There is no such thing as silent PC

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Japanese Capacitor

Re: There is no such thing as silent PC

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:26 am

I asked you, ,,what does it mean to be fond?" :] Yeah, I can check it in dictionary, but I still don't get what you wanted to say.
JVM wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:36 am
Well, the MB will be Asus z590a if that has any bearing on whether or not it is i5 11400 or i7 11700. Does that have an effect on your recommendation?
I would start with I don't like that these guys sell locked (non-K) CPUs on Z590 motherboard. The only advantage Z590-A offers over B560 ones is option to overclock K-chip, which they don't even offer you... Add to this that Z590 are significantly more expensive boards and in addition this Asus is quite pricey compared to others Z ones and what it represents. If you wonder, B560 isn't some cheaper garbage for third world, but being able to offer the same quality just reasonable choice for somebody buying non-K chip.

Z590-A is less conservative about Power Limits, but it really doesn't matter, if it's just webbrowsing and chess computer. This CPUs paired with strong GPU and running demanding games pulls <100W, so conclude that with 11700 this passive cooler will just need to deal with another 10W of power than 11400 in such gaming scenario, which according to your words won't even happen.

I forgot my thought about you using case fans in summer with passive build. If you need to do it in terms of needing to lower your CPU's temps to comfortable ones and then fans need to run that fast that you can even slightly hear them - leave this approach. If something like will be needed with new computer we discuss, just buy yourself this thing: https://www.scytheus.com/ninja5
I personally use it with my 9700K, so can guarantee that you won't hear it with two fans running 500, maybe even 600 rpm without sticking your ear to it as normal people don't. Due to it's construction left fan will also serve as case's exhaust fan. So staying literally silent then it will just kill your passive cooler + case fans thermally. No joking - maybe due to your age you use some hearing enhancement, which when you sit next to your computer lets you detect cougar sneaking into your neightbours garden... than I can't discuss :]

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:01 am

I have a ninja in my old computer that is not working. Video card #3 has died after just 4 days. Fond as in you are not particularly enamored with, for sure not one of your favorites. This I am typing on my cell phone with old and wrinkled fingers.

I don't use any type of hearing assistance. I can hear my PS5 fan from 14 feet away.

If you liked the Meshify C case filters, then I would say You appear to be fond of those filters.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:13 am

I didn't say using rear case fan or any fan for passive build. I use a front fan 92mm Nexus in my present build in summer. I have always used rear case fan in my builds. That will changed in new passive build where I wil not use any fans--not even psu with fan.

After Meshify C starts to burn up and house is on fire and fire dept comes too late. I will build new house and new computer.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:45 am

Now I get it with these filters ;) Definitely I'm not enamored with Meshify C's filters, because it has only one type I like on the bottom and two I don't like, but without case fans in your configuration it shouldn't matter. Just remove the dust from this on the top more frequently in case of dicreasing frequency of cleaning interior, but nothing to really care with fanless build.

With mentioned by you case fans and not strict names of components I assumed that you have some older passive build, where you install fans only during summer. Especially that Ninja further suggested me that as this line has quite long history and - if I'm not wrong - first iterations were sold without fan or with fan marketed rather as something optional for ones, who won't find just heatsink enough. I linked you the newest, fifth iteration of Ninja as something one of the kind, which like every cooler can be used passive, but it's fans have quite wide range of inaudible speeds, this thing is damn big, so less job for fans and construction suggest rather it being meant to be active cooler due to high density of fins - shortly more cooling power still staying silent as passive one. Just know about it as in need of dicreasing CPU temps in passive build it's better idea than mixing passive cooler with case fans: thermally, acoustically and dustially - now such word exist :D

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:26 am

My ninja is huge--and I at first installed a fan on it that was removed years ago. So you are not fond of asus z590a nor Meshify front and top filters. I just received a letter delivered by USS postal Express from Mr. Meshify himself. In it he expresses much despair at your evaluation of his filters. Nonetheless he insists he will carry on making filters that you don't like. The reason he goes on to say is because he likes to annoy Japanese capacitors.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:52 am

Mr. Meshify've never had much to say. I told Mr Fractal to do what is needed with him - remove from this world and replace with one with only filters I like - Meshify 2 Compact. Probably there're some from his tribe left in this world, but they won't last forever :]

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:09 am

So you have communicated with Fractal Meshify. Well, at least you expressed your meshifyable opinion to him, and now he knows what to do.

