First time builder builds cool & quiet system. Thanks SP

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

stromgald

First time builder builds cool & quiet system. Thanks SP

Post by stromgald » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:46 am

THANKS SPCR!!

I know it has been said before, but SPCR is a great resource of knowledge on building your own quiet computer. Anyways, I’d like to just throw in my two cents from my experience in building a new computer over the holidays. As a first time builder that went through these forums pretty thoroughly (IMHO) there are some things that I didn’t know that might’ve helped. Hopefully, this will help some people who browse through these forums as a first time builder. Here’s the specs on my new computer:

AMD Athlon64 3200+
ASUS K8V-Deluxe Motherboard
1GB (2x512MB) Mushkin PC3200 DDR400 RAM
Gigabyte nVidia6800 (Non-Ultra) AGP
Seagate 80GB SATA HDD
Western Digital 160GB HDD (from my old computer)
ASUS 16X DVD E616P2
HP 10X CD-RW (from my old computer)

Antec SLK 3000B
Fortron Blue Storm 350W THN-R PSU
Zalman 7000B-AlCu
TriCool 120mm fan (came with the case)
Papst 4412FGL 120mm fan

Cost: ~$1125 w/ shipping and tax

Temperatures:
Case: 26ºC (ASUS Probe Software)
CPU: Idle: 42ºC (ASUS Probe Software), 47.5ºC (BIOS)
Load: 57ºC (ASUS Probe Software)
Note: From, what I’ve read discrepancy between the software and BIOS comes from the fact that the two sensors are in different places. ASUS’s temp probe is in/under the board in the CPU area and the BIOS reads from a sensor in the processor die itself. Also, these temperatures are with both side vents of the SLK3000B blocked. I need to get around to getting some wire mesh to keep dust bunnies out before I open them up.

Gripes, Grievances, and Comments:
Much like the sample that SPCR received, my SLK3000B did not have a manual, which caused a few problems for me. Although most of it was pretty simple to figure out, with no experience with an Antec case, I wasn’t sure of how some things worked. I looked at the CD-ROM mounting brackets and tried to slide them in from inside the case (like my old Dell and IBM), but it wouldn’t fit. It took me a little while and cost me a few scratches inside the case to figure out that I should pop the front bezel and slide the drives in from the front. However, this method is much easier than with my old computers. I was also only able to pop open the front bezel because I remembered about the small tabs mentioned in SPCR’s review of the 3700BQE :) . The case seems quite sturdy and good, although the finish on the case isn’t as nice as the ones on the BQE. An included manual or even a downloadable online one would be a big help for new system builders.

Unfortunately, I didn’t really look into Seagate’s SATA HDD. There’s some mention in the forums about how they’re nosier than their IDE counterparts, but I must’ve missed them. I just thought Seagates were generally quiet and had a nice warranty. The SATA drive has less seek noise than my WD HDD, but intense read write operations creates some rumble.

I also ran into some compatibility issues between the Zalman 7000B-AlCu and the ASUS board. I looked at the board before buying it and it definitely had enough clearance. However, ASUS attached a metal back plate to reinforce the area around the CPU for heavy heatsinks. The standard AMD retention bracket is attached to the ASUS back plate via screws, and the plate is glued to the bottom of the motherboard. I thought about removing it, but didn’t want to damage the board. Fortunately, the holes for the screws on the ASUS line up with the holes on the Zalman backplate since the motherboard is essentially like any other AMD board. The ASUS backplate seems sturdier than the one supplied by Zalman, so I left the standard retention bracket in and used the longer screws from the Zalman to screw all the way through to the ASUS backplate.

As expected, the Tri-Cool fan is the noisiest fan in the system. Even at medium setting it is louder than the Papst at full power. I had originally intended to put it up front at the lowest setting, but the first few times I powered up the system, the fan only started after I have it a tap in the right direction. I left it in the back where I could easily tap it if it doesn’t start on boot. I called mwave, where I got the case, but they have yet to send me a replacement fan like they promised (it’s been 2+ weeks). It seems to start fine now, so I might move it eventually.

Another note for people who are buying a similar system, Windows XP SP2 has trouble if you try to install it directly to a SATA Drive. After a little searching on the internet, I found that you need to copy the drivers off the ASUS CD (done on another computer) to a floppy and tell Windows that you have an RAID/SCSI driver to include during installation.

