MBM v SpeedFan

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

teknerd

MBM v SpeedFan

Post by teknerd » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:06 pm

Which is better between these two for monitoring. The thing that confuses me is that speedfan reports temps 10 degrees lower.

elasticdog

Post by elasticdog » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:45 am

I like them both, but for different purposes. I like SpeedFan for its charting capability, and MBM for its logging and high/low/ave chart. You can also use SpeedFan to adjust the speed of your fans, and change the RPMs automatically based on temperature, which can help to quiet your system. They are both great programs, but just depend what you want to do really...

That is weird about the temperature difference though...they should be the same. Are you sure they're set up to be reading the same sensors?

Ray

Post by Ray » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:09 am

if speedfan supports rpm adjusting on your fan and of course go with speedfan, only other benefit I ee with mbm is that you can label the temp such as "cpu" or "case" and "cpu fan" vs speedfan's "temp1" or "temp2" and "speed1"

coldmist

Re: MBM v SpeedFan

Post by coldmist » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:14 am

teknerd wrote:Which is better between these two for monitoring. The thing that confuses me is that speedfan reports temps 10 degrees lower.
In speedfan v4.19 ? and later, you can go into the Advanced settings tab and there is an "offset" for every temp. Just subtract 10 for that temp.

On my GF6800GT, I had to add 26'C to get it to match the driver's value.

Qwertyiopisme

Post by Qwertyiopisme » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:40 am

Ray wrote:if speedfan supports rpm adjusting on your fan and of course go with speedfan, only other benefit I ee with mbm is that you can label the temp such as "cpu" or "case" and "cpu fan" vs speedfan's "temp1" or "temp2" and "speed1"
You can cahnge the names of sensors by clicking on them once in the settings page and typing in a new name.

teknerd

Post by teknerd » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:17 am

Thanks for the advice. The funny thing is that my case temp is right on target in speedfan but my cpu temp was about 10 degrees off (according to the bios) so i set the offset and now everything is great.

mai9

Post by mai9 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:31 am

elasticdog wrote:I like them both, but for different purposes. I like SpeedFan for its charting capability, and MBM for its logging and high/low/ave chart.
SpeedFan can also log (not that you say that it can't)

esn

Post by esn » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:19 pm

mai9 wrote:
elasticdog wrote:I like them both, but for different purposes. I like SpeedFan for its charting capability, and MBM for its logging and high/low/ave chart.
SpeedFan can also log (not that you say that it can't)
Personally, I've found the log function to be too limited to be of any use to me. It outputs the following to Excel: xxxxxx53.5 where xxxxxx is the timestamp in seconds(?) and 53.5 is the temperature reading. It would be more useful to have an HH:MM:SS time stamp and to have the file as CSV so that it could be read into Excel with the timestamp and temp in different columns. If anyone knows of a way to easily convert the data, please let me know.

BTW, I do prefer SpeedFan over MBM for many reasons. One being the fact the MBM, after many years of existance, is no longer supported.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:51 pm

esn wrote:If anyone knows of a way to easily convert the data, please let me know.
Depends on what you call easily. The fact that the file has a .csv extension is a bug IMHO. This file is not comma separated, it is tab separated. So the first thing to do is change the file extension to .txt. Then open it with Exel. Pick the right choices in the wizard "Import Text" and you'll get everything it's own column.

Then I put the formula for the number of seconds in a day in the first cell of the first empty column. =24*60*60 in cell E1 when you have logged three different values. Next I put the formula =A2/$E$1 in cell E2. Then I change the formatting for cell E2 to the time format I want. Lastly I doubleclick the selection handler to fill the whole column.

This actually sounds like a lot more work then it is.

BTW I like that he uses the number of seconds in stead of a HH:MM:SS format. If you want to parse the log with a script or other code, then a single number is easier than a formatted string.

bobkoure

Post by bobkoure » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:48 am

teknerd wrote:...my case temp is right on target in speedfan but my cpu temp was about 10 degrees off (according to the bios)...
You may find that the BIOS is showing your socket temps and the speedfan sensor you're looking at is the CPU diode temp (or vice versa).
Sometimes which is which is non-intuitive. If you watercool you'll likely see a lower diode temp than socket. And neither sensor is accurate or even linear, of course...