How can I see my memory voltage in Windows?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

meglamaniac

How can I see my memory voltage in Windows?

Post by meglamaniac » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:09 am

I'm not sure this is the right place to post it, but it is to do with cooling... sort of.
One of my friends is having some intermitant crashes and I'm not entirely convinved his motherboard is setting the memory voltage correctly - I think it might be overvolting it and causing it to overheat. It certainly gets VERY hot to the touch.
I've tried setting it both on SPD autodetect and setting it manually to no avail.

So basicly I was wondering if there is a program anyone knows of that will allow me to see the memory voltage from within windows so that I don't have to trust that the BIOS is reporting it to me correctly.
Thanks.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:27 am

Hello:

SpeedFan (if it works for this motherboard) shows a "Vcore2" on my motherboard as 2.61v, which would seem to be the RAM voltage. It seems pretty accurate on the "Vcore1" voltage at 1.4v (which I have dropped from 1.5v).

BTW, the RAM on this Athlon 64 nForce4 machine also gets quite warm (warmer than I have seen before), and yet it is totally stable. Have you run any memory tests, or Prime95? It could be crashing for all sorts of reasons -- though this thread would need to be moved, to System Advice!

meglamaniac

Post by meglamaniac » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:44 am

Ah interesting, I'll give that a try next time I see him

Thanks.

Krispy

Post by Krispy » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:12 am

You don't say which mobo your friend has, but you could try taking a look at 8rdavcore. Provided it is supported, this will enable you to see VDimm & also adjust it up & down whilst in Windows.

http://www.hasw.net/8rdavcore/

I have found it's readings a few tenths out when compared to MBM5 & Speedfan, but as it has allowed me to undervolt VCore for the first time I am absolutely ecstatic!

Best of luck, I hope it works for you.