anyone use power supply vibration dampeners? (antec, vantec)

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dmoskowi

anyone use power supply vibration dampeners? (antec, vantec)

Post by dmoskowi » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:08 am

just wondering if anyone has used these with any success? sounds a little gimicky to me.

scara

Post by scara » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:04 am

I use these as a kit was supplied with my case.
I dont think they really make a difference since PSU's don't generally vibrate much in my experience. For the PSU to vibrate enough for these dampeners to work, it'd need two or three poor quality (thus vibrating fans) at high rpm, which means its going to be noisy anyway.

One of these kits would be practically last on my 'silencing to do' list.

EDIT: maybe you should touch the back and side of your PSU while its running and see just how much its vibrating.
I've never used an aluminium case but I suppose they might be more useful on them.

rtree

Post by rtree » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:58 am

Gimmick ... I bought the Vantec one for my aluminum Kingwin KT-424. I would have been better off putting that money towards a quieter power supply. :(

Talz

Post by Talz » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:28 pm

The gaskets can and will dampen vibrations, really this is normally not a problem for a well built case (steel or aluminum) if you have quiet parts to begin with. But really you are better off doing something like acoustipack first imo, it costs a bit more but is much more silencing for your buck on a quiet pc. I know they made a noticably bigger difference on a system I built using Vantec stealths than on undervolted panaflos L's and similiar fans. It seems likely the gaskets might be the better deal when using monster deltas, tornadoes and such. There might be a bigger difference on cheaper flimsily constructed cases as well, a category which includes a lot of somewhat expensive aluminum cases imo.

ActionAttackJohn

Post by ActionAttackJohn » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:15 pm

It's a good finishing touch, but not the end-all of PC silencing. You'd be better off just finding a kid with braces, and stealing four of the little rubber bands for his teeth. They slip right over the power supply screws, and work nicely.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:13 am

I got both fan gaskets and PSU gasket from Vantec. The PSU gasket is thick and soft enough to provide infinitesimally small improvement to vibration. As for the fan gaskets - total junk.

Those silicon thingies have to have some thickness to them to be able to absorb any vibration. Most supplied ones are too thin. The only thick one I know is the Acoustiproducts gaskets but I haven't tried them

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:26 am

I have two different brands of psu gaskets in use at home. One is very thin and does not do much to reduce vibration, but the other one (one of the brands is Sharkoon, not sure which one though) came with silicon rings and elongated screws along with a thick gasket and that one actually helps somewhat in an aluminium case. But of course, in order for the thing to actually do anything, the psu should be vibrating/generating noise to begin with. If a psu is quiet already, a gasket won't add much. The fan gaskets do next to nothing IMO; I have them between my heatsinks and 80mm fans but that's only because putting them there made me feel better than throwing them away.

These products definitely fall in the "finishing touches" category AFAIC.