Help! Need help narrowing down problem for new rig

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PCGUY

Help! Need help narrowing down problem for new rig

Post by PCGUY » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:40 am

I have the following:

1. P4C800-E Deluxe mobo
2. 3 ghz cpu with zalman cooler
3. zalman ZM400B-APC 400 watts PSU

As per the advice in http://www.motherboards.org/forums/view ... hp?t=39873 kept the mobo in a non conductive surface and connected ONLY the following:

1. 20 PIN and 4 PIN connected from psu to mobo
2. speaker connected
3. Off course the cpu and zalman cooler is connected - I made sure the cpu fan is connected also

That's it! No RAM, No GFX card, NO HDD, NO Floppy or CD is connected!

Made sure the CMOS jumper is in normal state. Powered on the PSU and I see only the green light in MOBO (STANDBY poweron indicator)! No beeps! The cpu fan nor the psu fan is running!

Earlier I shorted the green and black wire of the psu (suggestion by MikeC) and connected tested the PSU and it is working! I connected ONLY the psu to the power and connected couple of case fans to the PSU and it worked fine. The PSU fan also worked! This tells me that PSU is not at fault - Maybe I am wrong !

The above test indicates either the mobo or the cpu is bad! I am a newbie and maybe I am wrong! How do I narrow down which one is at falt? Mobo or CPU???
Need help SOS!

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:54 am

You need to connect up some RAM and a GFX card for it to POST. Note that it probably matters which RAM slot is populated.

If you hook up just the RAM and no GFX card (or the motherboard doesn't recognize the GFX card), then it will beep like crazy. I'm not sure what it does if there's no RAM--maybe nothing.

I'm a relative newbie at computer hardware; I always start off with PSU, motherboard, CPU, RAM, and GFX card before I try to power on a new build.

ChucuSCAD
Patron of SPCR

Post by ChucuSCAD » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:30 pm

IsaacKuo

Yes you must have RAM installed in a system for it too boot. However a graphics card is not needed. A computer will boot up and run just fine without. However it does make it terribly difficult for you to know whats going on.

I would start by JUST hooking up the following:
MOBO
PSU
RAM
CPU
elcheapo basic graphics card, if not avail then any card will do.

NO SPEAKER NO SWITCHES NONE of that

Then use a small screwdriver to short the on/off pins.

Then see what happens. If nothing still happens reclear the cmos and give it another whirl.

If it still does not work and you have the ability A/B out components that you know work with another system.

PCGUY

Post by PCGUY » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:19 am

Correct if I am wrong!

I just connected the following:

1. CPU + FAN
2. 20 Pin connector + 4 pin connector from PSU to mobo
3. case speaker connected

First Try
no gfx, no ram or anything else. My understanding is that when booted the beeps must be heard indicating that ram is not connected - if I do not hear any beeps then I know either the CPU or MOBO is bad! this will be first try!

Is it mandatory for ram to be connected to hear the beeps?

Second try
If I do hear beeps then I go ahead and connected just one bank of ram and boot - If everything goes well then third try

Third Try
Connect the second bank of ram and boot.. If everything goes well then go to fourth step

Fourth Try
Connect gfx card and boot.. If everything goes well connect all drives (DVD, HDD & FLOPPY DRIVE)

Fifth try
Now on my boot I should have a clean oen without any beeps.. Now I am ready to get into bios and later install my os

As a newbie I got the above info from various forums especially motherboard.org -- Can some guru bless this procedure... Thanks

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:47 am

I don't see what the point is of wasting all those times on just beeps, unless a basic POST fails and you don't know whether you even have any trustworthy RAM or GFX card or mobo around.

Both of us here and everyone on that motherboards.org thread recommend almost the same "minimum install". Again, it's:

PSU
motherboard
CPU
RAM (one stick)
GFX card (any - a cheap spare is good)

The only differences of opinion seem to be whether or not to attach a switch or speaker. Personally, I don't bother with the speaker but I do like to attach a power swtich. I've POSTed a plenty with a flathead screwdriver, though.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:49 am

Oh, one other note--if you do attach a speaker, you WILL hear a beep on a proper boot. If there are no warning beeps, the computer will give one solid BEEP after the POST/keyboard test to confirm all is well.

PCGUY

Post by PCGUY » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:00 am

Both of us here and everyone on that motherboards.org thread recommend almost the same "minimum install". Again, it's:

PSU
motherboard
CPU
RAM (one stick)
GFX card (any - a cheap spare is good)
Ok - Supposing I follow your advice - How do I ISOLATE the problems of GFX and/or RAM? The beeps wil indicate that there is a failure but WHAT has failed?? Pardon me if this is a STUPID question - I am a newbie after all :D

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:06 am

Here's something else to consider.....If you have an incompatable type of ram, you could have similar symptoms.

I just finished an ASUS PVR800 VM setup. I used the exact brand and type of ram from a list in the ASUS manual. No boot....fans started but nothing else. A different brand of ram fixed the problem. Go figure... :?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:12 am

I still don't understand whether you actually even have a problem.Do you? If so, please give us the details. Have you tried booting up with just the PSU-MoBo-CPU-HSF-RAM-Vidcard as the other two posters have already suggested?

If that doesn't work, go to your mobo manufacturers site and look for their list of beep codes so you can start troubleshooting.

PCGUY

Post by PCGUY » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:30 am

Have you tried booting up with just the PSU-MoBo-CPU-HSF-RAM-Vidcard as the other two posters have already suggested?
Yes. No beeps. Only the STANDBY power LIGHT is lit in the mobo! I then removed the RAM and GFX card ... same result.

So, my assumption is either the mobo or/and cpu is/are bad - The only way to isolate the problem is to use the cpu in a different mobo or use the mobo with a different cpu - neither of which I have... I RMAed both the CPU and the MOBO and awaiting new ones!

In this thread I am trying to educate myself what is the best way to go about double checking and isolating component problems -- any advice would be much appreciated

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:06 am

Did it ever boot up correctly?

What brand/type/amount of memory are you using?

Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

PCGUY

Post by PCGUY » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:17 am

Did it ever boot up correctly?
No - Monitor is blank and no post beep
What brand/type/amount of memory are you using?
Recommended memory CORSAIR XMS twin 1024-3200c2 1gb ddr400 xms3200 dual channel memory w/heat spreader
Have you tried clearing the CMOS?
Yes - This was also suggested by somebody in motherboards.org and I did this per P4C800-E deluxe documentations

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:29 am

Unfortunately for you, the best way to isolate the problem components is to swap parts with known working parts. You start by trying to POST the minimum system, of course, and if that doesn't work you go to a working minimum system. Then, you swap components from the problem system into the working system one at a time until it fails.

I think most of us here have multiple systems or at least many spare parts.

PCGUY

Post by PCGUY » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:35 am

I think most of us here have multiple systems or at least many spare parts.
I agree! But I am a newbie and this is my first rig :D

I called zipzoomfly.com and told them that either the mobo or the cpu is bad and it is difficult for me to isolate the problem and requested that they mail me replacement for CPU and MOBO! They were very kind and gave me an RMA without any problem! it pays to shop in GOOD online stores just for the RMA!