Vinyl Barrier

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Grayfox

Vinyl Barrier

Post by Grayfox » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:15 am

Was wanting to put some 1 or 2lb per sq ft Vinyl in my case to block sound from my fans and hdd so i wanted to see if anyone knows of a place online that sells them at a resonable price and wont make me buy 20 feet of it.Im looking to get around 8 feet.Thanks.

frankgehry

sound barrier

Post by frankgehry » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:38 am

There are a lot of places where you buy these products. I've seen the barrier in combination with foam at JCWhitney - the auto parts place. You can also try www.mcmaster.com. If those don't work out google whispermat. There is a review of some of these products on this site. Maybe some others can recommend some more sites. - FG

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:04 am

That stuff is expensive to ship due to its weight. You could duplicate its functionality with some roofer's tape (just like Dynamat), and a top layer of Paxmate acoustic foam.

Roofer's tape comes in long rolls, maybe 8" wide......much cheaper than Dynamat. Home Depot sells it as do other hardware stores.

hvengel

Post by hvengel » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:38 am

Roofer tapes comes in many sizes. I have a roll that is 12 inches wide that I got at Home Depot about 2 years ago. I think it cost me about $10 or $12 and it is enough to completely cover every panel of 3 or 4 PCs. Very cheap and makes the panels of a PC dead . May not be as good as Dynamat per unit area but it is so cheap that you can use more material without breaking the bank. I even put more than one layer on some larger panels. Clean yur panels with a solvent before applying the tape and it will not come off.

Grayfox

Post by Grayfox » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:59 pm

Thanks guys for the reply.That roofers tape sounds like a plan.Just had a Home Depot open a few months ago like 2 miles from me so this is perfect.