Where can I find this motherboard?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JWarrior

Where can I find this motherboard?

Post by JWarrior » Thu May 13, 2004 11:26 pm

I'm looking for an 865PE based motherboard with the following features...

- PAT enabled
- Intel CSA based Gigabit LAN
- Intel ICH5R based SATA RAID 1 support
- Passive Cooling Throughout
- Undervoltable (I know this one is the deal breaker, so I can live without it)

I'm 90% sure that Intel has implemented ICH5R SATA RAID 1 support, but when most of the Motherboard reviews were written, only RAID 0 was supported, so it's now hard to tell whether the boards support RAID 1 with a BIOS update, or if it's completely disabled...

Can anyone suggest a board that can deliver this feature set?

Thanks in advance.

Nebor

Post by Nebor » Fri May 14, 2004 12:49 am

Nope, for passive you'll need to mod most boards. And I don't think they make an 865PE board w/ CSA Gigabit lan, you'll need a nice 875 for that I believe.

shathal

Post by shathal » Fri May 14, 2004 1:39 am

Have a look at the Intel D875PBZ board - that might spark your interest (has Gigabit NIC on-board SKU as well) :).

The D865PE boards generally all have a Gigabit LOM (LAN On Motherboard) SKU, as you can see for yourself:
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/

However, they do NOT have the RAID-feature you wanted. That'd be really pretty much the D875PBZ, which you can look up here:
http://support.intel.com/support/mother ... /index.htm

Apart from the CPU, the board is all-passive (yes, the northbridge too). Should be the one for you? Ralph is pretty happy with his - I'm still lacking a PSU to power mine up, but don't see a reason to be disappointed :).

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri May 14, 2004 4:26 am

Why are you specifically looking for an 865 board? Is it a price thing?

Two big thumbs up for the 875PBZ. AFAIK, you'll need to go with the 875 chipset to get the features you're looking for and the 875PBZ is the best non-overclocking (well, it does do +4%) motherboard you can get.Make sure you get a later revision of this board (rev 301, 302 or 303)and run BIOS P22 for the highest performance, most bulletproof setup.I've built several systems with this board and it's just what you'd expect from an Intel board, fast and stable as a rock.

JWarrior

Post by JWarrior » Fri May 14, 2004 11:27 pm

Yes...it was simply for price reasons that I wanted an 865 board. I was hoping to get most of the 875 feature set for a lower price.

Thanks for the advice on the Intel board...it looks like a good candidate...the only thing i noticed is that it lacks a firewire port on board (i'm hoping to pick up an iPod soon).

A question. I'm probably going to post this in the storage forum also, but do you have any experience with RAID 1 set ups using the Intel ICH5R controller?

I know that RAID 0 provides striping on both reads and writes, and RAID 1 provides mirroring...but shouldn't RAID 1 also provide striping on reads? I.e., read alternating stripes from each of the two drives in the array? I read somewhere a long time ago that RAID 1 supports this, but I've also read conflicting information that RAID 1 is actually slower than a single disk for reads (as expected, it is also slower for writes). I'm beginning to think it might be a controller based option as to whether or not RAID 1 allows for "striped" reads. Any idea if the Intel RAID 1 controller allows for it?

trodas

Post by trodas » Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 am

Well, lack of FireWire can be easily fixed by one thing - IIRC the board lack audio :wink:

IMHO not a big deal, who can use the s*itty audio that come from chipsets likely not need audio at all - tough this can be only my own opinion :lol:

But since there is the lack of audio, you probably buy a Audigy card and almost every Audigy card (me rushing to find id even my old Audigy (1) has it... no :? ) have FireWire now, so I did not see this as problem :wink:

The only one problem is, that I did not have any FireWire device, so I disabled mine onboard FireWire on Epox 8RDA+, but I can't disable the FW on my Audigy2zs :lol:

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat May 15, 2004 5:13 am

JWarrior wrote:Yes...it was simply for price reasons that I wanted an 865 board. I was hoping to get most of the 875 feature set for a lower price.
Try the Asus P4P800E - Deluxe. It's got a new Marvell GigLan Controller, SATA RAID 0 & 1, plus onboard audio and Firewire. It's a bit of an updated version of the bulletproof P4P800 - Deluxe (which you could turn on "PAT" in the BIOS. However, rumor has it that Intel has disabled this hack in the later 865 chipsets so it may not be applicable to the P4P800E - Deluxe. If it's really important to you, you'll need to do some reading over at ABXforums before making your decision)

The Intel 865PERLZ also comes close. It's got what you want except for the GigLAN, plus it's got onboard audio and Firewire. This is another excellent Intel board.