Has Anybody Done W2k Prof + Hyperthreading?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PCGUY

Has Anybody Done W2k Prof + Hyperthreading?

Post by PCGUY » Mon May 17, 2004 11:59 am

I am aware that intel does not recommend hyperthreading in w2k pro!

But has anbody done this installation? Any experience to share???

My rig:
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
CPU Pentium 4 - 3 Ghz 800 mhz
1 GB memory

trodas

Post by trodas » Mon May 17, 2004 12:57 pm

Sounds like Im not alone, who did not like WinXP at all and sticking with system w/o such load of crap in it :lol: :P

Sorry, AXP here, but sure someone tell you - after all, this is a CPU thing, and SP4 should take care of it...? :roll:

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon May 17, 2004 1:07 pm

Not that The Inquirer is an impeccable source of knowledge, but these two articles tell you a bit about it:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=5616

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=2571

Googling will probably get you some more trustworthy results.

shathal

Post by shathal » Mon May 17, 2004 3:08 pm

I'd suggest against it, to be honest - XP is the way to go.

For starters, 2000 doesn't "get" Hyperthreading, and thinks that its actually a full DP system (which it isn't, sharing a single cache between two execution units).

Also, a lot of the benefit from HT simply doesn't show up in 2000 is the testing experience, so - sure, it can give you a bit of benefit under 2000 (or - worse - reduce your performance). Really, you want to be doing XP...

HokieESM

Post by HokieESM » Mon May 17, 2004 4:20 pm

Eh. I tried some benchmarks on a P4 3.2EE on an Intel D875PBZ, with and without hyperthreading (we're making "workstations" for our computational group here at VT). Didn't see a whole lot of difference between the two with XP and NONE with Win2K. It MIGHT have made XP a tiny bit snappier when severely multitasking (especially with one resource hog).

Our solution: run Win2K with HT off. :) Unless you multi-task with a severe resource hog running (and it has to be something that repeatedly maxes out your CPU), I doubt you'll notice a huge difference.

PCGUY

Post by PCGUY » Mon May 17, 2004 4:41 pm

I'd suggest against it, to be honest - XP is the way to go.
First off W2k prof is fully matured and I have been using this in my computer for 3 years without any problem. I hate the licensing procedure of XP and do not plan to use it!
Our solution: run Win2K with HT off.
I agree! I have already taken this decision and your confirmation justifies my assumption

Thanks all :D