May peace be with you.

Signed,

JVM
Juckal Vactal Meshify

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:15 am

Come back to tell, how you like your new pc!

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:56 am

Yes, I will, but it likely won't get here for at least a few weeks. Maybe I will take some pictures while it's new and free of dust. Can't wait too long because cat hair and flying dust may cover the whole thing up.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:17 pm

My fanless computer arrived and I took a few pictures. I can say it is dead silent. Now it did get fairly warm to the touch on top, so maybe it won't last too long. Since I'll be 79 years old in August, maybe I won't last too long either.

An interesting thing is internet speed test has significantly improved! I was getting 100 to 150 max and now over 200 to 240 and my speed with cable is 250.

Funny thing is when the computer arrived (pre-built with chosen parts), I took off the side glass panel, looked inside and didn't see a hard drive! At first I wondered if they forgot to install the hard drive. I looked in the Fractal booklet and realized the HDD must be under that bottom enclosure. Still, I wasn't completely sure until it started up.

I tried to upload pictures before but it wouldn't work, so I reduced the size and hopefully it will work now.

Well, I tried all the way down to 300 x 400 and it still says too large! I give up.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:28 pm

Yeah, try upping the pixel count but use more compression on the jpeg to get the file size down to under 250kB.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:29 am

CA_Steve wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:28 pm
Yeah, try upping the pixel count but use more compression on the jpeg to get the file size down to under 250kB.
I don't know how to use more compression. I changed quality from high to medium and that made no difference, still 2.45 MB

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:39 am

Take the huge image from the camera, doesn't matter how huge it is. Load it into an image editor, like Gimp maybe. Resize the image if you want, we want the dimensions to be somewhat reasonable (in Gimp: Image -> Scale Image). Then export the image as JPEG (in Gimp: File -> Export As) and set the quality value (0-100) to something that gives us a nice file size without sacrificing too much quality.

There are also online services like https://compressjpeg.com/ etc but I have never used them personally.

Besides dimensions and compression level also file type matters. JPEG is good for photos and the like. But for screenshots of GUIs and such PNG is a much better format. Perfect quality and low file size, for the right type of image.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:56 am

Alternatively just open this big image with Microsoft Paint (right click on in, Open With). Then above picture you have option Change Size. Change size to like 30% - if it's similarly small to the ones I uploaded before, it should work. Then save it as JPG.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:18 am

Japanese Capacitor wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:56 am
Alternatively just open this big image with Microsoft Paint (right click on in, Open With). Then above picture you have option Change Size. Change size to like 30% - if it's similarly small to the ones I uploaded before, it should work. Then save it as JPG.
That was so easy even I could do it :D

I will now try the impossible and upload pictures in next post. I could do it here but better to build suspense :lol:

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:25 am

Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:56 am
I must be doing something wrong. I clicked on attachments and it said file too large. I did the 30% and it is jpg. What next???

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:20 am

Dicrease the size further until it works. Steve checked for you, how heavy files should work, so it's worth to compare his findings with sizes of your files. And then hit us with biggest possible, damn largest photos this forum has ever seen :D

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:39 pm

These photos were taken before computer was asked to startup. I am being very careful with it and trying to build confidence, not for computer--for me. Well, looks much better at actual size. Anyway, no fans but many different colored lights--looks like a Christmas tree inside.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:36 pm

One question I have is any difference relative to heat between glass or steel side panel?

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:40 pm

I did some YouTube music videos and played my chess game (Chessmaster Grand Master Edition) and had HWMonitor on for monitoring.

Utilization/Processor/CPU 0-15 all below 88% while CPU #2 maxed @ 100%

Mainboard maxed @ 30C

CPU maxed @ 43C

Clocks all cores maxed at 2499MHz--computer is 2.50 GHz. Looks like that is maxed.

Temps for all cores 42-45C

GPU maxed at 76% only during chess game. Well, I made the damn thing think real hard! :)

Powers: Package maxed at 26.86 W, IA Cores maxed at 18.84 W, GT and Uncore maxed below 10 W

Volume level is much higher than with Soundblaster Z meaning less volume boost needed with onboard Audio.

