Antec Sonata vs. Antec Super Lanboy

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

xxkrnxstylezxx

Antec Sonata vs. Antec Super Lanboy

Post by xxkrnxstylezxx » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:24 pm

Hello

Well i ordered a Sonata for $65 (after rebate) from compusa last week, but it's on back order. And I don't know if I will receive it in time to send the rebate. So I'm not sure what to do.

I can get a Super Lanboy for around $55 after tax and rebate, but I will have to buy a separate power supply, for around $60 (probably Antec True380 unless there is a quieter PSU for the same price).

I know the Sonata is quiet because of its single fan PSU and quiet 120mm fan. The lanboy will have 2 x 120mm fans (maybe louder?) and a dual fan power supply. How much louder will it be.

I like the lanboy's design better and it's slightly bigger. But I don't want a loud computer, I want as quiet as possible. Sonata is plain but stylish and i heard it was very quiet.

If I don't get the sonata for $65, it'll be around $115 - same price as the lanboy with power supply.

Can someone please advise me?

Thanks!

teknerd

Post by teknerd » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:08 pm

the sonata is much quieter than the lanboy. simply because the lanboy is not designed as a quiet system. however you might want to consider the slk 3700bqe instead. you can get it for about 80 bucks online with its power supply.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:20 pm

Or the new 3000B without any lousy powersupplies and choose your own nice PSU - a Seasonic perhaps. $59 plus shipping on Antec's webshop

btw. WELCOME TO SPCR !!!

xxkrnxstylezxx

Post by xxkrnxstylezxx » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:37 pm

thanks burcakb

are those two quieter than the sonata? I always thought the sonata was the quietest...

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:23 pm

I wouldn't use "quiet" or "quietest" for any case. As far as I've seen all cases require some modding to be quiet. We tend to rate cases on the basis of what you can achieve after modding.

Sonata is relatively better than the others out of the box. It's got better exhaust grills, a higher quality PSU that you still should do a fanswap to get quiet and it looks nice. The negatives are cramped insides, a hdd case arrangement that largely blocks airflow, horrible front fan placement, horrible bezel intake.

The 3700AMB/BQE/3000B have excellent layout and a larger inside than the Sonata. You can get much better airflow throughout the case allowing you to run your CPU/GPU fan and possibly your PSU fan slower. The included PSUs aren't any good though so you'd have to change those. Fortunately the 3000B has no PSU so you can choose a much better one like a Seasonic

Click Thor's Hammer in my sig to see what I achieved with 3700AMB. I also own a Sonata and even though I did every possible mod I could think of and have much less powerful hardware inside, it's nowhere near as quiet as the 3700AMB.

I'd say you could get a mildly quiet setup with a Sonata with out-of-the-box components but you wouldn't be able to go far with it. 3000B would allow you a nice setup (if you choose a good PSU, I'd say as good as the Sonata) on startup and get quieter as you master the different ideas.