Remote Desktop Appliance as an Approach to Silence

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Queue

Remote Desktop Appliance as an Approach to Silence

Post by Queue » Wed Dec 04, 2002 6:18 pm

I've been fiddling with a "poor man's tablet", a Sonic|Blue ProGear.

http://www.mira2go.com/

It is a pretty damn fun toy, and I have to put my ear against the thing to try and hear the HDD (which is the only thing that makes any noise). I loaded it up with a copy of XP Tablet (that I procured from an MSDN subscriber buddy.)

It is a bit lacking in CPU horsepower, but when I need it, I just connect to one of my AMD XP 1600+ or 1700+ boxes through the WLAN! With XP Pro (running on the host), setting up remote desktop is a snap!

I wouldn't recommend it for watching videos, but it is a nice little portable surfer/email reader/thought jotter etc.

Queue

Bigg

Post by Bigg » Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:06 pm

this is a good idea. ive seen a review of remote accses only machines in pcmag. it is a good variation of the tried and true kvm over cat5, for silence. Im sure that it sux f/ gaming, and music, but when u are shooting at perople a million zillion times a second in counterstrike, or listening to loud music u probobly won't hear your two 7000 rpm deltas, in front of the noise of a first-gen 15k drive :lol: ok, im just kidding about the delta and the 15k, but u get the point :D

Queue

Post by Queue » Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:10 pm

richardames

Post by richardames » Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:37 pm

A related approach is to run remote desktop software on a low powered easy to silence machine in order to gain access to a more powerful but noisier machine somewhere else on a local network. For the silent machine, you might even run a diskless workstation using something like the Linux Terminal Server Project software. For remote access, VNC (Virtual Network Computing) would be a good choice because it's free and supports a number of platforms.

DaveSimmons

Post by DaveSimmons » Fri Jan 31, 2003 11:56 pm

run remote desktop software on a low powered easy to silence machine
There is a "beta" version of VNC for Windows CE 2.0 (MIPS and SH3), so buying an old Handheld PC or Pocket PC might be an interesting way to remote-control another box.

Lithium
Patron of SPCR

Post by Lithium » Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:27 am

I had a simple solution although it might not work for everyone.

My computer was relatively close to a door. After some rearranging it is now behind said door and 90% quieter. However this really is a pain for swapping CD's etc that's why I'm looking into a quiet solution for my next PC.