Video quality was I believe somewhat better with GT 1030 fanless video card. I could install that card but just don't want more heat.

I still would like to know if there would be a difference relative to heat between a glass and steel side panel. The case has a glass side panel but I could also use a steel side panel. Any difference regarding heat?

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:26 pm

There shouldn't be a difference in temps between glass and solid panel. When I was building my current computer I built it in enclosure bought especially to conduct few experiments with to just increase my knowledge and help me choose the best case for me. I wanted to see for myself, how few things work, and one of this experiments was ordering metal side panel to change glass one. There's popular opinion around internet that glass panel increases temps and noise, but my testing showed, that it doesn't. Worth to mention is, I was testing it during gaming, so realistic scenario, not some heaviest stress test like trying hard to prove something, what in the end won't happen in real life. Glass wasn't also louder, it even seemed a little quiter, but I'm not sure - I don't have dBA meter and that was just my impression. Due to you not having moving parts in your config, your choice should be aestetics.

Your computer looks nice and cleanly built :] And this cooler makes me feel like ten years younger :D

You can turn off case light with unplugging HDD and Power led cables from the motherboard. Almost for sure you can turn off motherboard's lights with mobo's software: Armoury Crate or AURA Creator. It's nothing complicated, but if you need some guide with these programs - youtube. Nowadays components has these damn leds everywhere and that's how typical modern computer looks like:

There're voices from the underground side of pc hardware world that force staying behind this tendency is manifesting here it's power LGBT lobby... And it seems legit... For sure, man! Putting their symbolism everywhere, on damn random user computer! Now think about your relatives, think about what they could think about you after seeing your computer looking like that. If you wouldn't like that, that's why better turn off these leds and save them such wondering ;)

Hard to judge a clocks with Chessmaster and I don't have an idea, which stess test would be adequate for your passive build.

About GPU, what is your CPU and GPU? I assume that you have 11700, but with GT 1030 there's a catch. There're two versions of this card - DDR4 and GDDR5. DDR4 is just comparable to 11700's integrated graphics, but GDDR5 is way better: more than 40% faster.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:14 am

Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:26 pm
There shouldn't be a difference in temps between glass and solid panel. When I was building my current computer I built it in enclosure bought especially to conduct few experiments with to just increase my knowledge and help me choose the best case for me. I wanted to see for myself, how few things work, and one of this experiments was ordering metal side panel to change glass one. There's popular opinion around internet that glass panel increases temps and noise, but my testing showed, that it doesn't. Worth to mention is, I was testing it during gaming, so realistic scenario, not some heaviest stress test like trying hard to prove something, what in the end won't happen in real life. Glass wasn't also louder, it even seemed a little quiter, but I'm not sure - I don't have dBA meter and that was just my impression. Due to you not having moving parts in your config, your choice should be aestetics.

Your computer looks nice and cleanly built :] And this cooler makes me feel like ten years younger :D

You can turn off case light with unplugging HDD and Power led cables from the motherboard. Almost for sure you can turn off motherboard's lights with mobo's software: Armoury Crate or AURA Creator. It's nothing complicated, but if you need some guide with these programs - youtube. Nowadays components has these damn leds everywhere and that's how typical modern computer looks like:

There're voices from the underground side of pc hardware world that force staying behind this tendency is manifesting here it's power LGBT lobby... And it seems legit... For sure, man! Putting their symbolism everywhere, on damn random user computer! Now think about your relatives, think about what they could think about you after seeing your computer looking like that. If you wouldn't like that, that's why better turn off these leds and save them such wondering ;)

Hard to judge a clocks with Chessmaster and I don't have an idea, which stess test would be adequate for your passive build.

About GPU, what is your CPU and GPU? I assume that you have 11700, but with GT 1030 there's a catch. There're two versions of this card - DDR4 and GDDR5. DDR4 is just comparable to 11700's integrated graphics, but GDDR5 is way better: more than 40% faster.
i don't have the GT 1030 in Fractal case--that was in my old case. The Meshify case has onboard Graphics and onboard Audio. I had both Soundblaster Z and GT 1030 in old case with fans.

GT 1030 would surely add more heat to Meshify and turn Meshify into liquidfy--liquidfy as in melting components.

I showed the Meshify to wife and she said it looks like Disco.

