DVD drive boot up noise

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Project

Post by Project » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:01 am

umm normally drives dont make a noise when they boot up. not mine i think. Do u have a disc or something in it that makes it spin the noise

Qwertyiopisme

Post by Qwertyiopisme » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:11 pm

I had an old pioneer *slot in* dvd reader and it made a cd-eject noise whenever the computer was started. I dont think there is any way to disbale this...

Chris Ochre

Post by Chris Ochre » Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:26 pm

mine does that. i'm guesing it's just part of the drive's initialisation process.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:38 pm

Try disconnecting the IDE cable from the drive and see what it does. Then it will only be powering on and not part of the BIOS bootup sequence. I'd guess that it will still make the same noises, its part of the powerup sequence for that drive.

Putz

Post by Putz » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:13 pm

Zyzzyx is correct. It's part of the power-up cycle of the drive, unfortunately. After four years of faithful service, I still love my slot-load PIoneer, except for that dratted boot-up eject sequence. I think it's it's to make sure there isn't a disc stuck halfway between being inserted and ejected when the drive powers up.

aidanjm2004

Re: DVD drive boot up noise

Post by aidanjm2004 » Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:43 am

mycarsucks wrote:greetings,

this is my 1st post. i'm a pc enthusiast interested in pc noise suppression, which to me is the holy grail of pc computing, not overclocking your cpu to an insanely high speed.

anyway, i have a pioneer dvd drive that makes these loud mechanical noises when my computer boots up. is there anyway that i can stop it from doing that? i've tried adjusting the boot up devices in BIOS so that only my hard drive boots up.

Thanks,
Hi. I just bought a Liteon DVD-ROM drive, thinking I'd watch some movies on the desktop while working. Like yours, my drive makes a noise when the computer boots. It's a ratchety, mechanical noise. Worse, when I put a DVD in the drive, it hisses like an angry snake! And it makes an irritating constant noise when a disc is playing; it's by far the loudest component in my computer. Actually, it's the only component I can hear without sticking my ear up to the case. Even when a disc isn't playing, it seems to give off a lowish pitched yet somehow irritating noise. Big disappointment.
Last edited by aidanjm2004 on Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Putz

Post by Putz » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:10 am

Lite-On drives are known to be noisy, unfortunately. My Pioneer is mid-pack during normal operation, but the boot-up noise is very irritating.

I can't hear any odd noises coming from my new LG drive. It makes some noise when reading/writing, but it's relatively quiet, and it makes no strange boot-up noises. There are some new Pioneer and Samsung drives that are reputed to be quiet and of good quality as well.

aidanjm2004

Post by aidanjm2004 » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:54 pm

Putz wrote:Lite-On drives are known to be noisy, unfortunately. My Pioneer is mid-pack during normal operation, but the boot-up noise is very irritating.

I can't hear any odd noises coming from my new LG drive. It makes some noise when reading/writing, but it's relatively quiet, and it makes no strange boot-up noises. There are some new Pioneer and Samsung drives that are reputed to be quiet and of good quality as well.
I've been reading a bit about Samsung optical drives, maybe I'll give one of those a try, or perhaps an LG drive.

alexb

Post by alexb » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:16 am

All drives make that noise, it's the way they check and communicate with BIOS that they exist on ur system. Now, some are louder than others, but you simply cannot eliminate that. If you have a CD/DVD in there, it's much louder BTW.

Having said that the slot pioneer (I have that one too) boot-up noise is a little higher and I believe it's becuase it's a slot. My new NEC 3500A DVDRW still makes the same boot-up noise, but is not as loud as Pioneer and is WAY quieter in operation... may wanna consider that for an upgrade.

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:22 pm

Yeah, my Pioneer 105 DVD-R/W makes a "hissing" noise when it boots up.

-Ed