Software fan speed control?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Dimitris

Software fan speed control?

Post by Dimitris » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:12 am

Hi all.

I've been looking for a soft that would enable me to change the speeds of my cpu fan and one case fan. They both have rpm monitoring so it shouldn't be a problem.

I came across two programs, speedfan and hmonitor. However none of them work. They actually detect my sensors, the speeds of the fans and all the temps, but changing the speeds doesn't change anything!

Any ideas? Do you guys know ny other software like this?

Thanks.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:42 am

Speedfan works with a wide variety of boards. Please check that you are configuring it properly. What board are you using. Maybe someone here has configured speedfan with that board.
-cheers

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:10 am

As you can see on Speedfan Support page. There are several motherboards where Speedfan can detect the chips and read the fanspeeds, but cannot change them. Generally that is caused by the design of the motherboard. The designers just didn't connect the PWM pin(s) of the superIO chip to the fan headers. If that is the case then no software will be able to control the fanspeed.

Dimitris

Post by Dimitris » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:38 am

Thanks. I'm using an Asus P4PE. I'm gonna check the support page ;)

je_zza

Post by je_zza » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:44 am

By the way, rpm monitoring does not mean you have any ability to change the speed of the fan - it is just to read the current speed of the fan.

markjia

Post by markjia » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:26 am

I have the P4P800 SE, you can control the fan speed. I've done it with speed fan, however, only the CPU fan connector can be controlled. If you want to use software to control multiple fans, then you will need to wire a second fan to the single connection. Here is one way to do it:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... inal+strip

It will do what you want. You can even use Asus' Q-Fan rather than have to have software running.