If I turn off case lights, then wouldn't the LEDs for Ethernet also turn off? Ethernet LEDs indicate activity and speed.If all the lights were turned off, how would I know the computer is on? :roll: Now that is a silly question! 8)

I didn't play my chess to stress computer, just checking temps while playing and watching YouTube video. What do you think of my temps? Well, it wasn't a hot day and no need for central air. Some hot weather is on the way and I will test again. However, when room gets to around 80F, then central air will be called upon to help computer live longer.

What I read regarding temps is CPU temp is okay up to 60C. Does that seem correct to you?

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:56 am

At first, really don't worry about the temperatures. Components have securities, which when they run too hot make them cool themself by delicately loosing performance. If it's not enough, they just turn off, so don't worry until you see something like this. Plus temperatures you wrote here are really low - they look like typical computer's component temperatures during doing nothing or webbrowsing. You can dig for temperature your CPU start to thermal throttle (mentioned loosing performance). If I remember well, it's 100C, so if it runs anything lower than that, it's fine. Generally you bought yourself fully passively cooled computer, so just accept it will run hotter than actively cooled.

No, potato like GT 1030 won't add noticeable amount of heat, but if it's DDR4 one, it doesn't make sense to install it. The same with your sound card as you have one of the best integrated audios on your board and I doubt you would notice the difference between this and sound card. But it's always the best to check it yourself ofc.

Meshify C has two diode cables - HDD led and Power led. First shows HDD activity, secound if computer is on. After unplugging them you just won't see the diode lighting and signalizing that computer is on. Both don't affect anything else and have nothing to Ethernet or any other diodes like e.g leds on your motherboard. These HDD and Power diodes are like two desk lamps - if you disconnect them from electricity, you will still be able to light other connected sources of light in the room or use other electrical devices the same as you could before - all you change is not being able to light these two lamps.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:51 am

Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:56 am
At first, really don't worry about the temperatures. Components have securities, which when they run too hot make them cool themself by delicately loosing performance. If it's not enough, they just turn off, so don't worry until you see something like this. Plus temperatures you wrote here are really low - they look like typical computer's component temperatures during doing nothing or webbrowsing. You can dig for temperature your CPU start to thermal throttle (mentioned loosing performance). If I remember well, it's 100C, so if it runs anything lower than that, it's fine. Generally you bought yourself fully passively cooled computer, so just accept it will run hotter than actively cooled.

No, potato like GT 1030 won't add noticeable amount of heat, but if it's DDR4 one, it doesn't make sense to install it. The same with your sound card as you have one of the best integrated audios on your board and I doubt you would notice the difference between this and sound card. But it's always the best to check it yourself ofc.

Meshify C has two diode cables - HDD led and Power led. First shows HDD activity, secound if computer is on. After unplugging them you just won't see the diode lighting and signalizing that computer is on. Both don't affect anything else and have nothing to Ethernet or any other diodes like e.g leds on your motherboard. These HDD and Power diodes are like two desk lamps - if you disconnect them from electricity, you will still be able to light other connected sources of light in the room or use other electrical devices the same as you could before - all you change is not being able to light these two lamps.
I searched YouTube and found someone demonstrating how to turn off RGB lights in either always or just sleep. He showed how to do it using Aura and also in BIOS. I entered the BIOS with much trepidation and was very excited to see all the goodies :) The BIOS in my old Gigabyte EX38 MB was so much easier to navigate. Anyway, He showed Advanced mode/Advanced and there was RGB LED Lighting. Problem is when I went into Advanced mode, there wasn't any such listing. I also looked to see where I could disable onboard audio and no such option existed--at least not what I could find. Fortunately I didn't install Soundblaster Z 8)
I have the Prime Z590-A DVD that came with MB, so will run that and see if the option is there. Oh, in BIOS under Aura there is a setting to turn off LEDs and leave functional lights on. I could choose that in BIOS if DVD doesn't help. However, I prefer the option to just turn off LEDs when computer is in sleep mode--and leave on when not in sleep mode. That way, young people can be impressed with Christmas tree lights shining through the case.

