Computer desk to case intake duct

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mr_Smartepants

Computer desk to case intake duct

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:35 pm

Hi all.
Here's a pic of my latest idea.
My desk has a 3 inch plenum area underneath where my Sonata case sits in our kitchen. The desk sits off of the floor by about 1/2" all the way around. We have stone tile floor in that room so the air near the floor is much cooler than inside the desk alcove. I cut the hole with a jigsaw and covered the hole with modders mesh. So far it's lowered my case temps by 2 deg F with the door closed (I used to keep it open for ventilation). I plan to experiment with sealed ducting next week (ie taping off all other intakes except the bottom hole and maybe line the area between the bottom hole with foam rubber to ensure all intake air comes from under the desk exclusively.) Soundproofing foam (melamine) will also line the whole inside of the desk alcove in a future mod.

Any ideas/comments?

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:52 pm

If you have a computer placed in a desk, cupboard and such, I think it's a great idea to take advantage of any eventual space that are underneath it to provide air to the computer. It's easy to adapt the space to your liking, any noise from the computer will have a hard time reaching your ears and, not least of all, the direct path to the cold air down at the floor is undoubtedly beneficial. To seal off any gaps will probably be a good thing to do, not only regarding air intake, but also to prevent any noise leakage.
I complained about my desk not having any space underneath it when I was planning for the set-up of my server/router, it really would have simplified the matter.

ddrueding1

Post by ddrueding1 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:43 pm

Loks good. Another thing to plan for is the exhaust. If the back of this computer cubby is closed, I'd reccomend cutting a vent hole near the top. If it's open, I'd reccomend blocking most of it with MDF and allowing space for cabling and exhaust.

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:36 pm

ddrueding1 wrote:Loks good. Another thing to plan for is the exhaust. If the back of this computer cubby is closed, I'd reccomend cutting a vent hole near the top. If it's open, I'd reccomend blocking most of it with MDF and allowing space for cabling and exhaust.
Nope, the whole back of the desk where the PC sits is open which is where all of the noise seems to be coming from. We're going to move the whole desk into our new house extension in a month or two when it's finished and I plan on using convoluted (egg crate) noise cancelling foam from mcmaster on the wall behind the desk.

Mr_Smartepants

Re: Computer desk to case intake duct

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:22 am

Mr_Smartepants wrote:...and maybe line the area between the bottom hole with foam rubber to ensure all intake air comes from under the desk exclusively.
I just reread that statement and realized how dumb that actually sounded. My Sonata's intake has been modded to open up airflow but only opened up to roughly 1" x 3" (3in sq). That's roughly equal to a 60mm fan, NOT the 120mm fan opening in the front of the case. :cry:
I'll have to rethink my idea. Man, I can't wait to get into watercooling!