Speedfan Motherboards (variable fan speed)

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

intx

Speedfan Motherboards (variable fan speed)

Post by intx » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:24 pm

I'm looking for motherboards that support variable fan speed control. If your motherboard supports it, or you know a motherboard that does, please let me know.

Supported Motherboards
Abit NF7-S: all fan headers
Asus A7N8X: one fan header
Last edited by intx on Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

Alexaume

Re: Does your motherboard work with SpeedFan?

Post by Alexaume » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:12 am

intx wrote:I'm looking for motherboards that support variable fan speed control. If your motherboard supports it, or you know a motherboard that does, please let me know.
Have you looked on Speedfan supported harware page? What processor do you want to have?

I personnaly have a Athlon XP, with a abit NF7-S mobo : it just works fine, controlling completely and separately deux fans. That was one of the main reason I've choosed that motherboard. 8)

wim

Post by wim » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:29 am

look here

i can verify that mine (asus a7n8x deluxe) does work, but only allows controls on one of the three fan headers

intx

Post by intx » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:29 am

yes I have :) The list is fairly outdated though, I compared it to the list on 8rdavcore's site, and it only has like 2 boards even listed on there. I think most people don't bother to send in reports.

Thanks for your input on the NF7-S, but that board can't support the cnps7000a without modding the cnps7000a. Unfortunately I don't have anything that can cut through the thickness of the clip. So I'm trying to discover what options I have, and pass on the info to anyone else here looking for variable fan speed capable motherboards.

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:18 am

Asus boards have all had Q-Fan for a long time, I run mine with Q-fan off however. Q-Fan won't go below 60% fan speed and doesn't offer anywhere near the same kind of control as a hardware fan controller.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:00 am

If you get any A-Open board that supports "silent-Tek", most do.......you will have total individual control over two fans, either manual or automatic, configurable for varing rpms, at various heat levels. There is nothing better IMHO that comes stock on a MB.

Silent-TEK

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:21 am

Yeah Ive heard a lot about the benifits of paring an Aopen Motherboard with an Aopen PSU, graphics card and optical drives. The mobo controlls the noise output from the lot!

The board can only control fans connected directly to it though ub tobviously that is the limitation of motherboard fan control.

cmcquistion

Post by cmcquistion » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:27 am

I built a Fan Voltage Controller Strip, that I use, alongside Q-Fan control (on Asus motherboards) and Speedfan (on my other systems). This allows me to lower the voltage of several fans, but ALSO have temperature control, in addition to my own undervolting.

You can find a link in my sig.

intx

Post by intx » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:52 pm

I read AOpen boards all have problems when you use all three ram slots. While I probably won't, I don't exactly like the idea of getting a buggy board.

Anyway, anyone have any motherboards they can add to this list? I'm specifically looking for one that supports the CNPS7000A in an Evercase 4252.

But I thought instead of getting everyone to check, I'd get a huge list, and decide from there, and the same list would benefit other people looking for speedfan boards for another criteria.

Thanks

cmcquistion

Post by cmcquistion » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:27 am

Well, most of Asus' boards have Q-fan, so most of them would apply to this list.

I have personal experience with the Asus A7N8X Deluxe and P4P-800E Deluxe. They will both support that heatsink, in that case, and they have Q-Fan for the CPU.

ting

variated fan speed

Post by ting » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:47 am

I have an aopen ak89 max. Ive had it for about a week or so, and i am currently using speedfan. I have also tried the silentek which is bundled with the board. I don't feel its all that good. Though I havent spent so much time with it i have kept using speedfan.

The reason is:
Silentek only gives you rpm info on 2 fans. Though it sounds as if it controls all of them, i have no visual way of telling unless i use MBM at the same time.

The board has 4 fan connectors and one temp connector. Only 3 of the fans have rpm sensors, though all four of the fans i think can be controlled. :?

I have only got 2 speed settings available in speedfans speed settings menu, however they are both able to vary the fans.

But back to fan control. Your best bet i think would to fokus on the winbond chips wich the Mobos use. From my little tecnical knowledge it seems that all fan control software is limited to the ability of the boards hardware monitoring chip. Most boards use winbond i think, but asus uses something they made themselves.

So my ultimate advice would be to find the chips(i.e. winbound etc.), with the best monitoring and fan control capability, then find out which boards have them, and lastly check if the board lets you utilize its capabilities.

If you read the embedded tutorial in speedfan, you will se the creator refferencing his abit, with three speeds. I have only two since my aopen uses the w83627HF chip.

I am a psycology student so i recomend you be sceptical of what i am wrighting. I might be wrong... :? :wink:

ps. This list is good: http://www.almico.com/forumindex.php

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:20 am

IMO Aopen is the only one worth bothering with. All the other's are very limited. The only way you're gona get full control is to use a fan controller.

intx

Re: variated fan speed

Post by intx » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:00 am

ting wrote:So my ultimate advice would be to find the chips(i.e. winbond etc.), with the best monitoring and fan control capability, then find out which boards have them, and lastly check if the board lets you utilize its capabilities.
Yeah, basically I think the board has to utilitize the features of the winbond chip. The only way I can think of telling whether they did or not, except via speedfan's site on the hopeful fact that someone reported the motherboard's capabilities.

