money no object, what config for QUIETEST

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nightmare66

money no object, what config for QUIETEST

Post by nightmare66 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:13 pm

first of all i dont want to do any seriouse modding, eg. cutting the case or welding soldering ect.

i want a top of the range computer, athlon 64 bitor dual mp(xp)(whatever speed is best) i will be using a western digistal 250 gig had drive + 2 other hard disks that are not loud, 1 dvd writer and 1 cdwr(quiet) everything else is silent

what is the quietest case that will not overheat? (Do i need to buy more fans, if so what type and how many?)
what is the quietest psu (under full load) over 400 watt
what is the quietest heatisnk (that works) and what fan(bought separate)
should i get hard drive cases?(if so whats the best)
what over quet mods/accessories would help?
what is the fastest graphocs card without a fan or a very quiet one?

remember any price is ok, but quiet as poss with no overheating!

i dont expect someone to know all the answers but if you can help with any of the above it would be very usefull!

hero

Post by hero » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:19 pm

Check silentpcreview.com under recommended. ;)

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:52 pm

I think the answer to this question is watercooling. With a northbridge waterblock, a CPU waterblock, and a GPU waterblock, you can buy the fastest processor/mobo/graphics card you can find and not have to worry about sound. Money is no object, right? Then shell out for a watercooling setup and run the hoses out of the back of your case and into the next room to the pump and radiator. That's what I'm doing! :)

WayneSim

Post by WayneSim » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:38 pm

The soon to be released Zalman Case 500a is your best bet for silence. However it is very expensive. And you will have to go for a single CPU (dual CPU's are not that great, unless your "High end" software is writen for them. Which is almost nil). I think the zalman case will cool a 64bit chip fine, however you wont be able to overclock. But do check with Zalman.

Hard Drives are all noisy! You will learn in time! Yes, even Seagate's (which IMO are the best), Although the Seagate barra IV line were very good!

Buy a Zalman heatsink (Zm-50 or Zm-80, without fan) for your video card if it comes with a fan already.

Can I ask what you are using the computer for? This way we can suggest componets that suit you... e.g, We cant suggest a video card unless we know what your using it for. etc.. etc...

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:52 pm

Money no object, you asked for it...

http://www.sharkacorp.com/products/tnn.html

$1200. Plus you have to sign a waiver. Seriously. :D

nightmare66

Post by nightmare66 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:10 am

that case looks good but not avaiolable yet, i need a computer asap.

the answer to your question is performance for gaming however, i will be puting on linux and a couple of differnt os's for work and the internet (to leave on 24 hours a day for d/l)and a dedicated one to gaming, so the straight answer is everything!

water cooling sounds nice but i dont want to be trailing cables from one room to another, i want it all in one place(is the radiator and fan noisy or what?)

the video card heatsink looks like a very good idea! chears for that!

idealcrash

Post by idealcrash » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:44 am

If you're going for absolute silence, you're gonna have to do some cutting in your case, mainly to remove the fan grills. That's the only way to get good airflow at low fan speeds. But if you don't want to do it and money is no object you can always pay someone with experience and the tools to do it for you. :wink:

I don't know of any stock PSU above 400W that is quiet under load. You're gonna have to mod wichever psu you get (cut grills, replace fan, mount isolate it). The only way to make a stock psu fan not ramp up too much is by making a duct to bring in fresh air to the psu, basically isolating it from the rest of the case (then again, that would require some case modding).

Three hard drives, won't be easy to silence them, especially the Western Digital, they whine alot. Stay clear from them and go for either Samsung or Seagate drives. I have a WD 120gb SE inside a Smart Drive 2002c and I still can hear it's whine, but then again my system is very quiet when idle.

Do alot of reading on the forums, recommended section and reviews of this site, it will keep you busy for days. :)

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrzed » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:20 pm

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article147-page1.html

ARM systems kit review from main site:

Not dead silent fully kitted out, but likely as good as can be done with standard components. Pre-built, full warantee, and a positive review from SPCR. Available now.

To go beyond, you'd have to get your hands dirty, or pay someone else to do it for you. I'm sure there are veteran modders here who would be willing to help yo out if money is truly no object.

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:36 pm

As far as I know, the F50 from Voodoo is as quiet as it gets since it has no fans. It's expensive but available now I think.

I should also say that these guys have a pretty good rep with gamers so you should be able to make them understand your needs.

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:02 pm

Well... if money were truly no object then you put the computer in a sound-proofed closet elsewhere in the house and then run long cables for the K/V/M to your desk. In fact, depending on how quiet the computer was to start with, you could possibly even just put it in a closet in the same room and sound-proof that closet, but the ultimate would be to put it in a soundproof closet in another room. Then you could run practically anything you want and never hear it.

Maybe not exactly the answer you wanted, but if I personally had a major budget to work with, that's what I'd do. I already have network cables running through two closets in my house anyway because I didn't feel like doing a wireless network. It wouldn't be a real big deal for me to open up that hole a bit more and run more cables through it.

nightmare66

Post by nightmare66 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:08 pm

that voodoo looks vell good, the only problem with it is it wont take more than 2 hard disks

Beerhunter

Post by Beerhunter » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:46 pm

$15 20 ft keyboard video mouse cable. Done.

If you want box in same room and silent.

-you need solid state hard drives. about $20,000 for the capacity you want and are silent, or samsung spin point which ar'nt silent but quetest it seems , WD suck In my experiance.

