Reinstalling XP

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Reinstalling XP

Post by JVM » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:43 am

When using the XP cd to delete all the info on the hdd, there comes up a choice upon booting from cd to either Install Windows XP or Delete the partition. What is the way to go here?

Or, what is the procedure for wiping out everything on the hdd and reinstalling XP using the XP disc?

GenghiS_KhaN

Post by GenghiS_KhaN » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:58 am

if you're sure you have everything backed up you'll need later on you should just delete the partition, then create a new one, then format this partition

note: the installation procedure will take you through every step I mentioned here.

joecuba

Post by joecuba » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:58 am

Your question is quite confused, JVM, but I think there is everything you need to know here http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... ngout3.asp

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:15 pm

joecuba wrote:Your question is quite confused, JVM, but I think there is everything you need to know here http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... ngout3.asp
My question is using the XP cd to boot up when you want to wipe out everything on the hdd, there comes a choice on the screen to Install XP, Repair, and Delete. I believe someone above said Delete and follow along with formatting and creating a raw partition.

I don't recall see the steps for deleting everthing on the hdd in that link you provided. Did I miss it?

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:21 pm

GenghiS_KhaN wrote:if you're sure you have everything backed up you'll need later on you should just delete the partition, then create a new one, then format this partition

note: the installation procedure will take you through every step I mentioned here.
I did choose Delete the partition but I'm at a loss as to why it says XP Home Edition SP1 after I reinstalled XP when I hadn't installed Service Pack 1. I see that when right-clicking on My Computer and choosing Properties.

I know there is only one version of XP on the system because I went to Advanced and Start Up & Recovery/Settings, and it lists XP just once. So how could SP 1 be listed is what confuses me.

Also, when reinstalling XP, I had to put in the Product Code so I am pretty certain I did it right but that SP 1 showing is what I don't understand.