Ionic breeze cooling

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Dunno

Ionic breeze cooling

Post by Dunno » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:34 pm

Thomas Eddison, Graham Bell, the Wright brothers, were all thougt to be crazy...Initially.

Maybe I'm really crazy but if you'r broad minded and have a good grasp of physics, and dont mind doing some reading...

First read this
Thenthis
And finally
this

:idea: Having read the above the idea of an external WC'ing setup, similar to an Exos, but using the Ionic breeze effect, combined with convection, instead of noisy fans, popped into my crazy head!
pHEW! :D

The first reaction of some will be: " :shock: 30 000Volts on MY rad! What a shocking idea!" :

My reply:
The radiator is earthed just like your case etc. So no probs with overvolting your CPU...erm... by quite a bit. :lol:
If you are still not convinced I suggest you put on a pair of oven mits; carfully unplug your monitor; and trash it! Because an old one, or two, is exactly what you will use for the 30KV power supply. It also happens to be shooting electrons through your screen and into your head RIGHT NOW! :shock:

You will end up with a dead quiet WC'ing system that is extremly efficient due to the breaking down of the air boundry layer on your rad, and perhaps due to the replacing of heat excited electrons by 'calmer' ones that Blomgren referres to in the first link.

Post you flames below! :D
"Me like flames. Me crazy!" :twisted:
Last edited by Dunno on Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

somebody

Post by somebody » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:55 pm

Your links don't work.

Dunno

Post by Dunno » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:11 pm

Oopz!

Links fixed.

THX for the heads up!

ceraf

Post by ceraf » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:11 pm

dang...i must say, that's pretty l33t. interesting concept, but the efficiency of it...

Straker

Post by Straker » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:43 pm

ceraf wrote:dang...i must say, that's pretty l33t. interesting concept, but the efficiency of it...
...is also insanely amazing.

This R&D continued for 3 years until it was disrupted by the murder of Paul Morasca. When I realized that Paul Morasca was terminated by the US Government, I folded up the project at Hercules, Cabazon, and Sonoma Engineering.

The research data and equipment from the entire project went into storage. I have effectively been on the run since I shelved the project in 1984.

typical. :(

the second two links don't have as much to do with this, lifters are almost common knowledge now, not sure why noone has done anything much with them; horrible efficiency/power requirements for sure, but still plenty of applications. i think there was a short thread about using this effect for ventilation here a week or two ago... but nothing related to the first article.

Dunno

Post by Dunno » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:24 pm

I know its not cool to link to other forums, but it was Cathar that got me thinking about quiet airflow. :idea:

Besides I should be in bed.

Pro Cooling[/url

camrath

www.RexResearch.com

Post by camrath » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:43 pm

Great links, Dunno. :D
I especially liked the RexResearch site:
If You Value This Unique Service, Please Send Your Check, Money Order or Cash in any Amount or Currency, Stocks, Bonds, or other Financial Instruments, Grants, Endowments, Retainers or Bequethals, Vehicle, Vessel, or Real Estate Titles, Seeds, Equipment, Tools, Precious Metals, Jewels or the Philosophers' Stone ( Thank You ) to:
Rex Research, PO Box 19250, Jean NV 89019 USA
Now there's a site that know's what it's about. :lol:

Twill

Post by Twill » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:58 am

So youère saying that I could go to *The Sharper Image* and buy one of those *Ionic Breeze* Fans they have, gut it and hook it up to my rad for a fanless WC experience!!

Must go consult physics gurus now!

Twill

chrisb71

Post by chrisb71 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:15 am

There was an article on this in Wired a few years ago. Basically, it works, but scientists can't really agree how.

Besides, those ion breeze coolers put out ozone. Ozone is not very good for you, which is why they say put a maxiumum of one per 500 sq ft. (I've heard rumors that people have gotten sick that had a bunch of them) So you don't want to say make a super powerful one.

(Ozone is only good way up in the upper atmosphere, not down here :) )

I had one for awhile (for air cleaning, not for my cpu), I don't really think the CFM will match a quiet fan. I mean, you can feel the breeze, but it's not much.

Twill

Post by Twill » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:32 am

Yah I didnt think those things moved much air, but would be cool, that's fro sure.

Twill