NForce 3 250GB heatsink/AGP card, obstruction :[

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dedogs

NForce 3 250GB heatsink/AGP card, obstruction :[

Post by dedogs » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:07 pm

Good day to you all, :lol:

PROBLEM
-----------
My graphics card (GF6800GT www.ntt.pl/images/News/Galaxy%20GF6800GT%20s.jpg) has a huge cooler under it that takes up another pci slot. My northbridge/southbridge 'NForce3 250GB' sits directly underneath the graphics card with a heatsink/fan on top THAT MAKES TOOOOO MUCH NOISE.

I WANT A FANLESS NORTHBRIDGE HEATSINK :D

My Motherboard is EP-8KDA3J ( http://www.pconline.com.cn/diy/diy_quan ... -p1369.jpg )

WHAT I NEED
-----------
Fanless heatsink that has a height of less than 2.6cm and can fit onto the NForce 3 northbridge.

You’re saying to yourselves well go look… I looked for about 4 days now after university and cant find anything except the one Zelman makes and ones that are far too high to fit.

I’m starting to think I’ll buy a new motherboard just to get a passive northbridge solution. Even if you guys know where I could buy the default one that comes with other mobo’s but I can buy it separate I would love it !!

Thanks Guys and Gals, im stuck.

P.S. I’ve been around all shops in my city and none sell anything suitable Except Zelman sell a video cooler that I might be able to modify i.e. make a bracket so it fits in the mobo holes and chop one side of the fins off. That’s the only solution I see.

I have included pictures of the current set up at this link:
www.angelfire.com/tx5/jamesdedogs/index.html

lol - give me a mark out of 10 for drawing. :roll:

Korwen

Post by Korwen » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:14 pm

I have this exact same problem. My solution (as soon as I get some free time) is to give my Zalman passive heatisnk a "haircut" so to say, and then install it. I'll just cut it to the height, and hope that works.

luggage

Post by luggage » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:39 am

Look at the components around the SB. Perhaps you can "comb the hair" into a split instead of cutting it all? :)

dedogs

Post by dedogs » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:17 am

yeah thats true.

If i use the zalman heatsink and then mod it so only the fins that are fouling get removed it would be easy.

Will the zalman heatsink be enough for the NForce 3 as i think they run a bit hot?

looks like thats what im gona do though

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:12 am

I've got an nForce 3 250 Ultra motherboard with the Galaxy Glacier 6800GT, and I successfully "combed" a Zalman NB-47J to fit under the nVidia Silencer 5 fan on that card. Details are in the thread linked in my sig. There have been a couple of other threads on this topic, do a search.

Some people have found that slowing the fan down using the software that comes with the motherboard works adequately.

Once you've quietened or removed the chipset fan, perhaps you might consider fanmating that graphics card fan?

dedogs

Post by dedogs » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:37 am

I did best part of 30 searches on these forms and on others before posting must not be good at search terms, i don't know :cry: .

I'm gona use a zalman ZM-NB32J by the looks of things and bend the pins outa the way http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/vi ... 5&code=014

how about using one of zalmans video card heatsinks and bending or cutting one side out the way? http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/vi ... 4&code=013
might have to use adesive to mount though.

never even thought about fanmating the graphics cooler :twisted: my next move sorted. :wink:

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:15 am

Fair enough, you've melted my heart, I did a few searches myself...

Just searching for "NB-47J NB47J" (without quotes) gave the best results. I've linked three of the best at the end of the thread in my sig.

dedogs

Post by dedogs » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:13 pm

thanks for the searching spod,

i was meaning i could not find anything when i first came here i.e. i was searching for 'northbridge heatsink' 'heatsink' even 'sink', '8KDA3j', 'NForce 3 heatsink'.......

all of which gave be a load of nothings.

if i would have had the idea to use a zalman i might have got the results in the first place and then not posted this sorry.

i know how annoying it is when the same posts are asked over and over again.

peace out.

BOT_toNka

Post by BOT_toNka » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:16 pm

I don't know if this one will fit but research it.
http://www.pcsilent.de/en_pdet_revnbbl.asp

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:11 am

Just about any Northbridge Coolere that fits will work OK.

I have just replaced my main PC with a new Mobo + CPU.

My systems are.

3500+ 0.9 nano, on an MSI K8N-NEO2 (939), before even testing that the board worked, I removed the HS/Fan, and replaced it with the slimline Passive cooler that came on my K8N-NEO1 (754).

The NF3 Ultra doesnt seem to make any more heat than the NF3 250GB, and that only needs a small heatsink.

So, just about anything will do that fits.

Andy

dedogs

Post by dedogs » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:05 pm

I have done the mod and now everything is working great.

I have posted up some pictures of the mod and my comp for you all to see.
http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/jamesdedog ... index.html

Current system temp, Full Load : 25 C
Current CPU temp, Full Load : 52 C

Current system temp, Idle : 22 C
Current CPU temp, Idle : 32 C

Room temp : 18 C

no temp for northbridge aka Nforce 3 250Gb, but system is very stable so i dont see it over heating. I also felt the heatsink with my hand and its barely warm.