play games very often, so I can't say I've really pushed it to its max. I'd try that approach before going through all that effort.

Will35

Post by Will35 » Wed May 07, 2003 11:01 am

BFG, I'm using a 9000 Pro and have had the fan disconnected for a month or more with no ill effects including long bouts of gaming. It did have some incidental airflow from the internal 120 fan on my Sonata but that fan has now been replaced by an undervolted 60x15 Panaflo directly under the HD. Point being, the graphics card is getting by just fine w/ only the random turbulance in the case.