Search For Quiet keyboard is OVER!!

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

liquid_celica

Search For Quiet keyboard is OVER!!

Post by liquid_celica » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:34 pm

I have finally stumbled upon the most silent keyboard i have ever seen/heard. It is the flexible keyboard at CompUSA.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... pfp=BROWSE

there you go. the answer to this problem has finally resolved. There is a mini version of this for those that believe the price is too high

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:58 pm

that thing has to mess up after a while. like ghost buttons or something. something like DDR matts after some months

~RaNDoM

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:48 pm

I would rather have an extremely comfortable and very durable keyboard and have it be a bit noisy than to have a silent keyboard that might wear out soon and is also the standard flat layout.

But then, I use the Kinesis Contoured keyboard, and am a bit fanatical about it.

liquid_celica

Post by liquid_celica » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:24 pm

both post are true., but i actually played around with this thing for like an hour. The rubber is very thick and it feels responsive. Unlike a cheap DDR pad, it wont wear out within three months. It seems durable enough and it is confortable. Only thing that i worry about is the longevity of the sensors. Try it out and you may change your mind. It hecka helps when you have a roommate that complains about late night typing noise.

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:12 am

I use a MS Optical Desktop Pro at home. Love the natural keyboards. It is a lot quieter then the older MS keyboards. I use a Natural Keyboard Pro at work. It is so loud, ppl ask if I am shooting machine guns when I type.

greeef

Post by greeef » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:28 am

RaNDoMMAI wrote:that thing has to mess up after a while. like ghost buttons or something. something like DDR matts after some months

~RaNDoM
Could i ask what makes you say that?

I've dissassembled a few keyboards in my time, they're all built pretty much the same way, like this. And anyway, i think this keyboard's more likely to be typed on than danced on..

griff

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:55 am

I keep one of those rolled up in my toolbox and have had a few occasions to use it and it's pretty funky to type on. The keypress is fairly hard and mushy as well. The key surface is also a bit sticky which sort of tends to grab my fingers as I'm moving from one key to another. It is silent though, I'll give you that much...

Mine hasn't had tons of use, but still works fine after being rolled up for three years, FWIW.

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:32 am

I use an apple pro keyboard - not the new white ones, the very first (black) one that they made, and I really love it as a great keyboard all around. It's not totally silent, but it certainly doesn't make the clicky racket of most PC keyboards.

The windows key and alt key are reversed, but that can be fixed with a simple registry line, and the volume buttons work straight out of the box.

By the way, the very first DDR pad that I ever owned, a $25 Naki, is still running strong after over 18 months of pretty serious use.

liquid_celica

Post by liquid_celica » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:29 pm

If the keyboard ever drops down i may consider buying it. Again with the DDR...How do you still have it working after 18 months!!! ive gone through 3 with the bottom torn to shreds!!!

frosty

Post by frosty » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:23 am

z that is the weirdest keyboard I ' ve seen yet.

luggage

Post by luggage » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:06 am

Liquid: Take off your shoes? ;)

[edit]Slightly On topic: did people in the older threads like the Logitech OEM UltraX? Starting to wonder if silence might overweigh ergonomic disadvatages of retireing this old MS Natural Keyboard. I don't like the new Elite at all, nor Logitech's "natural" one :?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:24 am

luggage wrote:
[edit]Slightly On topic: did people in the older threads like the Logitech OEM UltraX?
I love it and have bought a few to keep as spares. I've been using it daily since that thread started and it's still in perfect shape. It's the best keyboard I've ever owned and I've owned a million of 'em.

Inexplicable

Post by Inexplicable » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:05 pm

Zyzzyx wrote:But then, I use the Kinesis Contoured keyboard, and am a bit fanatical about it.
Neat. I especially like the beverage cup space in the middle. Stick in a straw and you don't even have to stop typing while sipping the caffeine laced drink of your choice.

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:50 pm

greeef wrote:
Could i ask what makes you say that?

I've dissassembled a few keyboards in my time, they're all built pretty much the same way, like this. And anyway, i think this keyboard's more likely to be typed on than danced on..

griff
Ehh, i never opened up a keyboard or anything, i just figure that since it is flimsy like a ddr matt, that the wiring or sensors will get bunched up like they do in DDR matts.

I dunno, i never used one of those keyboards, i'm pretty happy myself with my MX duo, dont mind typing noise to much i guess.

who knows, maybe you can mod this keyboard with some hard foam like people do with DDR matts

~RaNDOM

mpteach

Post by mpteach » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:55 am

I think feed back noise is the least anoying, it's the constant noise that annoys me. If our keyboards had fans and made noise 24/7 i think we'd pay alot more attention to them.

Sam Williams

Post by Sam Williams » Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:29 pm

Good point, mpteach... After all, footballers have fans and make noise 24/7, and look at all the attention they get! :D

:D

Right - I'll get my coat. Again.

Okatha

Post by Okatha » Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:45 pm

Heh, I have one of those old style buckling spring keyboards. Noisy as hell, but I've just never found a membrane keyboard that I enjoy typing on nearly as much.