Passive A64 Heatsink?? The Alpha U18C

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Passive A64 Heatsink?? The Alpha U18C

Post by sthayashi » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:36 am

Did I miss a meeting, or did this heatsink appear under the radar? It might be a little heavy and large for a normal motherboard in a tower case, but it should be worth looking at from an SPCR perspective.

http://www.micforg.co.jp/en/cat_opterone.html

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:45 am

With coolers like that and these coolers from Nexus, I always find passive a bit misleading. They are designed for 1U and 2U 19" rackmount systems. In these systems there is normally a large amount of airflow around the CPU socket, because of the multitide of high CFM case fans.

With the tight spacing between the fins, I don't think they will be very effective in a typical low flow silent PC. But if you construct a shroud and duct to an exhaust fan these might be usefull. Especially in a HTPC with a horizontal motherboard.

Prozzaks

Post by Prozzaks » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:45 am

Passive Heat Sink. Suitable for 2U System.
2U systems are rackmout server cases about 4" high where noise is not a consideration. That kind of enclosure usualy feature at least 4 fans spinning at insane speeds. They provoide a sufficient air flow for a passive A64 cooling solution, but I don't think that in a standard PC such an heatsink would do much good... unless it's paired with a kind of duct.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:10 am

Then shouldn't Alpha and Nexus specify the amount of airflow going over the heatsink? Man, if I had a hot system, I'd definitely experiment with those heatsinks.