Oh no! A nightmare motherboard from Abit...!

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

meglamaniac

Oh no! A nightmare motherboard from Abit...!

Post by meglamaniac » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:11 am

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/pro ... &model=262

Five, that's FIVE onboard fans before you've even put the heatsink on. Arrrgh!

*runs a mile*

Lifecycle

Post by Lifecycle » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:44 am

... and not just any five fans, but what look like five 40mm screamers... :evil:
Dual OTES™ keeps the system cool in the heat of battle.
But what about that ringing in your ears? :P

The irony is that the board would most likely still run great without at least 4 of those fans... :roll:

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:13 am

:shock: :shock:
:?

:lol: :lol:

scotty6435

Post by scotty6435 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:30 am

So much for their revolutionary cooling systems :lol:

gitto

Post by gitto » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:45 am

Looking into my crystal ball six months from now I see... a new member to our forums.... going by the handle of Fatal1ty....

:D

apd

Post by apd » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:37 am

Wow! I remember what got me hooked on to this web site. The Abit IC7 G motherboard.

The little buggers (mini fans) sound like a midget on a motercycle. Well 4 motorcycles in this case.

Apd

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:39 am

Hah, without even clicking on the link, I knew it was going to be one of those "F4tal1ty" boards. :) I think we did a thread on this a few moths ago.

(Where's the :barf: emoticon?)

Smoken Joe

Post by Smoken Joe » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:01 pm

I hope they are not as bad as the NB fan I could hear that one little fan in another room. It really is not a bad idea for overclockers but if history repeats they dont use the best fans no one can stand those for long. I am actualy thinking of some of the same cooling but with quiet fans and ducting.

Denorios

Post by Denorios » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:23 am

Why do they bother? I thought that the evidence was fairly conclusive on the subject of deliberate main memory cooling i.e. it just isn't necessary. And those bloody little 40mm screamers are so unreliable, you'd think that board manufacturers would finally realise that it's easier just to use big passive heatsinks. Sigh.

What's the betting that the fans will crap out after six months and turn out to be impossible to replace? :lol:

ckolivas

Post by ckolivas » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:26 am

Denorios wrote:Why do they bother? I thought that the evidence was fairly conclusive on the subject of deliberate main memory cooling i.e. it just isn't necessary. And those bloody little 40mm screamers are so unreliable, you'd think that board manufacturers would finally realise that it's easier just to use big passive heatsinks. Sigh.
Why even ask that question? It's all about benchmarketing [sic]. Any old bullshit can be pushed onto the market. It's the old "solution looking for a problem" that is solved by meaningless advertising convincing people they need some worthless product.

Denorios

Post by Denorios » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:46 am

ckolivas wrote:Why even ask that question? It's all about benchmarketing [sic]. Any old bullshit can be pushed onto the market. It's the old "solution looking for a problem" that is solved by meaningless advertising convincing people they need some worthless product.
I just hoped Abit would steer clear of that sort of thing. They've managed to do so in the past. And this particular piece of bullshit is so big that you wonder what they were thinking of. Overclockers may know bugger all about silencing, but they usually know their cooling quite well. This is so transparent it's unbelievable.

ckolivas

Market forces

Post by ckolivas » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:47 am

Perhaps the overclockers actually asked for that nonsense?

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:03 am

Look at the tough guy pose by frailty. Maybe he's in great pain from the noise that motherboard is making.

Smoken Joe

Re: Market forces

Post by Smoken Joe » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:27 am

ckolivas wrote:Perhaps the overclockers actually asked for that nonsense?
Not as absurd as it might seem it is a whole diffrent world for some many have one computer to use and one to overclock for benches.

Take a look at this guys MB and all the fans he has on it I am sure he is not done :roll:
http://img172.exs.cx/img172/5128/img1548small7fd.jpg

With certan specal memory you need to run it to 3.2V or greater and a fan on the memory is pretty much required at high volts. Of corce no boards except DFI can run this much voltage stock so mods are required.

Of coirse to kids loud means fast just look at the fart pipes on ricers real overclocking has nothing to do with this. It should sale well.....and make a lot of converts to silent computing later.

scotty6435

Post by scotty6435 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:51 am

He's suffering from a nasty combination of fan noise, RSI and premature arthritis.... Ah the joys of gaming :roll:

greeef

Post by greeef » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:31 pm

i must say, i speak to two people regulalrly who like to have loud fans so "they can hear it's working"

It also means cd/dvd burning doesnt irritate them, as it cannot compete with the cooling fan noise.

Personally i think they're insane.