The Fortron blue storm 350W works fine and my only worry is the 12V line, which is giving me 11.612V according to ASUS Probe and the BIOS. Everything else is well within tolerances. The Gigabyte graphics card is great. I bought it because it has just a heatsink, one less fan to worry about. The temperatures from Gigabyte’s GPU-Tuner reads 50ºC at idle, and 59ºC after some hard gaming.

Overall, I’m pretty satisfied with the system. It’s not silent, but it is quiet. Much quieter than the air conditioning in my dorm room which I really have no control over. The temperatures will probably drop ~5ºC when I open up the side vents. I’ll probably do that and put some wire mesh over them and the front bottom intake. Swapping the fans and setting the Tri-cool fan to low should quiet it some more. Now, time to go drool over the P180 some more :) .

slashdotcomma

Post by slashdotcomma » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:15 pm

Sweet build :D!!!!

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: First time builder builds cool & quiet system. Thank

Post by sthayashi » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:47 pm

stromgald wrote:Another note for people who are buying a similar system, Windows XP SP2 has trouble if you try to install it directly to a SATA Drive. After a little searching on the internet, I found that you need to copy the drivers off the ASUS CD (done on another computer) to a floppy and tell Windows that you have an RAID/SCSI driver to include during installation.
This little step bothers me greatly. I personally don't like the idea that one needs a working computer to help install WinXP onto a computer.

Congratulations on successful quiet PC build.

paulrb

Post by paulrb » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:09 pm

Its true!

I've had to do that twice now. Once because of a SATA PCI adaptor card, and once with a SATA Raid chip built into a motherboard.

XP installer will not accept the required .INF file from anything other than a floppy. Its like starting a modern car with a crank-handle!

Pretty soon, PCs will not usually have floppy drives, and you can bet it won't work with external USB floppy drives, either. Then there'll be trouble!

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:39 pm

Yea, that little problem bothered me too, especially since I considered not buying a floppy drive and getting a larger USB key. I'm not sure if its just Windows XP. Its probably a problem with all Windows since SATA is relatively new compared to the OS. Although . . . I did use a Windows XP w/SP2 CD :? .

Acutally it was slightly more troublesome because the floppy I got from Directron didn't work. One of the pins on the back was sunk in and didnt make good contact. I had to get a floppy drive from an old computer to set it up. I went to Directron the next day and got a replacement. Their service was pretty good, and their new warehouse has a real nice showroom :) .

vbmech

Post by vbmech » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:14 pm

It's too bad manufacturers can't be bothered to include the $0.04 floppy with the drivers on it already.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:12 pm

paulrb wrote:Its true!

I've had to do that twice now. Once because of a SATA PCI adaptor card, and once with a SATA Raid chip built into a motherboard.

XP installer will not accept the required .INF file from anything other than a floppy. Its like starting a modern car with a crank-handle!

Pretty soon, PCs will not usually have floppy drives, and you can bet it won't work with external USB floppy drives, either. Then there'll be trouble!
I'm fully aware of it.

I recently posted that link in another thread, and though I feel like I'm bragging at this point, I think I put some useful information in there and I never want anyone be forced to use a floppy for their installation ever again.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:41 am

vbmech wrote:It's too bad manufacturers can't be bothered to include the $0.04 floppy with the drivers on it already.
Don't blame the manufacturers, blame MS!

I don't want no stinking floppies with my hardware.

And there are operating systems which install without any problems to a SATA-only machine.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Re: First time builder builds cool & quiet system. Thank

Post by lm » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:13 am

stromgald wrote: AMD Athlon64 3200+
ASUS K8V-Deluxe Motherboard
1GB (2x512MB) Mushkin PC3200 DDR400 RAM
Gigabyte nVidia6800 (Non-Ultra) AGP
CPU, MB and RAM are chosen well.

Passive-cooled 6800 sounds really good also.
stromgald wrote: Seagate 80GB SATA HDD
Western Digital 160GB HDD (from my old computer)
As soon as you feel the need for increasing your hdd capacity once again, i recommend you to go for just single drive. That will reduce noise and heat a lot. And your WD drive is probably one of the most noisiest parts.

So when your upgrading, just sell both old drives and buy a single big quiet drive. Those seagate 7200.8's might be good once their prices drop to a tolerable level.

Your case doesn't have those rubber mounts for the hard drives which were on the other antec models, which quiet down those rumbling drives a bit. But the hdd cage of your case should be easily removable, so you could suspend the drives.

Or you could buy a hdd enclosure or vibration dampener that goes into those bigger drive bays. Several are available.
stromgald wrote:
ASUS 16X DVD E616P2
HP 10X CD-RW (from my old computer)

Antec SLK 3000B
Case should be good. As for the optical drives, since they don't spin all the time, shouldn't be no problem either.
stromgald wrote: Fortron Blue Storm 350W THN-R PSU
So why wasn't it a Seasonic Super Silencer rev3 or Nexus nx4090?
stromgald wrote: Zalman 7000B-AlCu
Good choise, but the XP120 with a quiet 120mm fan of your choise would have been even better. My zalman 7000 is my computers noisiest part atm (not that it's actually noisy, but it's still noisiest).
stromgald wrote: TriCool 120mm fan (came with the case)
Do you actually even need this fan at all? Just put the papst in the back, and drop this fan altogether. Temps shouldn't change much if at all.
stromgald wrote:
Papst 4412FGL 120mm fan
Great fan, i have one too and it rocks. Definitely the quietest component in my machine when running at fanmate minimum settings.
stromgald wrote: Cost: ~$1125 w/ shipping and tax

Temperatures:
Case: 26ºC (ASUS Probe Software)
CPU: Idle: 42ºC (ASUS Probe Software), 47.5ºC (BIOS)
Load: 57ºC (ASUS Probe Software)
Note: From, what I’ve read discrepancy between the software and BIOS comes from the fact that the two sensors are in different places. ASUS’s temp probe is in/under the board in the CPU area and the BIOS reads from a sensor in the processor die itself. Also, these temperatures are with both side vents of the SLK3000B blocked. I need to get around to getting some wire mesh to keep dust bunnies out before I open them up.
Kill asus probe software, and install Mother Board Monitor 5. It can display both the diode and the socket sensor outputs at the same time. It is free to download.
stromgald wrote: Overall, I’m pretty satisfied with the system. It’s not silent, but it is quiet. Much quieter than the air conditioning in my dorm room which I really have no control over. The temperatures will probably drop ~5ºC when I open up the side vents. I’ll probably do that and put some wire mesh over them and the front bottom intake. Swapping the fans and setting the Tri-cool fan to low should quiet it some more. Now, time to go drool over the P180 some more :) .
With my suggested changes, it should become much more quiet.

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:38 am

Actually, there are rubber mounts in the 3000B, but they're similar to the ones used in the 3700AMB because the drive doesn't really 'sit' on anything. It's just screwed into the cage, and there's rubber grommets at the contact points. This is probably the best you can do without adding drive rails. Suspending the drives would be nice, but since I move the case around often, I'm not sure how feasible that is. An enclosure that fits in the 5.25" drive bays would be good. I doubt I'll ever use up all 4.

Blue Storm PSUs were especially cheap from AxionTechnologies when I bought mines. It was only about $40 for the 350W model. A 350W Seasonic would've cost $15-20 more. The Blue Storm is far from the noisiest components in my case (at the moment the tri-cool fan and HDD).

The Zalman 7000B-AlCu was choosen for a similar reasons: cost and weight. The cost of an XP-120 or XP-90 plus the additional quiet fan required was ~$10 more than it is for a Zalman. In addition, the combination of an XP-120/90 with a fan is heavier than the Zalman (assuming ~85g for the fan. With the fanmate, the Zalman turned down low (<8V), it is quieter than the Tri-Cool fan at medium.

I plan to keep the Tri-Cool fan up front and set at low just to make sure my HDD stay cool. It probably isnt necessary, but I'll play it safe for now.
It really bothered me at the beginning how the fans were mounted into the case, but there really hasn't been any rattling or much resonance. Still, I would've been much happier with those rubber mounts that people keep complaining about snapping.

I'll have to look into MBM 5. I tried to use it on my Dell once without much success. But then again, that was a Dell.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)