You want silent? Go to http://www.highspeedpc.com

-Passive innovatek radiators two of them straped to the sides of case. $144 ea

http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/me ... ovaKonvect
-Ehiem 1250 water pump

-3-4 water blocks precessors, NB and GPU about $350

9800xt- http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/me ... olmaticATi

North bridge- http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/me ... _Code=VGA2

CPU's- http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/me ... ode=XXFlow

-9800pro xt innovatek water cooled

-2.8C pentium will OC to 3.5 on 1.5Vcore very fast.

-Or 2.2 64 will OC 2.4 on stock Vcore faster.

-Pump ehiem 1250/1048 is silent.

- Only need 1 fan in sysem and this will be from PSU. See recommended as I don't know a high power silent PSU.

Case- choose any you like since you are now noise free. I like the silverstones.

nightmare66

Post by nightmare66 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:56 pm

wow, thanks beerhunter, ill definatly be looking into more detailk about the products you mention.

Beerhunter

Post by Beerhunter » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:09 pm

You know toms hardware did a review of a totally passive system/case from zalman..no cutting..no hacking etc. See if you can find that one. Just the case is $1400 but it takes care of all your cooling.

nightmare66

Post by nightmare66 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:17 pm

this one ???
http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20040115/
if so it looks good, will read trommow when i have a bit of free time

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:30 pm

Umm, is it me or isn't this the same Zalman case that was recommend in two other posts? WayneSim reccommended it and you thought it wasn't available yet. Then Beerhunter pointed you to the TomsHardware article on the same case.

According to TomsHardware it has 4 internal 3.5 bays so it can take more than just 2 I think. I would bet that VodooPc would answer the questions quickly if you contacted them. Since money is no object you could just get twin 250gb drives and leave it at that.
nightmare66 wrote:that voodoo looks vell good, the only problem with it is it wont take more than 2 hard disks

nightmare66

Post by nightmare66 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:41 pm

it does look similar but i have not had time to look in detail, after looking at voodoo i found that they DO NOT reccomend using more than 2 hard drives in there pc, they wont even supply you with more than 2 even if you request it, it is probly due to to much heat build up but thats what they say!

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:47 pm

Interesting info. Too bad the limit is two drives. I can understand that being a problem. On the other hand you will definitely win the contest for coolest rig on the block with that case!!
nightmare66 wrote:it does look similar but i have not had time to look in detail, after looking at voodoo i found that they DO NOT reccomend using more than 2 hard drives in there pc, they wont even supply you with more than 2 even if you request it, it is probly due to to much heat build up but thats what they say!

Beerhunter

Post by Beerhunter » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:52 pm

They allow you 4. I just built a system there and it allowed four at least. OMG if I ws rich I'da ordered it by now. $7835 for the system I configed and it was pretty basic!!!

I like they have somehow managed to build a silent PSU. Should be very interesting.

I could build the exact same system from parts for about $3500 if I could only fiqure out how they did PSU and the nice paint job of course.:)

Beerhunter

Post by Beerhunter » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:09 pm

I have no idea how voodoopc.com is costing so much. I confiqured this exact system at both places and Voodoo was $4724 while Newegg/directroon was $2697. Assembly/warranty and nice paint job I suppose makes up the $2000+ difference. Needless to say this will be very close to my next system. I'm so tired of fans which are all too loud and water cooling is a pain in the butt.= when swaping stuff all the time like me.

Much better review than TOMSHARDWARE Look here:

http://www.nordichardware.com/reviews/c ... 12f2b5444a

Voodoo was $4724 vs. Newegg/directron was $2697
Case -TNN500A DIRECTRON $1200

DVD writer- Plextor Black 8X DVD-RW/+RW Drive, Model PX-708A $168.00

2 x Hard Drive SAMSUNG 160GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model SP1604N $186.00

Motherboards - AMD ASUS VIA K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU, Model "K8V SE Deluxe" $141.00

Processors AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 1 MB L2 Cache $273.00

Video Cards POWERCOLOR ATI RADEON 9800XT Video Card, 256MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "XR98T-D3" $419.00

Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack SP1a - Full Version $134.00

Mem Corsair Value Select Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - OEM $176.00

WayneSim

Post by WayneSim » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:31 pm

Well nightmare66, now that I know it's going to be a performace rig. You are going to have a hard time making it quite. It can be done, it just very hard!

It bascially comes down to two paths. You spend HEAPS on money on quite PC products or you fully mod your case and do a watercooling rig.
It's either a lot of money or a lot of time! Most likely both, in the long run. The choice is yours.

Here is my silent rig known to me as SilverSilence. With watercooling it's totally up to you how you set it up. However it does take heaps of planning and time!

Good Luck :)

neologan

Post by neologan » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:30 am

You must go for watercooling and run most of it outside the case. It's the only option really, believe me, i know. I've spent a lot of money on going the air cooling route and you'll be dissapointed, on a performance rig, that is.

Your best option is to go for an eheim 1250 running outside your case, behind a desk or something and isolate it from anything solid. Mine just hangs in the air held up by the 1/2" tubing. Get waterblocks for the cpu, northbridge and gpu. For the rad, get a car radiator :). I'm using a massive Ford Sierra rad that is bigger than my case with a few 80mm silent fans on and i'm getting 28-33c at 2.45ghz 1.75v on an 1700+ XP.

Your only problems with this setup, is time and modifying the radiator as the inlets and outlets are 1" instead of 1/2". Do some research, it will pay off heaps!