Undervolt question...

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MonsterMac

Undervolt question...

Post by MonsterMac » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:38 pm

Hey guys; I've just successfully (i think) undervolted my Athlon XP 2500+ to 1.6V, down from (E/V whatever that means, i think it meant it adjusted the voltage as needed or something like that). My motherboard is an MSI K7N2 Delta-L if you were wondering. Anything I should look out for here? If I get errors in Prime95 is that necessarily stability threatening or just Prime95 being picky? Are there any drawbacks from undervolting that I should know about? Dangers? Thanks in advance!

bcassell
Patron of SPCR

Post by bcassell » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:01 pm

Just treat undervolting the same way you would treat overclocking. Make small steps and test for stability along the way. Generally what I'll do is take it down a notch, and run prime95 for 30 min or so. If it passes, I'll take it down another notch (maybe 0.025V per step, 0.05 if you're feeling brave). As soon as it fails prime95, back off a bit and run prime95 as long as you can stand it. I'm a pretty impatient person, so I generally find the setting that will run prime95 overnight without error, and then back off one more setting.

Anyway, I think the default voltage for a 2500+ barton is 1.65v right? Considering how well most of them overclock, they will probably undervolt pretty well too. Have fun, and I hope you end up with a cooler running cpu =)

Bryan

Sniff

Post by Sniff » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:23 pm

I managed to get my 2500+ down to 1.5 volt stable. That was on an 8rda+, running a 10x multiplier and a 200 fsb. I'm certain I could go lower, but that would reduce my overclock....I'll give it a shot and let you know....

trodas

Post by trodas » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:41 am

8RDA+ did not undervolt well... It go to about 1.475V, IIRC - or something like it...

Aftermine died, I now running a MSI crappy replacement (KT6V) and this one allow me Vcore 1.35 - 2.30V - witch is pretty nice :twisted:
(however there are few nasty steps, like 1.850 and then right 2.0Vcore - nothig between :? :x )

The mobo also properly recognizing AXP mobile CPU, however it did not allow me to change multiplier (!!!!!!!!!!!!) and the speed suxx anyway.
But is nice to see this: