Mods Planned out

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Thaine

Mods Planned out

Post by Thaine » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:12 am

The most noisest part in my system is my Antec TrueBlue 480. What I plan to do, is remove the bottom 92mm fan, and cover the hole up. Then replace the rear fan with the L1A 80mm. Also I will make a 90 degree duct to the top of my case, to help keep it as cool as possible.

Additionally add an 80mm side intake over the cpu, and add an 80mm top exhaust fan, both L1A panaflos.

What do you guys think?

SSmith

Post by SSmith » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:19 am

By top exhaust fan do you mean at the top of your case, like the one found in the Xaser III?

That and an intake over the CPU sounds like it would add a lot of noise... I don't know too much about it, but I would think that noise would find those easy escape routes, and the top fan especially could be annoying if you put your case on the floor...

Sounds fantastic for cooling though.

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:40 pm

Yeah I'm just wondering if the L1A + duct can cool the PSU suffeciently?

MonsterMac

Post by MonsterMac » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:43 pm

I think you'd be dandy with just the 80mm L1A in the PSU, and not bothering to put one in teh top of the case, it just creates more noise. Your PSU will probably be cooler than it was before with just that L1A due to the cool fresh air bgeing received, where before it was sucking hot stagnent air off the CPU and from the case.

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:15 pm

Alright. The reason I want to put a top blowhole is because my Super Lanboy has 1 fan in, 1 fan out, so If I add another intake, then I have more air comming in, so I heard its best to have it balanced :?:

streety

Post by streety » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:46 am

What are your temperatures at the moment? There is no point adding additional fans if your system is relatively cool.

I'm actually thinking of replacing the fan in my PSU with a panaflo L1A and putting in a duct from the top 5.25 inch drive. Where the duct should 'sprout' from your case depends on how your computer is positioned in relation to you when you are using it. If it is resting on the floor then a vent at the top isn't a good idea because it's a direct path for noise from the inside of the case to you. You may be better with the vent coming out one of the side panels (whichever is furthest from you). This also prevent you accidentally covering the vent which is always a possibility with a top mounted vent.

With regards to whether it's best to have fans balanced, negative pressure (more fans sucking air out) or positive pressure (more fans flowing in) is, I think, a matter of personal preference.

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:57 am

The case temp, under load is arround 37* - 40* celsius. I don't know if that is good by SPCR standards.

streety

Post by streety » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:07 pm

Is that the temp measured by the sensor on the motherboard or by direct measurement? Either way I would not consider that a problem. As long as your components can sufficiently dissipate the heat they produce then I don't see why that should be a problem.

Whats the temperature of your CPU? You mention you want to want to put an intake over the CPU so I assume it's running too hot for your liking but it would be nice to know just how hot it is.

I also really wouldn't bother about balancing airflow. Remember at the moment you have one fan drawing air in and one fan in your case and a second in your PSU blowing air out. What size are your case fans?

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:10 pm

Both case fans are 120mm, and push arround 32 cfm. They are fairly quiet, but I think I'll undervolt them a tad.

With the silentboost at a really quiet 1500 rpm, cpu temp was 61* celsius, and case was 42 after 10 mins of Prime95

This was with an AthlonXP 3200+, NF7-S, and 9800 pro w/ VGA silencer

streety

Post by streety » Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:40 am

What are your grills like? Unless they are really open you won't be getting anywhere near 32 cfm from your fans. When running Prime95 had the temperature plateaued? I normally wait for the temperature to stabilise but I may just be sadistic.

First of all I would replace the fan in the PSU and build a duct, either out your top 5.25 inch drive bay or out the side of your case (whichever side is furthest from you). Then remove the fan grill s if they are in the least bit restrictive and then see what effect that has on your temperatures. I think there are better CPU coolers available but if you are happy with your temperatures and the noise produced it should be fine.