Anyone using Benq x120 keyboard?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Anyone using Benq x120 keyboard?

Post by lenny » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:08 am

I already have a Logitech UltraX keyboard, but the wife is looking for a quieter keyboard than her Microsoft Natural keyboard, and I made the mistake of letting her test my keyboard :-) Newegg no longer carries the UltraX, unfortunately.

The Benq X120 (reviewed here) claims to offer "reduced typing noise and enhanced key stability". Amazon has it listed for $21 or so.

Does anyone have any experience with this keyboard? How does it compare in noise and feel with the UltraX?

I did use the search function, it did not return anything relevant for X120 or Benq & Keyboard.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:39 am

Looks to me like that Benq is just an UltraX keyboard with a new facade on it. If I didn't already have three UltraX's, I'd cough up the $21 and try it myself.

Fortunately, you won't even have to take that chance yourself because Axiontech has the UltraX in stock for $19.95.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:25 pm

Thanks, Ralf. Never shopped with Axion but looks like they have pretty solid ratings. Shipping is a little steep, though it'll still end up less than what I paid for the old one.

The Benq's main difference is that it supports both USB and PS2. I can't seem to find a close-up picture of it to see what are the new keys. If it has the power key on the keyboard I'd be all over it. As it is, I think I'd wait to see if I get my old UltraX back from the wife :-)

tempeteduson

Post by tempeteduson » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:24 pm

I've done business with Axion (well, there's an Axion retailer near my house--no shipping!) and I can't say anything negative about them.

winguy

Post by winguy » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:33 pm

Do the x120 keys' labelling fade?

patord

Post by patord » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:18 pm

I have one. It is extremely similar to the UltraX. I'd hazard a guess to say the same factory makes both keyboards in China or Taiwan.

To me the UltraX was too loud for my tastes so the Benq is the same. Any of these keyboards claiming to use some "X" structure mechanism to "reduce" noise from typing is full of BS. The mechanism itself puts out enough audible noise when collapsing (eg, when you press a key).

I just posted my experience with the Microsoft 4000 keyboard. I'll be ditching my UltraX, PSK, Benq, and similar keyboards soon (giving them away or using them for lab/testing computers).