Now there is another situation that needs attention. I have 2 cats that when coming into my den where computer resides, they get frightened by the lights and run away. Now maybe they think my computer is some evil wolf or something. Thus, the question is should I turn lights off when in sleep mode and risk cat hairs getting into my computer? One other solution is installing side steel panel and leaving LEDs on and keeping cats out. The LEDS shining up and out front don't bother me.
Very strange I couldn't find the option to disable onboard audio or onboard video. Anyway, not really all that important since you say there wouldn't be much difference using GT 1030 and Soundblaster Z. I think there might be but what do I know :?:
Oh, yes I have 32GB of DDR4.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:04 am

I think the easiest way to turn off lights or change the way they function will be to use Armoury Crate. You can download it from Asus site, if it's more convenient for you: https://www.asus.com/pl/Motherboards-Co ... _Download/

I don't think that you would notice a difference between onboard audio and your sound card, but who knows. It's always best to compare.

If we talk about your GPU, DDR4 or GDDR5 thing comes back and determines, if it's worth to use it or not.

About cats, they are for sure curious about new shining thing on their territory, but they are not stupid dogs - safety and intelligence activites first :] I bet after not so long you will see them warming up asses laying on mesh top of your case. But don't worry, it won't hurt anything. The worse thing a cat could do to computer is puke inside thru this mesh top.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:42 am

Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:04 am
I think the easiest way to turn off lights or change the way they function will be to use Armoury Crate. You can download it from Asus site, if it's more convenient for you: https://www.asus.com/pl/Motherboards-Co ... _Download/

I don't think that you would notice a difference between onboard audio and your sound card, but who knows. It's always best to compare.

If we talk about your GPU, DDR4 or GDDR5 thing comes back and determines, if it's worth to use it or not.

About cats, they are for sure curious about new shining thing on their territory, but they are not stupid dogs - safety and intelligence activites first :] I bet after not so long you will see them warming up asses laying on mesh top of your case. But don't worry, it won't hurt anything. The worse thing a cat could do to computer is puke inside thru this mesh top.
One of my cats must be strongly related to Lions. I mean, he chases dogs away! I named him Houdini and he is big and strong. Whatever he wants, he gets it!

I read a post where someone suggested BIOS/Advanced/Onboard Devices Configuration and then LED Lighting. I did that and there are all the options for LEDs that anyone could want, for example, when off or standby, or both. Also, I found there options to disable onboard audio.

The thing is, my old Gigabyte board manual listed all the options in BIOS and what they do, and what you can select, such as enable or disable.

Look, My old computer with DDR2 RAM and GT 1030 fanless presented an excellent video experience, whether playing chess game or watching videos on YouTube, and even recorded shows from FuboTV.
The Soundblaster Z audio card in same setup was outstanding. Now it did require much more volume level than Intel audio. About heat, I believe the GT 1030 fanless would definitely increase heat factor. How much I don't know. Sound card not a problem.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:13 am

Just play with these lights and see what you like the most :] I have all of my leds turned off, because I have case without window and generally leds don't fit my taste.

About GPU and sound card, I think you should try them and see, if it feels better to you. Generally stop worry about these damn temperatures. It looks to me like somebody told you that your passive pc will burn due to no fans, but that's bs. During your usage as webrowsing or some chess your hardware pulls almost no power, so create almost no heat. You can for sure put here these GPU and sound card, if you like and I doubt you will see any changes in temps ;)

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:27 am

Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:13 am
Just play with these lights and see what you like the most :] I have all of my leds turned off, because I have case without window and generally leds don't fit my taste.

About GPU and sound card, I think you should try them and see, if it feels better to you. Generally stop worry about these damn temperatures. It looks to me like somebody told you that your passive pc will burn due to no fans, but that's bs. During your usage as webrowsing or some chess your hardware pulls almost no power, so create almost no heat. You can for sure put here these GPU and sound card, if you like and I doubt you will see any changes in temps ;)
Do you have Windows OS? There is one thing I would love to do and that is eliminate having to click on icon to enter pin.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:44 am

You mean PIN needed to log in, which replaced password? I don't know, if it's possible to remove need to click, but you can always just remove whole need to type anything - have your computer accesible without any confirmation steps as pin or password.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:49 am

Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:44 am
You mean PIN needed to log in, which replaced password? I don't know, if it's possible to remove need to click, but you can always just remove whole need to type anything - have your computer accesible without any confirmation steps as pin or password.
How could I do that?