mounting motherboard upside down

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

andrew-on-spcr

mounting motherboard upside down

Post by andrew-on-spcr » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:31 am

anything to stop my turning my motherboard around so the cpu is down the bottom of the case where it may be cooler? pci slots wouldn't really line up presumably, but anything else?

Nebor

Post by Nebor » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:34 am

None of your onboard stuff (USB, PS\2, ethernet, etc) would be accessible.

andrew-on-spcr

Post by andrew-on-spcr » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:39 am

seriously, who uses that stuff anyway though?

p.s. fair enough, stupid idea

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:23 am

How about mounting everything, then turn the case upside down? I guess you could reverse the fans as you find necessary. It will probably look strange, though -- some clever duct work will accomplish the same, and you won't get strange looks from your friends.

andrew-on-spcr

Post by andrew-on-spcr » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:34 am

haha that's a great idea, turning the case upside down

kesv

Re: mounting motherboard upside down

Post by kesv » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:31 am

andrew-on-spcr wrote:anything to stop my turning my motherboard around so the cpu is down the bottom of the case where it may be cooler?
You could just get the Lian-Li PC-V2000. That case has everything upside down, but is still ATX compatible. There might be others... not sure. We will probably see others following the lead of Lian-Li as the upcoming BTX will follow this upside down approach too.

crypt0r

Post by crypt0r » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:21 am

You could get USB extension cables or an external hub. It's not a stupid idea. Might be worth a try if your video card is radiating a lot of heat.

Nebor

Post by Nebor » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:29 am

crypt0r wrote:You could get USB extension cables or an external hub. It's not a stupid idea. Might be worth a try if your video card is radiating a lot of heat.
How the heck would he hook up his video card when it's sitting inside his case, with no outside acess?

ChucuSCAD
Patron of SPCR

Post by ChucuSCAD » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:59 am

Yes the Lian-Li case does already do this, as far as I am aware is the only one currently that does this.

Your first problem with mounting your motherboard backwards is that your motherboard tray does not have mounting holes for this situation, however this can be easily solved with the use of a drill.

Next problem is how do you gain access to things like your video card, USB, PS2, and etc? This can again be easily handled with extension cables hanging out of the case itself.

Could be an interesting modification, and surely alot cheaper then a new Lian-Li case.

chucuSCAD