Pin-pointing small computer noises.

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Pin-pointing small computer noises.

Post by Bluefront » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:14 pm

There are many ways to do this, including un-plugging components one at a time. That can work, but it's not always successful, and is a pain..... There's an easier way:

It's called a Mechanic's Stethoscope, and can be purely mechanical like the photo.....or electronic using a small battery powered unit, and a pair of headphones. I use the type in the photo.

What it does is amplify noises at the probe end (use a non-conductive type), while at the same time lowering the noise from near-by components. You can find the source of any small noise in a computer.....no guess work involved. Auto parts stores sell these things, also JC Whitney. Cost...cheap. From a few dollars to $20 or higher.

If you're real cheap, make your own out of a small hollow tube...just don't poke your ear. :D

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:20 pm

I have gone the cheap bastard's route every time so far. I use an empty roll of paper towels instead of a stethoscope.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:58 am

HammerSandwich showed me the el cheapo method which is just as effective. We were able to trace some of my car noise to a lifter.

Now if only this tubing method were effective for low frequency noises, which my current problem right now.

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:22 pm

I have also found that simply sticking the handle end of a long screwdriver or similar item in my ear while using the blade as a probe works fairly well, and doesn't require any tools you don't already have.

As a minor note when using the mechanics stethescope, be careful with the probe, hitting it on things can HURT due to noise amplification! I hate to think what sticking it in a fan blade would sound like.

Gooserider

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:36 pm

The problem with the "Screw-driver to the ear" thing is you can't see what you're doing very well. I've never minded buying seldom-used tools if they are cheap. This stethoscope could last a life-time, and you'll find many uses for it. If you're using the cheap DIY device, be sure to cover your other ear to eliminate other noises. This technique works....