But if I use speedfan's site, why don't I just use speedfan's site and skip the winbond step? :D Unless there's some other way I can check.
Well, most of Asus' boards have Q-fan, so most of them would apply to this list.
Asus boards have poor undervolting capabilities though, except their older boards.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:12 am

Checking if a mobo has a specific winbond chip is of no use. Firstly the designers of the motherboard don't need to incorporate all features of the chip. Secondly speedfan must be able to communicate with it through the SMBus. Some SMBusses are not supported. Though that can change quick. As reported in this thread.

ting

Post by ting » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:21 am

Yeah tibors has a point. Here is where my knowlege is lacking. Anyway, I first tried the msi k8 neo platinum. That is a good example of a motherboard not utilizing its winbond. It had 4 fan connectors, with only 2 sensors. I think its chip supported 3. I swapped it in for the aopen. So i suggest you put ak89 max on your "good list" and msi on your "lacking list" :wink:

But to find the perfect board you could try asking the manufacturers. Though something tells me that that is a bit of a hazzle :wink:

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:09 am

Re - the AK89 Max:

I don't bother with SilenTek at all. It's got too many options. Instead, I set the fan speeds manually in the BIOS (SilentBIOS) -- 50~100% is the range, IIRC, and 50% is low enough with 90% of quiet fans. It's totally reliable. If weather gets hot, just go in there and up the fan speed. Simple, effective not subject to Windows/compatibility issues.

And I agree with Jordan -- the other embedded board fan controllers are very limited. Only exception I've found is on some of the Shuttle SFF; there the BIOS fan controls are pretty good.

ting

ak89 max

Post by ting » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:07 am

I find 50% to be to much, so i use speedfan, it lowers the rpm even more, + the fans rpm increase with the temperature automaticly. for those of you who have similar rigs. My speedfan speed is set for cpu: 4%(1188rpm) -7%(1650) and the back case fan to 3%(811rpm) -6%(1233).

I find this to be more than enough to cool my pc at load.

At the moment i still have the antec psu, so it is the loudest ting in my case. The seasonic rev. 3 is not expected to arrive in norway before some time in august :cry:

ps. Just lost my focusing ability so sorry if you spot some lack of coherence in my post :oops:

cmcquistion

Post by cmcquistion » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:36 pm

intx wrote:
Asus boards have poor undervolting capabilities though, except their older boards.
That's a matter of perspective, I guess. What all the newer boards offer are ranges from about 7 or 8 volts, up to 12 volts. Interestingly, the Asus Probe software can lower this even more. What I prefer, on my Asus board, is to lower the voltage, using my Fan Voltage Controller Strip, to a max point, then use Q-Fan to lower it even more. By doing this, I have more fine-tuning control, then either method offers on its own and it is completely at the hardware-level, instead of software.

intx

Post by intx » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:16 pm

cmcquistion wrote:
intx wrote:
That's a matter of perspective, I guess. What all the newer boards offer are ranges from about 7 or 8 volts, up to 12 volts. Interestingly, the Asus Probe software can lower this even more. What I prefer, on my Asus board, is to lower the voltage, using my Fan Voltage Controller Strip, to a max point, then use Q-Fan to lower it even more. By doing this, I have more fine-tuning control, then either method offers on its own and it is completely at the hardware-level, instead of software.
I wasn't referring to the fan volts :) I meant the vcore of the processor, which makes it a not-so-decent candidate for a quiet pc.

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:23 am

Yip all Asus' socket A boards don't allow you to go below 1.575V which sucks for Mobile XPs and hence the reason I am swaping mine for a DFI Infinity (my friend is buying my Asus).

johnjv

Post by johnjv » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:24 am

The AN7 has a great bios controlled fan voltage option. You set the temp for the high and low triggers. Then set the voltage you want at each trigger. Current bios choices between 6 and 12 volts @ 1 v increments. The mb raises the E as the temp goes up. I have a panaflo on my barton so going below 6 might cause ticking anyway. The northbridge fan can be controlled the same way. Stock nb fan on this board stinks, I did have a northpole on it until recently. Even down to 6v I didn't like the sound of the 10mm mag-lev. I took it off and epoxied the copper hs to the nforce chip. This board coupled with a truepower psu and vga silencer works great at keeping my pc the most quiet it's ever been. CAUTION! Abit has horrible customer support, especially with respect to updating the bios for this board. If you don't oc much it is a good board. It you do, use a mobile xp and a tic-tac / enduracell modded bios. Do not even bother to install the uguru software, it crashes, it's a joke. The last version of motherboard monitor recognizes the uguru chip and works well with the board. Sorry I strayed a little, the fan control is my favorite part of the mb.

recumbent

Post by recumbent » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:03 pm

On my ASUS K8V SE Deluxe the CPU fan stops for most
applications such as web, email, word processing. Newer ASUS
motherboards such as A8V Deluxe and K8N-E Deluxe can control
2 fans (Q-fan 2): cpu and case fan. With a splitter two case fans
can be supported.

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:27 am

recumbent wrote:On my ASUS K8V SE Deluxe the CPU fan stops for most
applications such as web, email, word processing. Newer ASUS
motherboards such as A8V Deluxe and K8N-E Deluxe can control
2 fans (Q-fan 2): cpu and case fan. With a splitter two case fans
can be supported.
Great to see Asus are now supporting the control of multiple fans. I was going to buy a K8V Deluxe (S754), but then realised that it only supports CPU fan monitoring and control.

Be warned that not all Aopen boards with Silentek support the control of multiple fans. For the S754 boards, the AK86-L can control 1 fan, whilst the AK89 Max can control 2. This relates to the BIOS control and software control. I’m not sure if the other flavours of AK86 and AK89 offer the same features as the models I listed above.
Aopen’s documentation is lacking in places. The website for instance has a massive list of technical features for both these boards, but no mention of whether they support Cool ‘n’ Quiet. They both support this feature, although possibly only with later BIOS revisions in some cases.

I’ve seen other reports that both Asus and Aopen boards can turn off the CPU fan completely, this is in reference to S754. That seems to contradict earlier reports that the technologies that these companies implemented only allow you to reduce the fan voltage to a predetermined minimum level. Maybe they revised their strategies after Cool ‘n’ Quiet was introduced?