'ultimately quiet’ solution - 0dB ||| WORKING!!!

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

What do you think?

Kosher
33%
Treyf
67%

Total votes: 12

xg2004

Post by xg2004 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:31 pm

Radeonman wrote:The idea of putting the computer somewhere else is common, but has a few problems.

1) As cables get longer, signal degradation becomes an issue.
Yes, when they get to around the 50m mark. Nobody was suggesting this.
I've found this to be especially true with monitor extensions,
What distances? Mine is at 5-6m with the cheapest cable I could buy, and is absolutely perfect with a Radeon 9700 Pro.

though it's probably also a problem with keyboard, mouse, and speakers.
Yes, sure it is. There is a 1 millisecond longer delay between pressing a key on the keyboard and it getting all that massive distance back to the screen... NOT.
Absolute rubbish.
Written by somebody who's obviously not actually using a system like this.

Having USB distance requires powered hubs/repeaters.
Mine are all working fine at 5-6m.

2) You can't exactly get to any optical/floppy drives conveniently.
No, because they don't make external CD/DVD drives, do they?

As someone who has over 850 gigs of data on DVD-Rs, I tend to have to swap those suckers out. And put in new ones to burn.

3) My computer looks cool under my desk. It doesn't look cool next to cereal, cat food, or ramen noodles. Maybe someone else can prove me wrong.
Build another one which you don't actually turn on, and keep THAT under your desk? Why not put it on top of your desk, since you want people to see it?

4) Drilling a hole in the wall isn't trivial.
It's a lot less trivial to do a one off job like this (took me about 10 minutes to drill each hole, if that), than to constantly have to care about what components you are buying for your PC, and pay top dollar for them at that, AND not be able to turn your fans up full blast, which with hard drives is not something I want to leave to chance. I want my drives to be as cool as possible, not to have to worry about how much noise the fan blowing on them is making.

Doing it in an apartment is expressly forbidden. Doing it in a condo is dumb for resale value.
Never hear of filler?
Anybody can refill a 1" wide hole in a wall with filler in about ten minutes, then repaint it the next day, and it's completely invisible.

Doing it in a house is probably quite complicated. Making this hole in the wall look good is even more difficult.
In a house it's easy. It's easy just about anywhere, unless your internal walls are 12" thick. Making the hole 'look good' isn't necessary, just make it under your desk like I did.

So I'd have to vote no for drilling. Besides, quieting computers is a hobby - it's even better than playstation. Winning on the playstation is boring. Quieting the computer gives that feeling of accomplishment. Plus, the playstation isn't a good excuse to buy things like tools or other things with weird names like melamine or sorbothane.
Yes, you've summed it all up right there. Easy, practical solutions are not wanted here...

xg2004

Post by xg2004 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:39 pm

Shadowknight wrote:No offence, but...
Once this solution is applied there would be no need for SilentPCreview, would it?
People come here because they want to make their computer quieter. Most of them would prefer to have it in the room with them, as closets can having overheating issues.
In typical quietPC zealot fashion, you produce a strawman argument to knock down. Nobody has suggested putting the PC in a closet. You presumably live in a house with more than one room. (If not, then obviously this solution doesn't apply to you, though I would suggest putting the PC on the other side of the giant room that you live in, using the cables suggested, with a large sofa or similar dense, heavy object between you and it.

Also, it can be inconvenient to have to lug a big tower out of a closet (or walk downstairs) every time you want to do something with it.
Yes, so don't put it in a closet. Put it in the next room, on the floor. Where you can easily reach it. Just that it's in the NEXT room, so your room is therefore SILENT.

If I need to put in a CD-ROM, or want to check something inside my case, it's right there.
Use an external CD drive. They do exist you know.
You could always set up a CCTV system if you feel you have to constantly check in side the case...

Is my computer silent? No, but it's at a whisper level. It would probably be acceptable to professional studios as a DAW. Even with the PSU under load, the sound isn't remotely bad (not going to stop me from getting a fanless PSU later this year though).
Well, my solution is BETTER than that because it's COMPLETELY silent, and I have a non-modded Radeon 9700 Pro, two case fans running at full speed, CPU fan running at full speed, and still no noise whatsoever!

And I never need to worry about what components I'm buying, what hard drive, what graphics card, what PSU, etc.etc.

You sound unhappy about the noise level of your computer. What type of equipment and fans are you running? What case?
Patronising.
He's not unhappy - he's fixed the problem in the most obvious way- he moved the computer. His problem is now fixed. PERMANENTLY. Yours sounds like it will never be...

xg2004

Post by xg2004 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:41 pm

sthayashi wrote: I'll end this by telling what one of my friends did a few years ago. He was annoyed by his loud computer as well. So he did the exact same thing that you did. He bought a number of really long cables and put the computer in his closet. That worked very well until summer came. When summer DID come, he found that his computer kept overheating and that he was forced to pull it out of the closet if he wanted to continue using it.

Moral: Moving your computer to a quieter location is not always an option for the rest of us.
NO. Moving your computer to a CLOSET is not a good idea. But nice to see that you have to set up a strawman argument to rubbish the idea of moving a PC to create silence.
Do you guys realise how ludicrous you look?

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:43 pm

At the risk of drawing the ire of the mods....

The last response was by Al Bundy on March 08, 2004.

You brought back a thread from 5 WEEKS AGO. The only other thread you've ever posted in hasn't been used since May 15, 2004, the one you started : "Real Silence, Move Your PC to Another Room!". When your thread was around, several people were getting irratible/pissed off, because one side wouldn't accept your idea of moving the computer to another location. You got irritable/pissed off becaise no one wanted to accept your solution and several SPCR members were being very rude.

You got attacked. Fine, you had a right to be pissed at the time.

But, you responded to almost EVERY SINGLE POST. You went past defensive or angry to OBSESSIVE about being proven right.

5 weeks after the fact, you resurrect this dead, related thread back, you make several vicious responses, and attack me and claim that I was patronizing because I asked what system specs Leanux had, in an attempt to help him?

Dude, get over it.

It's great that you love your ultimate solution so much. I don't care. But I'm sick of seeing you posting with this perpetual attitude problem.

Oh, and to the mods: I felt the need to respond to this, but I'm not going to post anything else in this thread. I don't want to start a flamewar, but this was some stuff I felt was necesssary to say.

Inexplicable

Post by Inexplicable » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:22 pm

sthayashi wrote:
SometimesWarrior wrote:
sthayashi wrote: I'd hate to spoil the party more, but I don't think he's using a vacuum cleaner for any length of time. He's simply comparing his computer to one.
I'd hate to be the one that sends the party to burn in hell for eternity, but I think zuperdee was commenting on the need for adequate air circulation in the room holding the computer. Otherwise, it will burn out after a while. :D
If so, then the party has been spoiled on the account of too many metaphors. :P
My vacuum cleaner is really loud. :roll: I've placed it in another room and I almost never use it but now I have a bitch of a time keeping dust out of my computer. :sad: